Avolution ABACUS Overview

Avolution ABACUS is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Architecture Management tools. It is most often compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect: Avolution ABACUS vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect

What is Avolution ABACUS?
ABACUS is designed to provide the quickest time-to-value of any enterprise architecture tool. Build and maintain rich visual models from existing company data. ABACUS comes with standard industry frameworks as well as advanced analytic tools and best-in-class roadmapping and reporting functionality.
Avolution ABACUS Buyer's Guide

Download the Avolution ABACUS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Avolution ABACUS Customers
Barclays
Avolution ABACUS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Avolution ABACUS pricing:
  • "To get a fairly extensive license for Enterprise Architects from Spark is approximately US $400.00, maybe less, but with Avolution Abacus it was approximately US $2000.00 per year, and that includes maintenance with the Abacus tool."
  • "The pricing is quite good compared to the competition and it is part of the reason we chose the product."
  • "It is competitive. It is not chump change. I am just using the studio version. I am not using the full enterprise version, which would probably cost me three times more for single-use, but it gives a lot more capability and analysis. It is server-based as well, and it is reasonably priced compared to a lot of the other tools. There are other tools that have other sorts of capabilities, but in order to use them, you'd really have to have like 50 users for the price to become justifiable."
  • "This solution is expensive for some people's budgets and they need to offer a Lite version at a cheaper price"
  • "There is a subscription for this solution. We are on an annual subscription because you sometimes receive special offers the longer you subscribe."

Andrew Wykurz
Enterprise Architect at Enterprise Architecture Perspectives
An out of the box tool that creates reports on the fly that can help your client make better decisions

What is our primary use case?

When a client is looking for information on how to leverage an EA tool or how to look at the analysis that can come from an EA repository using the tool to create reports and dashboards, I can demonstrate that to them. I can demonstrate capabilities of what EA tools should be doing and how they should be doing it. Whether the client has a current tool in place or not, I can compare the information that needs to be gathered when you're documenting your architecture. Then I can tell the client that this is why the information is important to document. It may seem trivial or non-important at the… more »

• "The most valuable feature is that it has a customizable meta-model, which is key."
  • "The reporting could be easier to configure."

What other advice do I have?

Working with enterprise architecture, I set up the practice and evaluate the client's practices to see where they can leverage more consistent procedures and help with their program development. Most of my experience in IT solutions is on the documentation of solutions through EA tools as opposed to getting into the details of the actual solutions and the internal workings of them. From a recent email, Avolution has released a change being made in the latest version and they are explaining what changes need to be done. People who are on servers hosted by Avolution, need to log off by a certain…
JC
BPM Expert at iMendos
Powerful and customizable, but the interface needs to be more user-friendly and it needs dashboards

What is our primary use case?

I worked with this solution to access the code that other people had previously worked on. This included accessing the database to assess the methodology that people had used for development. In doing so, we had to evaluate some technical aspects of this solution. We worked with an on-premises deployment.

• "If you face new challenges or issues then you can dynamically customize according to the business needs."
  • "If they want to expand in the European market then they are going to have to improve their technical support."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to consider both the technical support and stability, as well as the technical aspects of the product. Based on my experience, this is not a product that I recommend at the moment. When the vender launches a new version they should guarantee the core things are really working so that they do not have problems like this. They need to focus on what is critical and important in order to last in the market. The integration with other tools should be more open and clear, as it seems to be quite closed and proprietary. The market does not like…
Learn what your peers think about Avolution ABACUS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AF
Lead Enterprise Domain Architects at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Low cost and high capabilities make this tool a key to successful architecture planning

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for handling the enterprise architecture planning in the company. We are in banking debt processing. We are currently using it for handling the application domain architecture.

• "The technical support is very good. They are responsive and the answers they provide are detailed."
  • "The product is easy to use and well-structured for the integrations we need it to make."
  • "The company needs to update the UML version they are using for the product as it is quite old."
  • "They should take more initiative to implement things that competing products have already come out with."

What other advice do I have?

I really recommend this product to people who are considering it. For what it does it is very good and a reasonable price. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Avolution ABACUS as an eight-out-of-ten.
Andrew Wykurz
Enterprise Architect at Enterprise Architecture Perspectives
Provides a lot of flexibility, ease of modeling, and ease of showing interconnectivity and relationships

What is our primary use case?

I use the studio version, which is more of a desktop version as opposed to the enterprise version, which provides more of the analytics and intelligence capability.

• "The ease of modeling and the ease of showing interconnectivity and relationships is the most valuable. It is fairly simple and out of the box. It is customizable in many ways. It is a pretty good tool."
  • "It doesn't have the simulation capability, which would be helpful in doing some business process analysis and improvements."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool. It provides a lot of flexibility in meeting a client stage. It is an excellent early development tool. If you have an immature EA practice and you're looking for a tool to help you understand what is it that you really want to develop, it is a great tool for helping you in doing that. You can then carry on further, or you could switch to another tool if you really want to. Among the features that are coming out there, one of the key ones is automatic updates, where models can automatically update catalogs, like when you draw an object into a model, it'll put it into a…
AE
Senior R&D Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use with good object traceability, but needs better integration options

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for our customers, but it's confidential so I cannot release that information. The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature is the traceability, you can trace any object to the other."
  • "While this is one of the most powerful tools on the market it does not integrate well with Microsoft Office or others."

What other advice do I have?

I am not an implementer or a service provider, I offer consultation and provide solutions in enterprise markets. Part of my job is to recommend and select the tools that are suitable for my clients and stay within their budget. There are times where the open-source tool is the most suitable, whereas at other times I can offer a more complex solution. I would recommend this solution because it has some powerful aspects, but it won't fit everyone's budget. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Awie Pieter
Enterprise Architect at A1L Realizations
Good solution for enterprise architecture that has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem model. Our primary use is for enterprise architecture.

• "It is vastly scalable but you can't run it on a Mac or Linux so it has limitations."
    • "The most valuable features are the catalog and the diagram."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it but it depends on the use case. If you want a data model of flexibility and catalog scalability I would recommend it from that perspective. For an architecture practice, there's more detailed architecture than enterprise architecture so for that, I wouldn't recommend Abacus. It's just for different use cases that Abacus is good to have. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
    Suresh_Thota
    Enterprise Digital Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    User friendly dashboard, plenty of features, more enhancement needed

• "There are plenty of features available such as the ability to test applications for issues and a user-friendly dashboard."
    • "In the future, there could be improvements in integration and enhancements."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is the leader in enterprise architecture, I would recommend it to others. I rate Avolution ABACUS a six out of ten.