Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to HPE ProLiant DL Servers: Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers vs HPE ProLiant DL Servers

What is Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers?

PowerEdge R is available in three models and with the following advantages: Entry level is simple, entry level server ideal for businesses just migrating to server usage, advanced is offering more cache and speed, these servers offer more options for processors, expansion and virtualization, Premium create a dynamic infrastructure with flexible workloads from a complete virtualization platform.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is also known as PowerEdge R.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Customers

NxtGen Datacenter, Medien-Service Untermain (MSU), Exasol, IndigoVision, Dayco

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers pricing:
  • "It's not a very expensive solution."
  • "The licensing comes with a warranty."

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Reviews

Imad Awwad
IT Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Innovative designs to transform IT and maximize performance across the widest range of applications.

• "The availability is excellent."
  • "The solution could still use some more analytics."

What is our primary use case?

Virtual Environment and performance enhancements for SQL applications and for future VDI implementations.

How has it helped my organization?

Performance has been observed once servers have been operational and power consumption has been reduced as well due to the new technology.

What is most valuable?

The solution has always had very good performance.

The availability/scalability is excellent.

Their technical support is always helpful. They have a very good support timeline that lasts not just a year or two, but even five years down the line. It's a long-term arrangement.

The solution is highly scalable, with a two-socket server, CPU support, and the M.E.N SST.

It can support VDI.

You can combine these servers. Therefore, not only do they work with virtual environments, you can have them as a Data Analytics server. They can handle a lot of heavy processes. They are one of the main big servers that can handle a lot of things. For example, I'm replacing four servers with three servers, which means I can also reduce the licenses. Instead of buying two licenses, you're buying one license. The lines are reduced to half, and you have a few open managed application that will tell you the health of the server.

The content and insights with Dell are great. Whenever something happens to your server and you have the support, they will give you a notification. Whether it's CPU or RAM or the power supply, whatever the issue, they will tell you. You always have a proactive notification on all the servers.

Security and BIOS are very good. Previously, BIOS was just a plus for the team to have on the server. Now, BIOS is more into Cyber Security and has the intelligence to recognize what is being loaded before going to the main OS. There's artificial intelligence integrated into these servers and the insights are one of the main reasons that they'll provide you with a good service, and offer you some visibility on the server. You feel safe. The server won't let you down. With the notifications, you can always handle things before they become a bigger problem.

What needs improvement?

The company needs to invest in more marketing exposure. Users need to know that Dell servers compete with HP Servers. in the region, the Middle East, many more companies work with HP. They could change this.

The solution could still use some more analytics.

It would be helpful if we had the power of an open managed application. It should be more hands-on in terms of how are you going to manage your server. In order to do that, you need more visibility into the health of the server itself.

I've been dealing with this solution for around a year. I used to have HP servers, as well, however, now I'm working with Dell again.

The solution is extremely scalable, and it's easy to do so as it has a two-socket server and CPU support, etc. It offers quite high performance for easy scaling down the road.

You don't just buy a server for one service. You buy a server to take advantage of several services in your environment, and so, it helps that it can scale.

I've personally never worked with technical support directly, however, it is my understanding that technical support is excellent. They offer long timelines, so you don't just have technical support for, for example, the first year or two. They continue to work with you even years down the line. They're very fast and responsive and their head in Lebanon is very good.

Support is one of the main reasons we considered as well, as we know that if we have any critical issues, we won't have problems getting the answers we need. We get the answers we require either the same day or 24 hours. It's great.

We did use a different solution, HP, and now we are returning to Dell. Part of what played a major factor is the support for AMD CPU's. Since Dell EMC supports the AMD, there also were internal considerations as well to take them on.

HP is one of the main competitors in the Middle East. They compete head-to-head with Dell EMC also, and HP servers have some things that are better than Dell EMC. Dell has older technology. They're catching up, however, with artificial intelligence, analytics, and reporting, they're catching up.

They are pretty close in style and substance. Therefore, whichever gives me a better price will be the one I choose.

The initial setup was very, very easy.

There's nothing to work with on the server itself.

You just handle the configuration, and you do some EFI configuration. In the last stage, you're going to install the operating system so that it is a fast service. It depends on the disks you put in. At the server level, so it doesn't have that much configuration. It's just installing Windows and any operating system. Then you build over that.

Except for the Bios updates and the drivers and the compatibility issues, you don't have any problem with compatibility.

What other advice do I have?

There are certain components on other solutions that I need to check with Dell. Dell was very good before and always is in the performance, availability and support. That said, our region in Lebanon, had some problems with the distributors and the people who are licensed to sell Dell products. It's been about five years now, and it's now official that everybody can partner again with Dell. You don't have to be an experienced partner, per se.

Before, it was being controlled by one partner. Nobody is able to bring in Dell, and this partner had control for all the prices of all the support and everything. However, after merging with EMC and after having so many partners, its become more exposed to the market. Many partners that were struggling to sell Dell EMC servers and storage, as well as laptops and everything, are able to do so.

This is the main reason why we have returned to Dell. We know about them. They offer very good servers and they are one of the leaders in the market. Dell and HP are leaders now in the servers. For this season, we reconsidered having their Rack Servers. This is the only reason we're going now to Dell servers.

With Dell, if a company is considering their work environments and they're considering Data Analytics and Big Data, etc., yes, why not to go for the Dell server. They have an extremely scalable infrastructure designed for Big Data and they have the processes and ERP system that needs a lot of power. The Rack Servers, the PowerUp servers, are very good. They are recommended by many people worldwide.

I'd recommend organizations consider these servers. Dell also has a full portfolio of products that work together in harmony. Whatever you need, Dell likely has a solution for you.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
YS
Field Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Very scalable, delivers on promises, and offers good terms

• "The solution delivers what it promises. You look at the specs and it delivers them."
  • "Until they get new technology and density, it would be nice to see four nodes in a one-year package instead of a three-year package."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for the servers. It's a node among many in a multiprocessor, supercomputer environment. It's a very verified application. The customer uses a lesser file system, which means that one file system is shared among the entire installation. You're not going to see that very often in your career unless you're in that business. It's a multi-node, high-performance computing file system. It's Linux based.

What is most valuable?

It fit the requirements of the client, that's really all that it was for us. It could deliver the IOPS and the local storage that was required. It could have been anybody else, Lenovo, IBM, HP, etc. We were Dell's number one reseller in Canada and probably worldwide. We got very favorable terms and that also helped with the decision.

What needs improvement?

The only way you could improve it is, for the purpose of HPC installations, is IOPS and the only way to improve it is to get a more powerful machine to deliver more IOPS. Basically, you need more CPUs and you need more RAM and you need a faster backbone. We were running on 100 gigabits Infiniband.

I'm recently retired, however, I did work with the solution on one of my last projects which lasted a few months.

The solution delivers what it promises. You look at the specs and it delivers them. If it doesn't deliver you move onto another model.

There's really nothing special about it, and Dell doesn't make servers that are any better than anybody else's. The prime reason we chose it is that it delivers what it promises to deliver in terms of IOPS and the price right for us because when you're a platinum level reseller for a server company, they will give you very favorable terms especially in this time of a pandemic, hardware sales are down across the board for the entire industry.

It's very scalable. That's the whole idea. When you want to add more computation power to the platform you just throw in another act of compute nodes and storage.

I've never used technical support. Out-of-the-box it works, and if it doesn't, then the client deals with it directly. The equipment is sold to them so they own the serial numbers and they own the service contracts, so if anything went wrong during the installation the client would take care of them, not us.

We've worked with HP, Cisco, Lenovo, and IBM in the past. We always choose the solution that makes the most sense for our clients.

We handed over the complete installation in September. We started in August. It takes time. You're coming into an empty room. You have to have power, you need the AC for the equipment there that has to be moved out. It takes time. The racks were pre-populated in Toronto and shipped to Montreal, and then in Montreal, they were set up and powered. We had liquid cooling and radiators on the rear of the cabinet for the heat.

We've done many of these installations, and it's pretty routine. There's nothing complex about it. The complexity is mostly that there are so many key parts in terms of getting it delivered on-site. There are so many parts from so many different vendors and there are penalties if you don't deliver on time. Nobody wants to pay penalties.

I didn't deal with the pricing, and therefore don't know the exact costs.

However, they would compete with pricing on the market. Even if HP made an equivalent platform, and they do, we wouldn't get good terms. They're all pretty well in the ballpark range in cost and the variation. The list price might be 10%. They know what the competition is doing so they don't want to price themselves, the values, off the list of potential. If I'm looking at servers that deliver so much IOPS and they price themselves out, HP knows what Dell is doing and Dell knows what HP is doing.

What other advice do I have?

My company partners with Dell.

I'm recently retired, however, I did most of the infrastructure, backup storage, and high-performance computing. I was in pre-sales. I was a solution architect. Therefore, I'm not an end-user.

We only used Dell for the servers. We used Seagate for storage. They have hard drives. They've been in the hard drive business for 40 years.

My biggest piece of advice for those considering the solution is to make sure they are delivered on time. When clients are spending $50 million for an installation and you say it's going to be ready September 15th, it better be ready September 15th. One of the main reasons stuff's not ready is because parts are missing. That means you can't deliver a complete solution. If you're missing a box of spare hard drives, they're just spares, they're not preventing the installation, however, they're missing, and therefore you haven't delivered the product.

Overall, I'd rate the product ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and maintain with a straightforward setup

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The solution needs to offer better service feedback, their response rate is slow when we have questions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for computing.

What is most valuable?

The solution has proven to be very stable over the years. It's quite reliable in terms of performance.

The product has always been very easy to use.

The maintenance of the product is easy to do. It doesn't need too much.

The local service on offer from Dell is quite good. They are very helpful.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer better service feedback, their response rate is slow when we have questions. They need to be faster and get back to us much quicker to help us when we require assistance.

I've been using the solution for ten years or so. It's been a while.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance has been very good.

We have 15 to 20 customers that use Dell.

We do plan to continue to use Dell and offer it to clients going forward.

The technical support isn't the best. They are slow to respond. It's a problem for us. We feel they could be a lot better at getting back to their customers when they have queries. We're not completely satisfied with the level of support provided.

It used to be better. We've really noticed a drop-off in service this year.

It is possible that Dell put their support service to a third-party company. I don't know. I assume this due to the fact that his year, we found that Dell's technical support team is not as professional as before. Perhaps they are trying to lower costs. If that's the case, they need to provide more training to the people who are handling support now.

As we work with other customers, sometimes they don't want to use Dell or already use something else.

We recommend Dell however, we also might choose or work with HPE, Lenovo, or even IBM.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not overly complex at all.

The deployment is also very quick and easy. It takes maybe 10 minutes to just install one rack mount server. Our engineers can actually take less than 10 minutes to install one server. We have eight engineers that handle deployment and maintenance.

We are implementors and therefore we can help clients with the installation process. We have engineers on hand to assist.

What other advice do I have?

We're both users of the product, as well as integrators.

We've used many versions of the solution over the ten years we've used Dell. We may be on version 13 or 14 at this tie. I can't recall the exact version number.

We've been quite happy with the solution overall. From our point of view, Dell is the best choice for servers, even though we have worked with other brands and products. I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten.

RamaswamyK
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Easy to setup, reliable, scalable, and has good support

• "This solution has absolutely fulfilled our needs well."
  • "There are certain aspects, features, and functionality on the motherboard that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

All of my server's requirements are currently using the Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers.

What needs improvement?

There are certain aspects, features, and functionality on the motherboard that need improvement.

If they had some software components that would have helped because I don't like creating electronic waste. We don't like upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

With that process, we tend to lose the newer features which would have come in during that time.

If they could have done something during that time where the new features could have been included, or improved upon the existing ones then it would have been brilliant.

In the next release, I would like to see some means by which they could improve the functionality on the motherboard. It would be a very large help and increase the life of these products.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers for 14 to 15 years.

We are using the latest version purchased from HP.

It's a very stable solution.

We have many servers still running with this solution because our new one has not yet been commissioned.

We have the exchange server, ERP that is running on it, file sense servers, and the security server is running.

We plan to continue using this solution in the future.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers is scalable.

We have 160 users in our organization.

Technical support has been brilliant.

They have supported us for several years, but it's now out of support because we are currently implementing a hardware refresh.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The deployment time varies depending on the application being deployed. For example, the exchange took me a couple of days to get it up and running, and on a straightforward file sense server, it was less than three hours to get it up and running.

The security server also took a couple of hours to get it up and running.

We have four members to deploy and maintain this solution. They are made up of engineers, managers, and admins.

It's not a very expensive solution.

We were in a scenario of having every application running on physical servers.

We are now moving to an in-house virtual environment. We are using VMware so that one server can do a multitude of jobs at the same time. Hence the hardware refresh.

We are moving towards virtual experiences, using VMware.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has absolutely fulfilled our needs well.

We are still running, this solution, we are upgrading only because of the features and abilities that it doesn't have. It's run now for 14 to 15 years.

It's a brilliant product.

I would recommend this solution to others looking into using this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Md. Shohel Rawshan Sarker
Manager at Mutural Trust Bank
Enables us to do remote troubleshooting

• "The initial setup is so easy."
  • "As the disks and memory should be expandable, I would highlight scalability as an issue."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to help me with battery and memory DIMM errors.

What is most valuable?

The remote management control is a valuable feature. There is no need to connect the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. We can install our operating system and whatever else we wish. Thanks to the enterprise license which enables remote connectivity there is no need to connect. This allows us to make use as we see fit, such as that involving the operating system installation and, occasionally, the host machine, in which case we can connect to the console remotely. This allows us to do remote troubleshooting, which is a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to battery and memory DIMM errors, it seems there is a bug. Also, the number of disks should be expandable. Many medium and large companies are using cloud-based rack servers. There should be a greater amount of CPU, memory, and hard disks. As the disks and memory should be expandable, I would highlight scalability as an issue.

I am currently using Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers and have been doing so over the course of the past 12 months.

I feel Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers to be reliable solutions for rack only because this rack solutions is not applicable to other cases. It is reliable, based on the rack solution.

When it comes to the rack server, the number of disks lack scalability.

Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers' remote support is quite good. Many a times I have opened a case and received from them a prompt response and solution.

The initial setup is so easy. One just need establish a remote connection with the network console, allowing the applications database to be installed as desired.

The licensing comes with a warranty.

If I wish to use the remote console, I can access it so that I may obtain the enterprise license on the server. Once two or three years have elapsed, or subsequent to getting the warranty, there is no need to get the license.

The cost goes up when taking into account the enterprise-level license.

I evaluated Blade in addition to the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The reason we use on-premises and not cloud is because we are talking about a bank. The financial data is not published outside.

Before I could recommend implementing the solution, I wish to describe a scenario. As mentioned, in terms of the rack server I can speak positively. However, were I to compare Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers to other solutions, such as Blade, it wouldn't be helpful for this rack server only, as we are merely talking about CPU, RAM and some disks.

Owing to the scalability issue, I rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers as a nine out of ten.

TP
Vice President Product Management & Strategy at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good management tools, good quality, rock-solid, and dynamite support

• "Their management tools are the most valuable. Our customers like the flexibility of being able to scale up and out. It is very easy for them to scale and add additional nodes and servers to their storage solutions, such as the ATI solution. It has very good quality and a great deployment model. Its warranty is also very good, and it is very stable. Their fixes have been quick if they have those."
  • "After purchasing the product, customers have not been getting the support that they need in the early stages of getting set up. They can provide customers a little bit more education as to what they get with certain warranty levels. The data is there if the customers dig, but a lot of times, the customers don't dig. Some of the other server models come out a little bit quicker than Dell. It would be good if Dell is quicker to market on new, larger drives when they become available. Sometimes, we do get hit on that against a couple of competitors. Dell vets them a little bit longer than like the super micros to keep their stability and quality level up, but they lose a little bit of ground to a super micro. It would be good if they can release features and models as soon and as fast as they can. It would help them to stay more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Dell partner, and we're kind of like a hybrid type of partner that sells new products and also maintains a large stock of inventory. We build servers, storage, and solutions for clients and data centers. In terms of a specific use case, we build a lot of VMware vSAN in this solution.

What is most valuable?

Their management tools are the most valuable. Our customers like the flexibility of being able to scale up and out. It is very easy for them to scale and add additional nodes and servers to their storage solutions, such as the ATI solution.

It has very good quality and a great deployment model. Its warranty is also very good, and it is very stable. Their fixes have been quick if they have those.

What needs improvement?

After purchasing the product, customers have not been getting the support that they need in the early stages of getting set up. They can provide customers a little bit more education as to what they get with certain warranty levels. The data is there if the customers dig, but a lot of times, the customers don't dig.

Some of the other server models come out a little bit quicker than Dell. It would be good if Dell is quicker to market on new, larger drives when they become available. Sometimes, we do get hit on that against a couple of competitors. Dell vets them a little bit longer than like the super micros to keep their stability and quality level up, but they lose a little bit of ground to a super micro. It would be good if they can release features and models as soon and as fast as they can. It would help them to stay more competitive.

We've been selling these servers for 19 years.

These units are very robust. They're rock solid.

There is absolutely no problem with scalability. These machines are built to be able to scale up.

They've been dynamite. I would rate them a ten out of ten.

It has a great deployment model.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to just do your homework and make sure that you get the warranty and support levels that you're going to need. Understand what you will get and whether you need software support along with it.

We do a cost analysis for our clients based upon the total cost of ownership. We do that for every deal. That's a very smart process to follow for any tech solution because some people think that if they just put a solution, it will solve all of their problems, which is not necessarily the case.

I would rate PowerEdge Rack Servers a ten out of ten. We love these servers. These are quality products, and I would personally purchase them for my own business.

SR
Pre-sale and Post-sale Engineer at a reseller with 201-500 employees
Great performance, fair pricing, and can scale well

• "Their support is very good and very effective."
  • "The shipment times could be improved. Sometimes we have to wait four or five days before we get the actual servers. It could even be longer. Sometimes it is many days."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a variety of use cases. These include holding technologies such as VMware, databases, web application servers, and copies, in some cases.

How has it helped my organization?

The Dell EMC PowerEdge offers best performance per price

What is most valuable?

Their support is very good and very effective.

The price of the system is very fair.

The design of the hardware is very good - especially the management system.

Overall, PowerEdge is a very good system.

The performance has been excellent so far.

The initial setup is very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The shipment or delivery times could be improved. Sometimes we have to wait six Weeks before we get the server. It could even be longer. Sometimes it is many days for my customers

I've been using the solution for six years or so. It's been a while at this point. I've definitely worked with the solution over the last 12 months as well.

The solution is stable. the performance is good and very reliable. We haven't had any issues so far.

The scalability is good. The system has many options for scalability. If a company needs to expand, it can do so with relative ease.

In our case, our clients are mostly small to medium in size.

Technical support has been very helpful and responsive. They are knowledgeable. We're quite satisfied with their level of support. They are a good service and very supportive.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. We found it to be easy. It's straightforward. A company should have no trouble whatsoever.

The deployment only took a few short hours. It's pretty quick.

I cannot recall the amount of staff it requires for deployment and maintenance. It's my understanding that only one engineer is required.

We are an integrator. We can implement the solution for our clients as required. In a year, we may implement four or five projects.

The solution offers very good, very fair pricing. It's reasonable. It's not overly expensive.

I do not have any knowledge of our clients evaluating other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

We are Dell partners. We work with various versions of the solution. These include the 14 Generation, 13 Generation, and 11 Generation. We aren't currently in the process of buying a new server.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it at a perfect ten out of ten. It's been very good for us. We haven't had issues.

Frisal Argha Kusumah
Automation Service Engineer (DCS) at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with an easy implementation process and very user-friendly

• "It's a very user-friendly solution."
  • "The performance could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its performance.

What is most valuable?

Dell offers very good performance. The hardware is very, very good.

The product has very good diagnostics.

It's a very user-friendly solution.

At the rack level, we can access and can see the status. When deploying you can see if there are any issues with the system.

In terms of maintenance, it's easy.

The hard drive is just plug and play. You just unplug the old one and put in the new hard drive. It's very, very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The performance could be a bit better.

If they want to coordinate between the different fast CPUs with the memory or maybe if they put some polling systems that are a bit better it could possibly increase the performance of the servers.

It would be great if the product had some wireless capabilities.

We've been using the solution for two years at this point. It hasn't been a very long time.

THe solution is very, very stable. It's one of its greatest features. The solution doesn't crash or freeze. It doesn't have bugs or glitches. It's worked well for us.

We do plan to increase usage in the future. We'll continue to stick with them as we never have issues with the solution and you can scale it.

We have about 50 users on the solution, although they aren't direct users.

The technical support is good. We have set up three years of support for this solution. We always get a fast response. We can also write the ticket on the widget via a support program and the team will reach out to us directly in order to assist. We've been quite satisfied with their level of service so far.

We didn't find the implementation to be complex. The initial setup was fairly straightforward. It was easy for us to handle. We were able to do everything ourselves in-house.

The deployment takes about an hour. To install just the racks only takes five minutes.

I handled the installation myself. I didn't need any help from any consultants or integrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner as a buyer of the solution.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We've never had any issues with Dell servers. They're good. They're very stable. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

Product Categories
Rack Servers
Download our free Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.