WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention Review

Helpful email filtering security features and has an easy to understand integration

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that when we send emails and it gives a warning, you can configure those email addresses so that they can only send outside the email.

What needs improvement?

WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention could be improved if they would add a pocket-size, meaning limitations on the data size, where for example an email address can only send 25MB for a month.

In terms of additional tools, I would like to see more graphical reporting tools, with graphs, etc., that are very easy to comprehend. This is especially important if you are reporting to top management so they will fully understand what is happening in the firewall. You don't need to use technical terms or definitions, just show them the graph. That would be good.

I have been working with WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention for one year.

It is stable, though there is a problem with the RAM - it's eating up resources. The RAM utilization sometimes reaches up to 80% - 95%, and what we do is just restart the firewall. Maybe WatchGuard could get it higher.

The scalability is fine for small and medium enterprises, 10Gbps is fine and smooth.

We have 800 employees using it. But for maintenance and monitoring, we only have one IT personnel. It is easy to maintain as long as you have the knowledge and capability.

After five years we will upgrade and I hope that there will be a higher model for WatchGuard. If not we will be looking into other high-performance firewalls, like Stormshield, where you have 20Gbps throughput.

The technical support here in our country is different vendors or resellers of the firewall WatchGuard. So you just have to choose the most reliable vendor for technical support.

We are a group of companies. One company said that their support, their vendor, is good in technical support, but we also have another company saying that their vendor supporting WatchGuard is not that reliable. So it's a 50/50.

We have used the antivirus and also the Data Loss Prevention for USB. But I don't think the antivirus can manipulate your emails, so in terms of a DLP with regards to emails, we have firewalls.

We chose firewall brands based on a group of concepts and brand proposals. We analyzed the best functionalities, not only for Data Loss Prevention but also for the firewall functionalities. I got WatchGuard because of its cost and functionality.

Initial setup is straightforward. They make the integrations simple and easy to understand.

It is fast, only a day or two.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone is to get adequate knowledge. Whatever firewall brand you are going to use, you have to train one IT person for maintenance and support. Sometimes, or oftentimes, you don't want to have to rely on the vendor or the technical support, but to rely on your own IT by making them knowledgeable and capable of maintaining and monitoring the firewalls. Then you're good to go!

On a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, I would rate WatchGuard Data Loss Prevention an eight.

Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Code42, IDERA and others in Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.