vRealize Log Insight Review

A log analysis and alerts system that is inexpensive compared to the competition

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for system log collection and analysis.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about the solution is the interactive log analysis and then that we can use the analysis to send alerts.

What needs improvement?

I think there are a lot of areas where the product could be improved. To start with I would like the capability to do additional customizations, like integrating with third-party products. Every customer that we have is not using Log Insight. For those people who are using Solarwinds or Splunk or any other monitoring tool, there should be an option to forward the logs from Insights to the other products and options for this that we can choose. It would be good to make it so we can start forwarding logs and analysis to other monitoring systems.

It would be good to be able to increase log retention. They improved log retention in the latest version. Before it was only 30 days that you could keep the logs, but in the latest version, they have increased that limit to a number of months. One thing that goes along with the enhanced log retention is we need to have a lot of space to store the logs.

So, integration with other monitoring tools and log retentions are things that should be more under user control. We need to have additional storage, fine. That is okay, we have a lot of storage at our data centers and if necessary we can put in additional disks.

But the license cost is too much. Compared to the storage costs we will have to increase capacity, the license from vRealize will be more costly.

We have been using vRealize Log Insight by VMware for a few years, from 2014 to the present.

I think it is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution. I can say that I agree with the claims that it can be scaled. It is an awesome product. Organizationally it is able to cover our needs completely. Most likely we have nearly 40,000 fixed logs. There are a lot of things that we can do with Log Insight.

We used to have HP OpenView monitoring. Then we moved to Centreon monitoring. Then we moved to Splunk. Then later we changed again to using Log Insight.

The reason for changing finally to vRealize was it based on the fact that we got a vRealize site license site. Log Insight is a part of the vRealize Suite. With this product, we did not need to buy an additional license for log monitoring.

The setup and installations are very, very easy and straightforward. There is nothing that takes much effort and in that way it is fine.

The amount of time that it takes to do the installation depends on how big your infrastructure is. If we are going to do a single node, it may take a few minutes. If you are going to do an installation for a cluster using Log Insight, then it might take some additional time, but it based on the number of modes. It total, it may take an average of twelve hours.

Log Insight does not cost much when compared to Splunk. The license cost for Splunk or any other monitoring tool is too high. Compared to Insight that way — just looking at the license — the vRealize solution is kind of a cheap and better than other products cost-wise.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people looking at Log Insight as a monitoring tool is that it is good and that they can go ahead and go for it because it is a good solution.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the product overall as an eight-of-ten.

More vRealize Log Insight reviews from users