VxFlex (VxRack FLEX) Review

Good stability and scalability with excellent reliability

What is our primary use case?

The solution is very simple, and not critical. We use it primarily for the Ministry of Electricity for implementing new smart meters in Egypt. It made it easier to handle the billing system.

What is most valuable?

The solution was connected to alternate storage. It provides great scalability and reliability.

The security and the cybersecurity provided are very good.

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue with the solution is that it doesn't support Hyper V. It's a big problem.

The solution needs to adjust its pricing to make it more reasonable.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The stability of the solution is very good. We haven't had any issues.

The scalability of the solution is excellent. We don't plan to increase usage right now.

The technical support is great. We haven't had any issues. The only problem, sometimes, is that you deal with vendors and not specialists. If you don't go with the highest level of support, if it's mission-critical, sometimes you can't get the spare part by the next business day because it's not in stock. It could take around one to two weeks to get the spare part. This has happened with Oracle and Cisco as well. I'm not sure if it would happen with HP, our main competitor.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We had our own team handle the implementation.

The solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're partners with the solution.

It's a good product but the big issue is it must support different layers on hyper-visors because if a customer has something like Oracle databases that do not support VMware, there's an issue with the product. For a customer looking for VMware, VxRack is the best solution. If I need something better or different, Red Hat HyperV is an option, but there's no support. That's a big issue.

If I was just looking at it as a VMware solution, I'd give it ten out of ten, but without the hypervisor support, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.