Acronis Backup Overview

Acronis Backup is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Acronis Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Acronis Backup?

Acronis Backup 12.5 is the world’s easiest and fastest backup solution for all your data, whether it is located on-premises, in remote systems, in private and public clouds, or on mobile devices. With enhanced backup validation and blockchain-based authentication of your backups with Acronis Notary, Acronis Backup 12.5 is the most reliable backup solution on the market today.

Available in Standard and Advanced editions, Acronis Backup 12.5 protects data on 21 platforms. With active protection from ransomware, 15-second Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs), and backups that are two times faster than the closest competitor, it is easiest to-use, fastest, most secure and complete backup solution available today.

Acronis Backup simplifies the management of data protection and reduces IT manual efforts with innovative features that automate data protection. These features include a zero-installation, unified touch-friendly web-based console to manage backup and recovery of all workloads and data, agentless and agent-based backups; and flexible granular, bare-metal, and dissimilar hardware recovery options.

Acronis Backup is also known as Acronis Backup, Acronis Backup 12.5 Standard, Acronis Backup 12.5 Advanced.

Acronis Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Acronis Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Acronis Backup Customers

Kings Academy, Rush Memorial, Pentagon Credit Union, Oxford School District, New York City Probation, Dolmen Insurance, New Bedford Community Health, Gerard Darel, Ready Honda

Acronis Backup Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

ZS
Engineering Director at IT group
It has improved the efficiency of work

What is our primary use case?

Backing up the whole machine of the workstation.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the efficiency of work.

What is most valuable?

Active protection.

What needs improvement?

The manual is too simple.

Trial/evaluations only.
KB
‎IT Software Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It's possible to use the solution not only on-premise but also in some cloud environments

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for testing, to investigate the program.

What other advice do I have?

it's better to search for a solution from among the top vendors. Acronis is one of them. In any environment you need a backup solution and protection for disaster recovery. You need to use a solution to back up your servers and Active Directory, etc. Acronis is quite a good solution for that. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are the vendor's reputation and the quality of the solution.
Learn what your peers think about Acronis Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Owner at Bloom Technology Group
Takes a lot of the manual work out of replicating backups

What is our primary use case?

I use it for server backups and workstation backups and it performs pretty well.

• "The ability to clone backups."
  • "I would like to see better centralized management, because I use it across multiple clients. To have a console that centrally manages them would be nice."

What other advice do I have?

My most important criterion when selecting a vendor is the usual: pricing. I rate this solution at eight out of 10. I don't think any backup solution is perfect, so I think eight is a fair rating for it. Make sure you are looking for objectives for your backup. There are less expensive solutions out there. You really have to weigh what your backup objectives are in the first place.
Network Administrator at a educational organization
Video Review
It was very easy to set up, the reliability has been wonderful

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Acronis Backup software is to back up our VMware environment. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this an 8. With our VMware environment it's very tricky to get everything backed up just like you need it. With Acronis software it was very easy to set up, the reliability has been wonderful. On a daily basis I know that the incremental backups are running properly. On the weekends the full backups are running efficiently. Any time I've had to contact support, whether it be a phone call or online chat, it's been very easy to get a hold of someone, and they work with you… more »
Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It works with different types of partitions or different OSs

What is our primary use case?

I use it to basically backup my laptop and have several copies of it residing in different places. It performs awesomely. I have been super thrilled with the results. The GUI is easy to follow.

• "​I have everything I need in the backup or in the partition. ​"
  • "It works with different types of partitions or different OSs."
  • "Stability is always good. I have used Acronis for 10 years now, if not more. I have never had a problem with availability, etc."
  • "I would ​change the GUI a little to make it a bit more interactive. It should have a slightly more updated look, not something which looks like it was designed five years ago despite the fact it is easy to follow and very appealing.​"

What other advice do I have?

Try all of the solutions in the market. You will see for yourself that Acronis is the easiest to use and stable. It has never failed on me. I have everything I need in the backup or in the partition. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Good support if I ever need it. Therefore I would know that I have someone to contact, especially when considering this is a backup, thus it is crucial for it work properly.
IT Operation Infrastructure Virtualization Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very fast and reliable backup, which requires less management, but could support more types of storage

What is our primary use case?

I have used it on a virtual server, as a backup server.

• "It is a very fast and reliable backup, which requires less management and restores quickly.​"
  • "The user interface (UI) is easy to use."
  • "It is fast and easy for an image-based backup across all platforms."
  • "​It would be nice if it could support more types of storage: EMC, HPE, Veeam, etc."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise this product for the use of backup systems.
Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Allows me to make server-level backups for DR and virtual server backups for file-level restores

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the backups.

• "If there was a wizard that would lead you down a road, when creating a backup, that would probably be better than having to go online or call somebody to actually do a backup. It's not intuitive..."
    • "I can't select a network location. I have to map a drive on the server, and then I have to select the mapped drive in order for it to put the backup out there."

What other advice do I have?

I would say it's not a steep learning curve, but there's a learning curve, learning how you want it set up, because of the amount of options that you're given. It's good that you have a lot of different options. It's also bad that you have a lot of different options, because it is really easy for you to be able to make a selection that's not going to optimize your backup solution. So, I would say that as long as you know what you need, and you're familiar with the software, then you should not have many problems, with a little bit of learning/reading about the app before you use it. I would…
    Managing Director
    It is cost effective compared to other backups

• "Acronis has many features, which are really very interesting, when it comes to data backup and recovery, especially disaster recovery (DR)."
    • "It would be nice to have it on the cloud platform without using third-party equipment."
    Network Administrator at a educational organization
    We use it for backing up our VMware environment. Can configure a single backup for all the VM servers.

What is our primary use case?

Server backups, including all of our VMWare servers and a few physical Windows Servers.
    Systems Manager
    Configuration of automatic backups and the full image of the hard drive make it reliable

What other advice do I have?

Proceed with it, it's a good application; just check the price. Also, I can explain to my friends the “issues” I have had during the installation so it can be implemented faster and more easily.
    Chemical Process Control Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    ​Management console is able to control all backups from one location, but the cleanup function has never worked

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to implement this product, "Do it."
    RP
    Reseller
    Version 12.5 is much more sophisticated than 11.7, more efficient, and protects from ransomware

• "If you need to recover, it's the best recovery software I've ever used and I've been in this business for over 30 years. Plug a disc in and tell it to recover this machine and it's done. You walk away from it and it's done. Reboot it and it's perfect."
    • "This might be a lack of understanding on my part, but it's difficult to purge old backups."
    RL
    IT Desktop Support
    Universal Restore allows you to reimage a computer without having to have all the drivers

• "I've reimaged servers and been back up and running in exactly no time with the completely new hardware."
    • "It does not delete locked files."

What other advice do I have?

Buy it. Simple. It's the best backup. I've used it to restore a number of machines without any trouble at all. It's very simple with a hard drive. It makes it much easier if you have a complete new system.
    Applications Analyst IV with 51-200 employees
    Enables restore of backup to machine with different hardware

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product. When evaluating different products it is important to test the recovery from backup. Acronis provided better recovery from backup options than some other products that we evaluated.
    Owner
    Very flexible with options to select files to ignore as well as incremental and differential backups

• "I can encrypt the data, I can make it send me an email if it fails. It lets me choose which files I want to ignore during backup."
    • "If I could create a protected image backup on a computer partition that just would be just for the image backup; and only the program could access it to prevent viruses from getting into it. That would be very, very good."
    Owner
    Invaluable for disaster recovery and pretty quick doing a restore

What is most valuable?

Backing up computers remotely and storing them on a network share.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s invaluable for disaster recovery and is pretty quick doing a restore.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I’ve found the agent won’t install, and it doesn’t give you a reason why. You click on the event link, and it goes to the Acronis site, and the site says no information found.

Eight to 10 years (with older versions).

They are very good on chat, which is what I use mostly.

User
    Enables backup of entire computer including operating system, registry, fully or incrementally

What other advice do I have?

Do it!
    Version 12.5 Only ​Has A Web Interface However It Deploys Quickly From USB

What other advice do I have?

Do backups on a regular basis.
    Systems Manager
    We got to back up all the information in real time.

What other advice do I have?

I'd check what the program doing, and I check Acronis do it, and the same point. Nobody referred me to or gave me information about Acronis. I found it on the internet, and I start to read what the Acronis is capable of doing. The way I chose Acronis is easy, because I saw a few demos that showed me how the program works. So, with that showing, or that demo, that's why we chose Acronis. It's really important that people have, for example, those videos or that information visually, because -- If you do not explain visually what the program doing, meaning if people are not familiarized with…
    Coordinator of TV Development with 201-500 employees
    ​Universal restore has made moving systems to dissimilar hardware less difficult.​

What other advice do I have?

For businesses that collect customer data, I would not use a cloud solution. Images that can be synced to an external hard drive that can be stored offsite is the only solution I recommend.
    Sr Associate-Information Consultant at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    we are able to remotely backup machines across the United States from one centralized point

What other advice do I have?

It is very user-friendly and allows us to do on the fly imaging without having to take down an X-amount of facilities or schedule a time for backups; we can do backups on the fly as and when they are in use.
    President
    Provides ease of setting up the backups for different machines. Alerts you if something is going on.

What other advice do I have?

Ease of deployment is something that was important, and that's what this solution did offer. If you're looking for a backup solution, you want to be sure that the deployment is easy to do, i.e., if you're working with hundreds of computers or so. There's always room for improvement, but it's working well. It's easy to use and deploy. It's just in the background, you kind of forget about it until you get messages that the backups were all successful.
    User at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
    If a hard drive fails, we can recover to another hard drive.

• "It makes a full image of the hard drive. If a hard drive fails, all we do is recover to another hard drive."
    • "Some of the default settings out-of-the-box should already be set up for the novice user. For instance, the warnings that say a hard drive has bad sectors and stops the backup from performing."

What other advice do I have?

Watch out for that “Skip bad sectors” setting if you plan on running this software unattended. Don't hesitate to call Acronis support. They will be ready and willing to help you right away. The software warned Windows 7 Embedded was not supported, yet the backup/restore still worked despite the warning I was given. It makes a full image of the hard drive. If a hard drive fails, all we do is recover to another hard drive. We just pop in the hard drive and that's very fast as well. Speed and the ease in which we recover full hard drives are valuable features.
    Owner
    My data is safely stored away from my company in case of any disaster.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on what you're going to use it for. This solution fulfills all of our needs. Its reporting features work flawlessly and it does everything that it's supposed to do once it's setup, without maintenance or any additional time. It just works.
    User
    Backups are easy to restore and I can back them up in multiple locations.

What other advice do I have?

It is very reliable and easy to use.
    Applications Engineer
    Backup and restore are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say test it out. It's so easy to use.
    President/Owner
    It's never failed for me and it's always been there for me. As far as I'm concerned, it's rock solid.

What other advice do I have?

I would give them the green light, and say, “Go with it, it's a rock solid product."
    User at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    We needed a solution for backing up the server OS and servers with RAIDs. Reliability has been really good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. At my company we’ve used it widely. It’s actually in a lot of our best practices documents to use this product, so we've kind of adopted it unofficially.
    User with 51-200 employees
    The most valuable features are backup and recovery.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have anything crazy and specific to say about it. If you go through testing bookmarks for your version, you wouldn't really have to contact support much unless you had something that's extremely detailed. Our setup here, for example, is pretty simple and we try to keep it that way. We have one for each server and it just does everything on its own. Any questions that we have can just be answered by looking on the web. The answers are all right there for you to find in general. Compared to what we had before, we now have ease of use. I can't say enough for that. It’s one of those things…
    User
    The ability to restore on a brand-new, bare bones, different mother board-type of computer. A total different build.

• "I would definitely say the backup and recovery. It used to be a separate module. It was a recovery part and it would literally duplicate the machine to bare bones."
      CEO and Founder
      ​A convenient way to back up Windows servers because it hasn't been convenient in the past.

What other advice do I have?

Rely on the tech support department to help you implement it. They were a great help to me. We've had some problems since we've implemented their system. We've actually had hardware problems with some of our servers. We have never had a backup fail because of the software. And even when we had a hardware problem, once we got it solved, their backup solution immediately kicked back in and started working. I don't have any complaints about it. I just feel, like always, implementation and, sometimes, user interfaces could be a little bit easier, more straightforward. But I haven't used any of…
      Technical Sales Advisor/Deploy Agent at a tech services company
      We use it to backup images and files.

What other advice do I have?

I have a YouTube channel with many videos that can help you.
      Technical Sales Advisor/Deploy Agent at a tech services company
      We use it to backup laptops and workstations. It has a fast recovery process.
      Owner at a tech services company
      The interface is easy to understand and consistent across applications.

• "Consistency and reliability. The interface is easy to understand and consistent across applications. While not 100%, it is a very reliable backup solution."
      • "I needed tech support to straighten out an issue with cloud backup. I have troubleshooting to do with failed backups."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! [Click Here for FREE Trial of Acronis Backup. See Why It Gets 5-Star Reviews.] It makes a full image of the hard drive. If a hard drive fails, all we do is recover to another hard drive. We just pop in the hard drive and that's very fast as well. Speed and the ease in which we recover full hard drives are valuable features.
      Systems Admin at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
      It provided us with a fast and reliable way to recover a complex operating system. It failed several times, when we tried to take an image from the operating system and restore it.

What other advice do I have?

Since the experience was quite an old one, the advice would be outdated as well. :)
      Owner at a tech services company
      I Use Acronis Backup And Disk Director To Manage My Storage Space. They Help Me Back Up My Workstations.

• "i use the backup solution and I use something called Disk Director, which is a related product. Together, they allow me to manage all of my storage space."
      • "I've had some issues with the understandability of the interface. I think if they had someone with expertise in user interfaces to look at this, they could clean up the user interface."

What other advice do I have?

The last job I did, I recommended this solution for a modest-sized building company. Their yearly revenues are about $30 million, so they're not a little remodeling contractor. They're building new homes but they're not a big company with hundreds of people, either. They asked me to come in and help them automate their office. They were not doing backups of anything, so they had their whole accounting system on a 10-year old computer with no backup. When I looked at it I said, "Here is a disaster waiting to happen." I set this all up for them. I do have to go back there and see that it's all…
      Technical Sales Advisor/Deploy Agent at a tech services company
      I ​can make a complete image of an operating system and its applications.

What other advice do I have?

It's not complex but it is necessary that IT or the user has definite idea of what they want from backup system.
      Senior System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
      We have saved massive drive space and shortened data transfer time to offsite due to the 8:1 ratio of the de-duplication and changed block tracking, but MS Exchange and SQL backups are a little slow.
      Network specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It's easy to use for image-based backups, but needs to support more storage systems.

What other advice do I have?

As far as I know , acronis is multiplatform destination support, but as I said, working with Acronis is much easier that Symantec. You may get confused most of the time when using Symantec. I used Acronis for network storage.
      Desktop Support Manager at a government with 51-200 employees
      Almost eliminated our need for tape backup but error messages, logs, and reliability have room for improvement.

What is most valuable?

Backups of servers while they are running.

How has it helped my organization?

Almost eliminated our need for tape backup.

What needs improvement?

Error messages, logs, reliability.

5 years.

Not during initial deployment but, most upgrades go poorly. Pushing the agent did not work. We had to install it manually on each server.

Yes, product has been very unstable since version 10 and all versions since then.

Customer Service: Great. Technical Support: Average to poor.

Which solution did

IT Operations Officer (SCOPE) at United Nations World Food Programme
      Over the Network Backup needs improvement. Works very well with real-time backup of our database files server

What other advice do I have?

Worth trying out. Worked for me. Should have a good system admin to implement the solution more effectively.
      Infrastructure Architect at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Provides backup and storage for our production PC's but the storage nose is stuck frequently and we have to reboot it.

What is most valuable?

Backup and Recovery for our production PCs.

How has it helped my organization?

End user can manage backup and recovery on its own efficiently once a product PC has failed during production.

What needs improvement?

The ability to use computing resources, the storage nose is stuck frequently and we have to reboot it, and I'm told that it needs 128GB memory and SAS disk to keep it stable, all of these elements leave me unsatisfied.

We just started deploying the product company-wide.

Yes, it's for HW requirement described above, because we hadn't been told the requirement by Acronis before we…
      User Support at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It takes long to backup data using Acronis and Acronis doesn't really help much when it becomes complex.

What other advice do I have?

I think you need to look into business requirement especially when implementing the backup system and make sure the backup software that you buy is 100% fully capable and 100% fully supportive.
      Principal ICT Specialist - Infra at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
      GUI for management of backups could be improved but quickly restores backups with minimum fuss.

Valuable Features

Image based backup, restore Windows based images quickly and on different hardware.

Improvements to My Organization

Quickly restore backups with minimum fuss.

Room for Improvement

GUI for management of backups. Using 11.5 more difficult with keeping on tabs with all backup schedules and status of backups, even when using the management console feature of the software.

Use of Solution

16 months.

Yes, combining with Hyper-V host to backup Hyper-V Virtual machines.

Yes performance issues were encountered whilst backups were performed, especially on large file servers.

Due to having previous issues V10 installed, a straightforward upgrade could not be completed. Need to perform an uninstall of…
      Senior Security and Compliance Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
      Nearly set-and-forget for Server Live Imaging

What other advice do I have?

Great product, nearly set-and-forget for Server Live Imaging once fully configured.
      Systems Administrator at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
      The biggest feature is the universal restore.

What is most valuable?

The biggest feature is the universal restore.

How has it helped my organization?

No improvement, just the ability to perform backups.

What needs improvement?

None.

3 years.

I have never run into any issues.

Customer Service: I haven't dealt with them at all. Technical Support: Tech support has been great.

I didn't start using Acronis until I came here 3 years ago - it's what the organization was using already. I found…
      IT Technical Lead with 51-200 employees
      vmProtect is pretty good, hardly ever hits problems, but does not do “what it says on the tin” at all.

What other advice do I have?

Look around for others – choice was limited when we went with Acronis. I think the choice is better now.
      Systems Admin at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
      Good product however it's difficult to use on Linux.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good but using it on Linux is a bit difficult. I would recommend it to any company that wants to implement a low cost solution.
      Sr System Engineer at a outsourcing company with 501-1,000 employees
      A must have cost effective backup and recovery solution for SMEs for quick recovery but not for high end applications.

What other advice do I have?

I bought this software for backup of workgroup based computers and it worked great for them. Scheduling was quite easy and the recovery process was awesome. Due to some power failure our 10 systems crashed which were recovered in few minutes by the Acronis recovery partition. However it lacks advance features like granular backup and data filtering hence unsuitable for enterprise level.
      Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees
      A very good backup & recovery solution with a whole bunch of features

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend using Acronis Backup and Recovery for a small business.
      IT Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
      Overall a very good backup software
      Network Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
      Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 is very stable product but takes time to learn

What other advice do I have?

Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 is packed with drive imaging and file base backup features. It is capable of protecting both physical and virtual servers with its flexible policy based management.
      Head of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      An above average data backup and recovery tool with mediocre UI

What other advice do I have?

One of the best data recovery tools available in the market. However, the installation consumes a lot disk space(1GB+), which results in slower system performance. It also lacks a Virus Scanning facility. Note that systems with Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) are not currently supported. It supports network based data backup and recovery, however network recovery quite often crashes the application.
      Infrastructure Expert at a government with 501-1,000 employees
      Complete backup & recovery solution for your network & desktop

What other advice do I have?

It’s a complete solution for data backup and recovery. It provides offline and online backup facilities. It’s available for your server and desktop as well.
      Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      True Image should be an industry standard

What other advice do I have?

I exclusively use Acronis True Image for my Windows backup needs, both in the enterprise and at home. I haven't found a better solution that allows me to interact with a server and schedule automated backups over the network.