Veeam ONE Review
Performs capacity planning of virtual and backup environments. Does cost failure modeling.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features, amongst other brilliant features, are:

• Veeam ONE Reporter: Reporter is the reporting server part of Veeam ONE. It is accessible via a web console, providing featured packed templates (workspace) and dashboard widgets.
  • Close-to-accurate capacity planning of virtual and backup environments.
  • Host failure modeling
  • What-if analysis in case one host has to fail
  • Determining if all production VMs will be continuously available on fewer hosts.
  • VM optimization by identifying over/under-allocated CPU and memory resources, i.e., right-sizing.

Generating reports is based on your selection criterion and parameters, giving you presentable views for VMware and Hyper-V infrastructures for:

• Backup infrastructures with disk, replication, and tape jobs
  • Backup repositories (capacity planning for forecasting)
  • Virtual infrastructure trends and alarms
  • Virtual infrastructure hosts, clusters, data stores, and VMs

How has it helped my organization?

Complete visibility into compute, storage, and backup resources.

It helps us to meet our client SLAs by optimizing resource usage with tremendous cost-savings (charge-back).

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more drill-down and granular coverage of the compute stack and virtual infrastructure elements for Hyper-V.

I am comparing this to more features already available for VMware environments. I read that more features have now been added in version 9.5 and that the current ones have been enhanced.

We have used this solution for four years, since version 6.5.

There have been no stability issues so far.

A lot of improvements are made with each new release, as long as you follow the proper and guided upgrade steps.

You also have to take into account the initial best practice deployment with optimal configurations that meet our clients' virtual and backup estates.

There have been no scalability issues so far. Our Veeam ONE servers are implemented as hosted VMs, as opposed to physical machines. These are easily scalable in terms of resources.

We used other solutions previously. We are still using SolarWinds Virtualization Manager, version 6.3, in conjunction with Veeam ONE.

One of our large clients decided to acquire Veeam ONE based on their own research. This decision was seconded by us.

We found the reporting and capacity planning tools were really what they needed. That helped us support them better. The cost savings was the driving force.

The initial setup was fairly easy and straightforward with guided wizard-driven configurations. The single-server is used for small to medium size enterprises.

Much larger virtual and backup environments with separate dedicated servers require advanced deployment.

Depending on the edition (Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus), all license costs are calculated per number of physical CPU-Sockets, in each hosted, server hardware.

I evaluated Turbonomic 5 (formerly VMTurbo) before. It is a master and “monster” of capacity planning for virtual environments of any size. It is feature-packed and fast.

However, I first started working with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager and still use it in the workplace. I use it extensively for VM sprawl and storage monitoring which is easier for me with this product. It also gives us recommendations on resource sizing/tuning. Veeam ONE and Turbonomic do this as well in their own efficient ways.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for complete visibility into your VMware and/or Hyper-V infrastructure with seamless integration of Veeam backup & replication environments at no additional cost, then look no further. It just works.

Just “picture it”: