WhereScape RED Review

Improves development time and ease of maintainability

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is Data Warehouse & Mart Development plus data integration and content generation applications. We operate in many environments including Teradata, Oracle, & SQL Server.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution sped up development and allowed for easy maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the metadata generated code and data structures and that it is a fully integrated environment. This has many benefits. It allows for rapid generation of ELT without writing code thus less errors, tracking consequences of changes, tracking transforms, improved ease of maintenance, it uses the data structures directly, it is drag and drop with dialogue entered information. It also automatically includes full audit capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Project-based searching of data objects in the data warehouse browser needs to be improved. When processing stage (work) tables if there are a lot then one has to scroll through a larger list. There is an ability to have projects or subject areas for processing that if applied to source tables would speed development.

On a separate note - those who have criticized this project for having a row based cursor and thus inefficient approach have not understood how the product works. I have used it for 10ish years and >99% of my processing is set based and efficient and supported by the product. It explicitly asks for set based vs row-based processing.

I have been using WhereScape RED for thirteen years.

Very - it is mature and has remarkably few defects.

Used it on a Telco enterprise data warehouse using Teradata. As it uses database processing (ELT) it is dependent on the underlying database. It can scale to very large volumes with the appropriate underlying database.

Good.

I used SSIS - it struggles once the volumes increase substantially, has relatively poor error handling and misses many standard transforms.  I was BI qualified with Microsoft.

Also used BO data services - not an expert but found job management to be exceedingly poor.

Simple. Install - set up ODBC connections, database links to source and install which automatically installs metadata database and job management scheduler.

Multiple implementations and a mix of teams. Generally vendor teams more successful as they understood the product principles and applied these rather than worked in their former fashion.

SSIS, BO Data Services, Oracle stack, Cognos

What other advice do I have?

For the cost it has a very effective bang for buck.

Hybrid Cloud

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Multiple solutions in several environments. I have either been a direct contractor to the customers or a technical director of a company which delivered solutions