Azure Security Center Overview

Azure Security Center is the #7 ranked solution in our list of Cloud Workload Security Solutions. It is most often compared to Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks: Azure Security Center vs Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks

What is Azure Security Center?

Security posture management for your cloud workloads
Quickly assess your security posture with Secure Score. This feature provides recommendations with numeric values to help you prioritize your responses.

Ensure you’re following best practices and fix common misconfigurations for Azure infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS) resources that may include:

-Failure to deploy system updates on virtual machines (VMs).
-Unnecessary exposure to the Internet through public-facing endpoints.
-Unencrypted data in transit or storage.

When you address these, easily deploy Microsoft and partner solutions directly from the Azure portal.

Customize your security policy to focus on what you need to—for example, check for web application firewalls or storage encryption—and apply your policy to multiple Azure subscriptions. Gain visibility across your environment to verify compliance with regulatory requirements, such as CIS, PCI DSS, SOC, and ISO.

Azure Security Center is also known as Microsoft Azure Security Center, Microsoft ASC.

Azure Security Center Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Security Center Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Azure Security Center Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Security Center pricing:
  • "I'm not privy to that information, but I know it's probably close to a million dollars a year."
  • "We are using the free version of the Azure Security Center."

Azure Security Center Reviews

reviewer1388622
System Administrator at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Aug 6, 2020
Very good dashboard and quite stable but needs more granularity

• "The dashboard is very good. It gives our clients a lot of information and allows them to have a complete overview of the system. Everything is visible in one glance."
  • "The solution is quite complex. A lot of the different policies that actually get applied don't pertain to every client. If you need to have something open for a client application to work, then you get dinged for having a port open or having an older version of TLS available."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner. The solution works for us, however, a client has its own needs and requirements. It's not a one-size-fits-all solution. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
mmk.mur
Cloud Security Design Lead at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 15, 2020
Provides an excellent overview of the company security setup which benefits the various teams

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case of this solution has changed depending on the company I've been working in. In my previous job they were using it as a CWPP, cloud workload protection. In my current job it's used for the same purpose but we also use it for monitoring security policies, to enforce new policies and audit them. We also use it to meet some of the compliance requirements as well. We're partners with Azure and I'm the cloud security design lead.

• "Provides a very good view of the entire security setup of your organization."
  • "No possibility to write or edit any capability."

What other advice do I have?

If you're in the world of cloud and your company is using Azure as their primary cloud, I think Azure Security Center is a must-have feature, because it provides a bird's eye view of the entire security position of the organization. The solution is integrated and there is service from Microsoft. New features are being added regularly and I think it's a great solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Azure Security Center. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1380318
Sr Cybersecurity Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 14, 2020
Reliable and easy to scale, with good remote workforce capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are using Azure Security Center for software development. It's a cloud service that includes the security center and tailoring certain options.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the remote workforce capabilities and the general experience of the remote workforce."
  • "Pricing could be improved. There are limited options based on pricing for the government."

What other advice do I have?

I am currently working on my Cloud Security Certification. For anyone who is considering this solution, from a cybersecurity standpoint, if they are doing any kind of scanning, vulnerability scanning for software or systems and they're feeding into the cloud, make sure to check whether the security center doesn't offer adequate options for them to work with. If not, then look into other software like Spunk. They look into everything and they have plenty of conversations with the staff. That's the cloud security provider. I would rate Azure Security Center an eight out of ten.
Dwayne Samson
Senior Analyst Security and Compliance at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jun 18, 2020
Very intuitive and is the best of breed

• "The most valuable feature is that it's intuitive. It's very intuitive."
  • "When you work with it, the only problem that we're struggling with is that we have 21 different subscriptions we're trying to apply security to. It's impossible to keep everything organized."

What other advice do I have?

I would say the biggest advice I'd give to anyone is to make sure that your hierarchy for your subscriptions is done correctly, single management. You can't have 10 different groups managing it. It's got to have a single structure of management and then the hierarchy needs to be set up correctly. I would give it an eight out of ten. I think it's one of the best in breeds. I'm comparing it to AWS and some of the smaller ones out there, but I find it very intuitive. That's one thing I do like about their products, they're very intuitive. Not a perfect ten because we're not using it to its full…
reviewer1404387
Cloud Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 22, 2020
Reliable threat protection that is easy to setup with good technical support, but it needs to be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to implement our CAS policy and it monitors compliance with the Security Center. Also, we use it for thereat protection. It detects any threats and provides threat recommendations.

• "The technical support is very good."
  • "It needs to be simplified and made more user-friendly for a non-technical person."

What other advice do I have?

I plan to continue using this solution and I recommend it to others. I would rate Azure Security Center a seven out of ten.
reviewer1419840
Cyber & Cloud Security Leader at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 16, 2020
Good integration, scalability, and support

What is most valuable?

It takes very little effort to integrate it. It also gives very good visibility into what exactly is happening.

What needs improvement?

From a compliance standpoint, they can include some more metrics and some specific compliances such as GDPR.

I have been using Azure Security Center for one and a half years.

We have seen a few big downtimes in Azure where Office 365 was disconnected. I do see challenges in terms of stability, not just for Azure Security Center but also for Azure.

Microsoft being a big provider, Azure Security Center is quite scalable.

reviewer1447599
Senior Security Architect at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 17, 2020
Provides very good compliance policies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to monitor infrastructure. I'm a senior security architect and we are customers of Azure Security Center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me are the compliance policies.

What needs improvement?

I think that the documentation and implementation guides could be improved. It would make the implementation process easier.

I've been using this solution for a couple of years.

This solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, we have a couple of hundred people using it.

The technical…
Thushara Bandara
Software Engineer at ISM APAC
Oct 30, 2020
It helps to understand the infections and issues you are facing

We have been using Azure Security Center for one year.

I don't know what the issue is but when we do the agent deployment, sometimes it works, and sometimes it fails and we need to go inside the virtual machine and manually install the agent. That's been a bug that we've experienced.

There are 5000 users. I do the maintenance. We have 35 engineers who use it.

Their support is good.

The initial setup is not actually so complex but it feels complex because there are many add-ons. There are many options and my team needs to be aware of all of these…
Product Categories
Cloud Workload Security
Download our free Azure Security Center Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.