Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Overview

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers

What is Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers?

PowerEdge R is available in three models and with the following advantages: Entry level is simple, entry level server ideal for businesses just migrating to server usage, advanced is offering more cache and speed, these servers offer more options for processors, expansion and virtualization, Premium create a dynamic infrastructure with flexible workloads from a complete virtualization platform.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is also known as PowerEdge R.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Customers

NxtGen Datacenter, Medien-Service Untermain (MSU), Exasol, IndigoVision, Dayco

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers pricing:
  • "It's not a very expensive solution."

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews

Imad Awwad
Group IT Manager For ME Region at Malia Group
Nov 26, 2020
Innovative designs to transform IT and maximize performance across the widest range of applications.

What is our primary use case?

Virtual Environment and performance enhancements for SQL applications and for future VDI implementations.

• "The availability is excellent."
  • "The solution could still use some more analytics."

What other advice do I have?

There are certain components on other solutions that I need to check with Dell. Dell was very good before and always is in the performance, availability and support. That said, our region in Lebanon, had some problems with the distributors and the people who are licensed to sell Dell products. It's been about five years now, and it's now official that everybody can partner again with Dell. You don't have to be an experienced partner, per se. Before, it was being controlled by one partner. Nobody is able to bring in Dell, and this partner had control for all the prices of all the support and…
reviewer1332702
Field Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 5, 2020
Very scalable, delivers on promises, and offers good terms

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for the servers. It's a node among many in a multiprocessor, supercomputer environment. It's a very verified application. The customer uses a lesser file system, which means that one file system is shared among the entire installation. You're not going to see that very often in your career unless you're in that business. It's a multi-node, high-performance computing file system. It's Linux based.

• "The solution delivers what it promises. You look at the specs and it delivers them."
  • "Until they get new technology and density, it would be nice to see four nodes in a one-year package instead of a three-year package."

What other advice do I have?

My company partners with Dell. I'm recently retired, however, I did most of the infrastructure, backup storage, and high-performance computing. I was in pre-sales. I was a solution architect. Therefore, I'm not an end-user. We only used Dell for the servers. We used Seagate for storage. They have hard drives. They've been in the hard drive business for 40 years. My biggest piece of advice for those considering the solution is to make sure they are delivered on time. When clients are spending $50 million for an installation and you say it's going to be ready September 15th, it better be ready…
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sandeep Gandhi
CEO at Verixo Technologies Pvt. Ltd
Apr 16, 2019
Enables us to virtualize applications and user desktops

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC R730 Rack Server. We use it for virtualization and we have some servers and some desktop virtual machines running on it. We mostly use it for testing purposes. We also use the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Server to do QA testing for those applications. We create temporary virtual machines for this. Virtualization is one of our main use cases. Hosting web applications is another. We also use the Dell server for standard architecture like Microsoft Excel and Office applications,

• "It is quite stable. We didn't have a single downtime of failure. Nor have we ever experienced any downtime in electrical components or the hardware. In this way, the server is reliable."
  • "I would like to see better IOPS, i.e. the disc speed. That is the main limitation for scaling up the number of users."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers an eight out of ten. It was satisfactory, but we were not able to scale it to the level that we expected. Maybe we should have contacted their support or put in greater effort to find out about sizing guidelines, or maybe there is a limitation regarding the kind of scale that we are looking for. I would advise someone considering this solution to search for the use case that is the closest match to your business. We should have referred to that before making a purchase.
RamaswamyK
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Oct 25, 2020
Easy to setup, reliable, scalable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

All of my server's requirements are currently using the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers.

• "This solution has absolutely fulfilled our needs well."
  • "There are certain aspects, features, and functionality on the motherboard that need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This solution has absolutely fulfilled our needs well. We are still running, this solution, we are upgrading only because of the features and abilities that it doesn't have. It's run now for 14 to 15 years. It's a brilliant product. I would recommend this solution to others looking into using this solution. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1053426
Vice President Product Management & Strategy at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Nov 25, 2020
Good management tools, good quality, rock-solid, and dynamite support

What is our primary use case?

We are a Dell partner, and we're kind of like a hybrid type of partner that sells new products and also maintains a large stock of inventory. We build servers, storage, and solutions for clients and data centers. In terms of a specific use case, we build a lot of VMware vSAN in this solution.

• "Their management tools are the most valuable. Our customers like the flexibility of being able to scale up and out. It is very easy for them to scale and add additional nodes and servers to their storage solutions, such as the ATI solution. It has very good quality and a great deployment model. Its warranty is also very good, and it is very stable. Their fixes have been quick if they have those."
  • "After purchasing the product, customers have not been getting the support that they need in the early stages of getting set up. They can provide customers a little bit more education as to what they get with certain warranty levels. The data is there if the customers dig, but a lot of times, the customers don't dig. Some of the other server models come out a little bit quicker than Dell. It would be good if Dell is quicker to market on new, larger drives when they become available. Sometimes, we do get hit on that against a couple of competitors. Dell vets them a little bit longer than like the super micros to keep their stability and quality level up, but they lose a little bit of ground to a super micro. It would be good if they can release features and models as soon and as fast as they can. It would help them to stay more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to just do your homework and make sure that you get the warranty and support levels that you're going to need. Understand what you will get and whether you need software support along with it. We do a cost analysis for our clients based upon the total cost of ownership. We do that for every deal. That's a very smart process to follow for any tech solution because some people think that if they just put a solution, it will solve all of their problems, which is not necessarily the case. I would rate PowerEdge Rack Servers a ten out of ten. We love these servers. These are quality…
Frisal Argha Kusumah
Automation Service Engineer (DCS) at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 18, 2020
Stable with an easy implementation process and very user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its performance.

• "It's a very user-friendly solution."
  • "The performance could be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner as a buyer of the solution. We're using the latest version of the solution. Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We've never had any issues with Dell servers. They're good. They're very stable. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
Daniel Lopes
Technical Sales Engineer at Carbon
Feb 12, 2019
Reliable, easy to manage, and has a great management interface

What is our primary use case?

We use the server as a database server. We use it to import Microsoft SQL 2014 and some IIS application servers.

• "I like the Dell EMC management and we have a great management interface. They are very reliable and we can trust the server. It's very reliable and easy to manage."
  • "They should improve the centralized management interface. When you are going to deploy something, for example, VMware or RedHat, it should be easier to deploy a lot of servers. Now you have to do one at a time."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten because the product is quite reliable, quite good. We haven't had many problems with. I did not give a ten because of the website. The information isn't so well organized on the website. They have different types of licensing of management so make sure to check their licensing because they can differentiate.
Anil Kale
Sr. Technology Consultant at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 24, 2020
Easy to implement with fair pricing and a good user interface

• "The pricing of the solution is fair."
  • "It would be nice if the rack servers had an HCI solution as an option."

What other advice do I have?

We are a service provider and a reseller. We use various versions of the solution. The deployment models also vary as it depends on customer requirements. We deal with a lot of hyper-converged solutions. I'd recommend the solution. We've had no issues with it at all. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
See 5 more Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews