Virtustream xStream Review

Improves efficiencies, has encryption, and great mission-critical customer support

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution to host our mission-critical applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The equipment that they are hosting the application on is much better than what we were previously using. Once we made the move to this solution, we received efficiencies, 100%, 200%, even up to 1000%, depending on some processes.

What is most valuable?

The solution has encryption which we did not have before.

What needs improvement?

Our account representative was inexperienced, they could improve on how they are managing accounts. We gave them this feedback when they sent us a survey.

I have been using the solution for six months.

We had no issue with stability.

The scalability is very good but we have requested additional servers, which you can do, but they are pricy.

On the Virtustream back-end, six to ten people use the solution. Just monitoring and looking at the backups, making sure that the reports are coming out as they say.

The customer service is mission-critical with great service.

I rate the technical support a nine out of ten.

Previously we had an amateur solution where we were managing on our own data center but we had the management in-house. It was a strategic move to give people who were more competent and with business focus other core initiatives. It was a strategic outsource model. The equipment we were using was out date and at the end of its life cycle, we had to make some transitions, do a hardware replacement, or move on. We moved on to this solution.

The setup was a complex process but we managed very well.

For the implementation of the solution, they have great tools to manage the transition. Their tech team is well experienced and gave great support.

The solution is a bit expensive, we are still negotiating the price. There is a feature that allows you to pay in a different way, which we were interested in, they allow you to choose to be charged by power, CPU, or processes or one of those metrics I can not quite remember. It is a charging per use scheme. If you turn them off or you turn them down, you can save yourself some money.

What other advice do I have?

Before you move forward in changing to a new solution do your research, negotiate hard, and make sure you get senior people to work with the transition.

I rate Virtustream xStream a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Virtustream, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.