WhereScape RED Review

The ​architecture is based on metadata and documentation is automated.

What is most valuable?

• Metadata-based architecture
  • Ability to prototype solutions quickly
  • Automated documentation
  • Great performance

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest win for my organization are the great improvements we have seen in load / refresh processing time over our legacy ETL tool. I was skeptical of the ELT architecture going into our Proof of Concept with WhereScape. I had believed that a more traditional ETL architecture of dedicated ETL servers and applications doing the transformations in memory, then writing to the database, would be faster. It turned out that the ELT approach of using the muscle of the RDBMS was significantly faster than our legacy ETL tool. We are now 2.5 years into using WhereScape and all warehouse code we have converted from our old tool to WhereScape has performed faster; anywhere from 20-80% reduction in processing time. This was huge for us, as increased demand for the warehouse and increased upstream operational system batch processing has really shrunk our batch window. We now have room in our batch window to add more content to the warehouse. In addition to improved performance, we no longer need dedicated ETL servers in our warehouse environment.

The documentation WhereScape provides has also been great. We have always struggled with maintaining documentation on our ETL. It is very nice to get source-to-target mappings, table diagrams, and dependency diagrams, which are up to date, with the click of a button.

Finally, the use of RED has resulted in a much more standardized, easier to support warehousing environment, from what we had prior.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see a GUI interface for defining dependencies between build processes. RED provides a spreadsheet like interface for defining the dependencies between builds. Once the dependencies are defined, RED can produce a nice dependency diagram to give a visualization of the dependency tree. It would be easier to define complex dependency relationships if the dependency diagram were interactive. Our legacy ETL tool provided this GUI dependency definition via a drag and drop diagram which was very useful. The solution provided by WhereScape does work, and the dependency diagrams generated are helpful. It would just be nice to have the ability to define dependencies via a diagram, since dependencies relationships are much easier to understand via a diagram.

I have used it for 2.5 years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not run into any scalability issues. As mentioned elsewhere, we have seen significant improvements in our “ETL” processing times as we have converted our ETL logic and processing from our legacy ETL tool to WhereScape RED. Here is a little information about our warehousing environment:

• Oracle RDBMS
  • 4 ETL developers
  • 15 subject area dimensional data marts
  • 905 tables (production presentation tables only)
  • 1,160,393,098 records (production presentation tables as of 1/31/2017)
  • 1.2 Terabytes of used database space (production only)

Customer service is great. Our interactions with WhereScape staff have all been very positive.

Technical support is great. Two-and-a-half years in, we have not encountered a question we could not answer via a simple search on the Customer Support Portal. There has not been a need to open a support ticket yet.

We previously had a traditional ETL tool, which was being sunset by the vendor.

WhereScape RED has a very straightforward, easy-to-understand architecture, so setup was easy.

The learning curve is relatively mild, so the implementation team was the existing ETL team of four developers. The team did go through a couple-day WhereScape RED onsite training session. We also worked with WhereScape’s professional services on a short engagement to evaluate our legacy ETL environment and come up with an approach for conversion of the legacy code to WhereScape.

ROI is hard to measure, but faster time to market for new subject areas, and increased development with existing staff would be two areas we have seen improvements due to our purchase of RED.

An additional influencing factor in our decision to purchase RED is their licensing model. The other products we evaluated were all CPU-based licensing. The license quotes came in very high for the vendor-estimated CPU needs for our existing data warehouse; this did not include future expansion as our warehouse environment should grow as we add more subject areas.

WhereScape RED licensing is based on developer seat. This is great for us. We purchased a four-seat license and we do not need to worry about architecting our warehouse around CPU licensing restrictions. We can size our Warehousing databases to meet the performance needs of our batch processing and user queries. We can also build and support a lot with four developers.

• Oracle Data Integrator ODI
  • Informatica Power Center
  • IBM InfoSphere DataStage

What other advice do I have?

WhereScape RED has been a great fit for my organization.

7 visitors found this review helpful
6 Comments
GaryMReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

The big boost you mentioned going from ETL to ELT is to be expected (in other words doing push-down of your joins which is what that really means).

That unfortunately is the typical problem with newbie or incompetent ETL developers - they don't realize that ETL tools cannot do joins with any performance due to the pure physics involved (having to bring back full table scans into middle tier with blocking transform) unless they can utilize the push-down capability built into the higher end tools such as Informatica.

I learned many years ago (the hard way) you have to do like 98% of the joins on the database to get good performance in any ETL tool. And this would explain your performance boost going to Wherescape.

The point being - the forced database code generation of Wherescape solved a problem experienced from poor ETL development (and maybe a bad ETL tool?) but could have been solved with proper use of an effective ETL tool. Note I have also used Wherescape and had a completely different experience.

23 February 17
Marketing Communication Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employeesVendor

I like the flexibility of the Wherescape and the ease with which you do the things. It will take just few days of learning to deliver the solution you need. If you are good on the database in which you are pushing your data, then you are good to deliver a high class solution with very less time in learning the Wherescape.

11 April 17
Data Integration Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employeesReal User

It really depends on what your overall goals are for the tools you choose. No doubt about it, WhereScape can do broad data transforms and data migrations more efficiently. It builds on its flexible and high-performance architecture with comprehensive data support and added parallelism when executing data integration processes.

12 April 17
Data Specialist at a tech vendor with 51-200 employeesReal UserTOP 20

The ability to extract from multiple sources, the flexibility and the ergonomics of the WhereScape RED are the features I've found most valuable. Its’ flexibility gives a tremendous developmental advantage to its users, which can use WhereScape as the official tool for any kind of integration project.

15 April 17
Database Administrator at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employeesVendor

Very informative and quiet a detailed review. Helps to know more about the awesome tool. I agree that WHERESCAPE RED is able to access different databases and can work with any kind of database available in the market and provides all the functions indexed in a proper fashion with syntax to allow users to build logic with ease.

25 April 17
Data Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employeesVendor

WhereScape Red has become extremely flexible, extensible and integrated with many other tools and add-ons. It's incredibly cost effective, easy to learn the basics quickly and has an immense user base.

01 May 17