Juniper Enterprise Routers Overview

Juniper Enterprise Routers is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Routers. It is most often compared to MikroTik Routers and Switches: Juniper Enterprise Routers vs MikroTik Routers and Switches

What is Juniper Enterprise Routers?
Juniper MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers, A portfolio of SDN-ready routing platforms that provide the industry-leading system capacity, density, and performance that enterprises, service providers, and cloud operators need to thrive in our always-on, hyper-connected digital world.

Juniper Enterprise Routers is also known as MX Series.

Juniper Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Juniper Enterprise Routers Customers
AARNet Pty Ltd, Allegro Networks, Atlantech Online, Availity, Baloise Insurance, Black Lotus, CATV, Blue Box
Juniper Enterprise Routers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Enterprise Routers pricing:
  • "An additional license can be purchased for support of a next-generation firewall."

AH
Network Infrastructure Program Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good flexibility, capacity, and firewall throughput

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper routers make up the backbone of networks for our customers. The majority of them are service providers, although some of them are enterprise-level organizations.

• "The flexibility of the MPLS configuration is very good."
  • "If you are setting up a site-to-site VPN between a Juniper and Cisco device then you may encounter some issues."

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is a leading company in MPLS technology and its equipment was one of the first ones that were ready for it. This is why juniper devices are often used by service providers, more so than Cisco devices. Juniper is one of the leaders in deploying the ISSU feature, although it now exists in Cisco and other solutions as well. Certain Juniper models can be used only for the routing tables, which is important because in some cases, the routing table size is one of the factors. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first have the proper training to help understand the…
AH
High capacity throughput and a flexible MPLS configuration

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as the backbone of our network.

• "The most valuable feature is the capacity of the throughput for the firewall."
  • "The price of this solution should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is a leading company in the MPLS technology, which is one of the reasons that they are used more often than Cisco by service providers. My advice to anybody who is implementing this device is to have the proper training, first. It should not be configured before the training is complete. Also, be sure to understand the product and the features that it has to offer. In most of the cases that I have seen, the company is not really aware of the features. This means that they might have sizing issues with the product and end up with the wrong one. The high-level and low-level design should…
Learn what your peers think about Juniper Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EP
Network Engineer at a university with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, efficient, and has good functionality

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a border router.

• "I think that the extensions are very valuable. The way you can test the configuration before applying that configuration permanently is very helpful. The rollback configuration is also very useful."
  • "In terms of improvement, I would like for it to effectively protect against the broadcast storms, multicast storms, and DDoS attacks."

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is very user-friendly, efficient, and we're very happy with it. I don't know if there are other vendors that have the same kind of service out there. We are very pleased with the performance of the Juniper router. The biggest I lesson I learned from using Juniper is never go back to Cisco. I would rate it a ten out of ten. We're very happy with the current functionality.
MJ
Network Operations Center Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Suitable for an ISP environment that is starting small with plans to expand

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper Enterprise Routers are being used in a purely ISP deployment. We are a carrier, and most of our customers are smaller ISPs. We have several use cases include firewall restrictions for internal and external access, distribution switches, and the edge routers. The MX104 units are usually used for distribution.

• "On the SRX, the firewall is very easy to configure, especially when you want to filter out traffic."
  • "Most IT equipment now has graphical interfaces, and there is a need for the Juniper routers to have a more intuitive web interface."

What other advice do I have?

From my experience in the ISP world, I think that Juniper Enterprise Routers are very good products. I would recommend this solution for anybody who is looking to start small and scale up because I think that you can easily do that using Juniper products. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Technical Account Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Flexible with good stability and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily with all of our customers. I work for a Telecommunication provider, and therefore we have a lot of customers that we support. We implement this product according to our customer's requirements.

• "The solution is quite stable. We've found it to be very good. There aren't bugs, glitches, or crashes."
  • "The solution needs to offer SDN features."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. It's not that I don't like the product, but I prefer the SDN solutions. It's a good product. My personal preference is for direct, however. Juniper solutions are very flexible and very good. They offer very good performance. I have no problems with them. I'd feel comfortable recommending the solution. Other companies should try it out. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
ZP
Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We use it as a central router, and it is very stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a central router for both 10G and 100G ports. We are an internet exchange, so we need to have a router for connecting our partners. We use Juniper Enterprise Router only in the backbone application. We don't have any end users. Therefore, we don't heavily use access lists or filters, but we bought a firewall card in order to protect our root servers, web servers, etc.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

The third-level customer support coming from Juniper itself could be much better. To get assistance from Juniper, we sometimes have to wait for weeks and months. I don't really appreciate that. Their support should be faster.

I have been using this…
BS
Consultant at NE-Infracell
Straightforward to set up, and it performs well in small medium ISP

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator in Indonesia and the Juniper Enterprise Routers are one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our customers are communication service providers and ISPs.

• "The most valuable feature is the standard routing protocol."
  • "Enhancing the capacity would be a welcome improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I find this to be a good product. The features are completely stable, customers are happy with their investment, although there is occasionally with the reliability of certain modules. I would rate this solution an nine out of ten.
Business Owner at Dropsoft
A reliable edge routing that has scaled with my needs

What is our primary use case?

We are a wireless internet service provider that distributes internet service. We deal with two different service providers and the hardware we use includes Juniper Enterprise Routers. This product is being used as my edge router.

• "The most valuable feature is reliability."
  • "The web interface can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good product. It is a very stable solution and I can recommend it. The only difficulty is that it is hard to set up. I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.
See 2 more Juniper Enterprise Routers Reviews
Product Categories
Routers
Download our free Juniper Enterprise Routers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.