WatchGuard Intrusion Prevention Service Review

Provides easy-to-use, real-time protection but the customer support could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use WatchGuard Intrusion Prevention Service to secure our servers. It's usually deployed to protect the whole network and the service.

What is most valuable?

It works right out of the box. You just have to enable it and you can start working. I have worked with other firewalls as well. With other solutions, you have to do a lot of tweaking. WatchGuard is pretty simple to use and easy to pick up.

What needs improvement?

It's pretty simple. It's very user friendly. I don't really see a way to simplify it further.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

It's definitely stable. Sometimes there are some issues, but they usually get fixed with the updates — it automatically updates.

In terms of scalability, the interface and everything remains the same. If you go for a very small device or even a very large device, the user fee and the user experience is the same. So, obviously, you should go for a large device. At any time, if you are willing to upgrade, if you want to scale up, then you can just buy a new device and deploy it. The best thing is that you can just migrate the same configuration from a small device to a larger employee's device.

Regarding technical support, they could use more engineers. There is less support from engineers and they give you less time. There is always room for improvement regarding the support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It can be deployed within three to four hours.

The price of WatchGuard Intrusion Prevention Service is pretty reasonable compared to similar solutions. The pricing is pretty competitive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. If they made it more stable and improved customer support, I would give them a higher rating.

It is mostly for small to medium-sized businesses. Usually, large organizations have different requirements and they look for different kinds of products.

More WatchGuard Intrusion Prevention Service reviews from users
...who compared it with Check Point IPS
Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Cisco, Trend Micro and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: June 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.