IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Overview

What is IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio?

IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio (COS) is an enterprise analytical decision support toolkit. It enables rapid development and deployment of decision optimization models using mathematical and constraint programming. COS combines a fully featured integrated development environment (IDE) that supports Optimization Programming Language (OPL) and the high-performance CPLEX and CP Optimizer solvers. COS enables you to optimize your business decisions, develop and deploy optimization models quickly, and create real-world applications that can significantly improve business outcomes.

IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio is also known as IBM ILOG CPLEX.

IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Customers

GreenCom Networks, FleetPride, West Point

IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user766584
Research Assistant
Nov 20, 2017
I can click on the results and see how they are coming out

What is our primary use case?

I used CPLEX to solve a linear programming problem, where there was a compartment and there were a lot of containers in that compartment, and I had to optimize the space in that compartment to fit in different size containers. I am a data science guy and I'm doing optimization, so CPLEX helps me when I am not able to solve a problem using machine learning data science principles, and I can solve it using CPLEX. CPLEX is a tool that offers something which cannot be done by statistics or machine learning tools. The performance was good, but I can't compare it with any other tools, because this… more »

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor I would check if the performance is faster, the results are more accurate, and the GUI is more user-friendly than the competition. I might recommend CPLEX to a colleague, depending on the problems that they are working on. If a university is seeking challenging problems in an area which is heuristic optimization or non-linear optimization, I do not think that CPLEX is the best software to do that. In terms of linear programming, CPLEX should be the first choice.
it_user766614
Post Doctorate Research Fellow at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 16, 2017
Facilitates visualizing your prediction and helps you understand the problem better

What is our primary use case?

I just use it for solving mixed integer program models. It performs well, depending on the problem structure. Some problems have a lot less structure so they can be solved very fast, even when they are very large scale problems. But it's tricky. I don't know why, but sometimes it works very fast and other times I cannot solve it in a reasonable amount of time.

What other advice do I have?

If I had a colleague who was considering CPLEX I would tell them to just use it. It is very well-known and has a good reputation. So when you have a model that you solve with CPLEX, other people will be more convinced by your results.
it_user766608
Assistant Professor
Nov 16, 2017
Has the ability to do high-level modeling and also go all the way to the engine extensions

What is our primary use case?

I'm a professor in optimization. I do a lot of VIC routing scheduling problems and for those particular cases I use CPLEX and CP Optimizer a lot. It performs really well. Sometimes you find bugs in there but the support team is good at getting them fixed.

What other advice do I have?

When researching a product I consider what the quality, the support, and the documentation are like. The documentation for CPLEX, specifically the accessibility and where to find the documentation, is something that should be majorly improved. If you are interested in CPLEX I recommend that after you install it, look over the examples that you get. There are some old, very hidden tutorials on how to do this. At some point, somebody from IBM wrote a manual on how to do scheduling in CP. That manual was very hard to find but if you can find it, it is a very valuable source of information.
it_user766596
Scientist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 16, 2017
I use it for building mathematical optimization models for scheduling

What is our primary use case?

I use it for building mathematical optimization models for scheduling and assignment kind of models. It has performed very well.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend CPLEX to my colleagues.
WL
Graduateae23
Graduate Research Assistant
Nov 16, 2017
Compared to other platforms, coding for CPLEX is easy and the performance is good

What is our primary use case?

I use CPLEX to solve integer programming formulations. I think the performance is good. We can use it solve many problems, and it did.

What other advice do I have?

If I had a friend at another university and they had the same problem as me or a similar formulation as me, just integer programming, if CPLEX can be used to solve those problems, I would introduce CPLEX to them.
it_user766620
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Nov 16, 2017
Gives you control of the parameters and the sets, making it very flexible

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case was for a class that I've taken in integer programming where it required us to implement some basic models in CPLEX. It performed really well. It was a little bit difficult to get at the beginning. What was difficult was setting the sets into it, sets of variables.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience, it's the best out there for complex models.
YZ
PhdStudeba2c
Phd Student at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 16, 2017
Learning the languages that interface with CPLEX allows you to customize it

What is our primary use case?

This is for research, I try to develop some optimization models. I solve the problem, I write in Python, and then interface with the CPLEX package. The performance has been pretty good. I think the speed is pretty fast, although I think the interface with Python is not as friendly, because the way that you put in the data is not that intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how to use languages that interface with CPLEX, because then you can get very customized.
it_user766626
Phd Student at University Of Florida
Nov 16, 2017
Easy to write code and interpret the results; performance is good

What is our primary use case?

To solve LPN-IP. Performance was pretty good. I had some problems with solving one problem, but the problem was because of my formulation. Once I added it, it worked very well.

What other advice do I have?

I think CPLEX is the most familiar, other than Xpress and Gurobi. So, it is easy to recommend to others for general use. If they want some specific options or something then, I have to look for a manual.
it_user766599
Associate Professor at Loyola University Chicago
Nov 15, 2017
Easy to use, provides high quality solutions that make my algorithms run faster and better

What is our primary use case?

I design algorithms to solve transportation problems and then I often use CPLEX as an engine within those algorithms to solve optimization problems. It has performed very well. I have been using it since 2007 and it has gotten much better over time.

What other advice do I have?

It is still not clear to me what the GPU potential is for CPLEX. Can you leverage GPU technology, essentially? I think that would be interesting given how many processors there seem to be in those types of machines. As an academic, when I am selecting a vendor, the first question that I ask is, "is it free"? That plays a big role. But a product's reputation, the recognition of the brand name when I publish my results, that makes a difference too. I want to be able to say that I used a solver that everyone knows and respects. People will say, "Oh, yeah, of course he uses that. He did that the…
it_user766593
Graduate Research Assistant at University Of Tennessee Space Institute
Nov 15, 2017
The language is simple and intuitive but the infeasibility checks should be easier to set up

What is our primary use case?

I use CPLEX mainly for validation of the algorithms that I develop, such as metaheuristics. I want to compare their performance against CPLEX. I also use it to validate my models. The math models that I make, mixed-integer programming and stochastic programming. In order to make sure that they are feasible, to test them, I use CPLEX. And if there is a case study that is small, I usually use CPLEX to solve it. The performance is good for those exact solutions. But, in general, exact methods have this problem of computation time. And the amount of memory they need is considerable, sometimes. It… more »

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend CPLEX to colleagues who are thinking of using it. It is very reliable and there is a lot of programming behind it. I am confident that I can rely on the solutions that it gives me.
it_user766590
Graduate Research Assistant at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 15, 2017
Good at solving models and offers a variety of built-in solution methodologies

What is our primary use case?

Modeling, solving the models, things like this. It performs really well. I have experienced some trouble in the input data, but that's probably my fault more than CPLEX's fault.

What other advice do I have?

If I were to advise someone who was looking to implement CPLEX I would say that they should learn about the input data and how to call it from other languages. OPL is the language that CPLEX uses, I think. I had a hard time using that.
GZ
Professo346c
Professor
Nov 15, 2017
The most valuable feature is the integer program; fast and powerful

What is our primary use case?

I try to use CPLEX for the supply chain optimization problem.

What other advice do I have?

CPLEX is a professional and very capable tool for large-scale integer and mixed integer, even linear. I always recommend this software to my students, both undergraduate and grad students.
it_user766581
Phd Student
Nov 13, 2017
Helps me solve mathematical modeling and obtain exact solutions

What is our primary use case?

I need to do searches, solve mathematical modeling and obtain exact solutions, so I need to use CPLEX to obtain the exact solutions. I usually use CPLEX, but sometimes I use metaheuristics, and I use CPLEX to compare with metaheuristics. It is very convenient and very easy for me. It performs very well but because I'm not very familiar with it I still need to learn more about it.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend CPLEX to my colleagues or friends at the university who are doing algorithms. I actually did advise my colleague to use it, because he is also doing the integer program.
it_user766572
Phd Candidate
Nov 13, 2017
The callbacks allow you to add your own additional nuances to the solver

What is our primary use case?

I use CPLEX for network optimization, and the defaults don't work as well, but fortunately they have the callbacks that allow you to add your own additional nuances to the solver, and then that performs really well.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to anyone who is looking to implement CPLEX that they read the documentation. I do not think that it is available on PDF, it is all on HTML now, but they can find the PDF file for the 12.5 version. I find it more friendly for navigation, so I'd tell them to read that one, and then for the particular things that are in the newest versions, they can go online.
it_user766569
Phd Student at Bogazici University
Nov 13, 2017
It is easy to use and has large application areas for optimization problems

What is our primary use case?

I used CPLEX for optimization while working on my PhD thesis, as well as for writing papers. As to how it performed, sometimes CPLEX solved the cases better than me and sometimes I solved the cases better than CPLEX.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing to use CPLEX it was important to me that there were a lot of other people who were also using it and knew about it, which is how I knew that it is a good program. I would certainly recommend CPLEX to a friend or a colleague.
it_user766563
Assistant Professor at University Of Florida
Nov 13, 2017
When you do large problems, that's when you see that it's fast

What is our primary use case?

I've used it for optimization of linear models and, from what I've seen, it varies the speed compared to other libraries.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to choosing a vendor I look for people who have had a similar problem as me and I ask them how they solved it. If they tell me CPLEX then I go to CPLEX, and if they tell me something else then I go there. I have only used CPLEX for a few specific cases so I feel it would be unfair to evaluate it without really seeings all of the things that it is capable of doing. But I would recommend it to others who are considering implementing CPLEX. There is a lot of material online of people solving problems with CPLEX, which is also super helpful.
it_user766629
Associate Professor at University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine
Nov 9, 2017
I like that it can be called from many other applications and interfaces

What is our primary use case?

Optimization, mathematical modeling. It's been quite satisfactory so far. It's my choice application.

What other advice do I have?

If they're working on integer programming, mathematical, they're probably already aware of CPLEX. I can't imagine that someone is working on an integer program and has not heard about CPLEX. It's pretty much a standard, but if I come across someone who has never heard of it or is not experienced with it, then obviously I would recommend it to them, to give it a shot.
it_user766632
Research Assistant at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 9, 2017
Facilitates constraint programming, a feature that is hard to find anywhere else

What is our primary use case?

We are modeling different problems such radiation therapy optimization using CPLEX. It is great, actually. It is great for small to medium size problems. When it goes to larger problems it is slow, but it is still understandable, it is still manageable.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding advice to a colleague who is considering using CPLEX, I would say look into a very simple example. And there are handbooks available to guide you in CPLEX. Start to go through them and you can see how you can model it very easily, and you can get used to it, and then make more complex models.
it_user766635
Graduate Student at a university with 10,001+ employees
Nov 9, 2017
Easy-to-use interface and the speed have helped me in my integer research

What is our primary use case?

I use it primarily for my research. My research involves a lot of solving, a lot of integer programs and linear programs, and I primarily use CPLEX for doing that. It has been very good for me. It has helped me a lot in my research.

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly recommend using CPLEX as a problem solver. As I said earlier, in some cases - and I've heard this from some of my colleagues who have faced this problem - in somewhat large integer programming problems, Gurobi performs better in respects, but for me my problem size is not that big. For me they're both competitive to each other.