Juniper SRX Overview

Juniper SRX is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Juniper SRX vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Juniper SRX?
High-performance security with advanced, integrated threat intelligence, delivered on the industry's most scalable and resilient platform. SRX Series gateways set new benchmarks with 100GbE interfaces and feature Express Path technology, which enables up to 1 Tbps performance for the data center.

Juniper SRX is also known as SRX.

Juniper SRX Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper SRX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Juniper SRX Customers
7-Eleven, AARNet Pty Ltd, Allegro Networks, alltours GmbH, Apollo Hotel Papendrecht, Armstrong Atlantic State University, Atlantech Online, Availity, Bajaj Capital, Baloise Insurance, BancABC, BAS Group, Black Lotus, Blue Box, Borealis, Carilion Clinic, Catholic Health System, CATV, Champlain College, Chinas Ministry of Railways, China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT), Cloud Dynamics, CloudSeeds, Cloudwatt, CODONiS, Colt Technology Services, Cork Internet Exchange, CSS Versicherung AG, CyrusOne, Danish Crown, Deloitte Belgium, Department of Energy, Divona Telecom, DQE Communications, DreamHost, European Government Agency, Expedient, Financial Market Information Services Provider, Fluidata, Fonality, Fox Sports, Global Financial Institution, Global Investment Bank, Global Investment Company, Energy Sciences Network (ESnet), Goethe University, HEAnet, High Performance Networks Inc., Hillenbrand
Juniper SRX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper SRX pricing:
  • "There was no additional licensing cost because there were no IPS services. It was just a firewall IP circuit router so they have the default licensing. We just need to renew the support yearly."
  • "In terms of pricing, Juniper is in the middle. The most expensive firewall is Palo Alto. If a customer wants the cheapest price they should go for FortiGate. Juniper is in between these products."
  • "While the price of support is expensive, the price of the solution, itself, is not."
  • "The direct support with Juniper is expensive. When you stop using the solution and miss one year of payments, if you want the support back on a specific node, they ask you to pay for the year that you haven't used the node."
  • "The pricing is perhaps half, probably forty percent, of Cisco."

Juniper SRX Reviews

Shashidhara B N
Director - Technology Solutions & Services at Connectivity IT Services Private Limited
Jul 27, 2020
This best in class Next-Gen firewall is elegant in its ease-of-use and architecture

What is our primary use case?

For different customers, we use the product in different ways. In some cases, it is going to be an on-premises solution. In some cases, it is going to be a cloud-integrated solution. That is one of the best things about Juniper. We can use a single box and have the same unified policy structure if it is off the cloud or it is on-premises. Our primary use case is basically to use it like you would any other firewall. I do not call this a firewall anymore because it has functionality beyond what we traditionally think of as a firewall. Those days are gone where a firewall does just one thing… more »

• "Juniper is one of the most powerful network security solutions while remaining simple to use, set up, and scale."
  • "It could have features that other products support like blade options and stand-alone endpoint security."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Juniper as a solution would be to first understand that the product needs to be chosen to fit the environment. You want to get the one right box that has the capacity you need. You have everything you need in the model by just updating your license. You do not have to look for a new box when your traffic remains under the upper limits of the capacity. If you are under the limitations of the capacity, the traffic goes straight out, unimpeded. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Juniper SRX as a nine or even a…
Girish Vyas
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Nov 30, 2019
Enables us to integrate a firewall and router in a single product but IPS needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We leverage this as a firewall and for IT tech services. It's more of a firewall used in a router sorting device. I see major benefits from leveraging it like this.

• "It helped us with its routing capabilities which eased the cost, because otherwise I would have had to take a router and firewall, and then integrate it. With this, however, it was an integration of firewall and routing services all together in a single product. That was one thing that I loved about it."
  • "IPS is one that I would definitely want to be improved. I would also like SSL VPN to be integrated."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a product that can give you routing as well as security services, and you're not looking for too much taxing on the security part, I guess this is a good product. If, however, you're looking for security services on a greater edge, maybe something like next-gen firewall features, referencing services, or IPS to a greater level, I would recommend going with other security products. If you want integration of both, you can use this, and maybe if you evaluate, or move forward with better services over a period of time and better models of that, maybe this is something that…
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Srengineer98987
Sr. Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Apr 7, 2019
Good Layer 3 and Layer 4 protection, but the solution is not end-to-end

What is our primary use case?

Juniper SRX is solely used as a firewall gateway. We use it only for interfacing with the internet and for server farms, as a data center firewall gateway.

• "Most of our clients use it as a traditional firewall, blocking Layer 3 and Layer 4, blocking by transport."
  • "it would be more powerful if Juniper brought out a security product other than the firewall, like anti-spam, endpoint protection, etc. Customers who want to deploy security solutions are not just thinking about firewalls... Juniper should have an end-to-end solution, from the endpoint to the network level."

What other advice do I have?

Juniper is good at the routing protocol. If you want a solution to protect your environment from the internet, I would propose a firewall gateway solution but ultimately it depends on what the customer needs. We are partnered with Juniper, so if customers ask for a firewall solution, the first solution that we pick is generally a Juniper firewall. If a customer wants a firewall other than Juniper, we offer it. Usually, we will do a firewall like FortiGate or Palo Alto, if the customer has enough money, as Palo Alto is very expensive.
RiskMana49f0
Risk Management and Security Governance at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
May 13, 2019
Simple to implement and handles MBPN traffic well

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for MPBN, where we provide a firewall for our mobile data customers. As an ISP, we protect the 2G, 3G, and 4G customers.

• "The most valuable feature is the virtualization because it can be used for customers who are using the mobile data network to request a private connection to a remote site."
  • "The Juniper product has to improve in terms of innovation."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to make sure that you have local support because it is very important. Juniper does have some good options in terms of support. This is not a perfect solution because I think that there is still room for improvement, but I think it is the best solution that I have tested for MBPN. I would rate this solution an eight and a half out of ten.
ipmplspr538920
Security Governance at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 7, 2019
The virtualization feature is the most valuable feature, as sometimes customers request a private connection using mobile data

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution mainly for the NPCs and the firewall of the mobile data customers. We are using it to protect the ISP of the mobile data customers: 2G, 3G, and 4G customers.

• "The virtualization feature is the most valuable feature. Sometimes customers are requesting a private connection using mobile data when they are connecting to remote sites."
  • "The Juniper SRX product needs to improve in terms of innovation."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to have skilled local support. We are planning to move to the bigger version of Juniper SRX later this year (SRX5800). We are also planning to move to IPv6.
Richardq LaJambe
Senior Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Dec 18, 2020
Good technical support, but the reliability and integration with other devices need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper SRX is our edge firewall. We have three in total. Two of them are set up in an HA pair, and the other is standalone in another city.

• "I have used technical support quite a bit, and they are really good."
  • "We purchased three devices and all three have been replaced under RMA."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is to make sure that they fully understand Junos OS. Over the past four years, I have become moderately proficient with Juniper SRX. There still a lot to learn but I also have contractors that I can get assistance from if needed. For example, currently, I'm trying to set up RADIUS and I'm having some problems with it. In summary, I think that their design philosophy is really good, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Darcy Hiebert
Network Architect - Contractor at TEML
May 10, 2019
The operating system and the flexibility it provides is what really differentiates this solution

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is a combination of a firewall, router, and VPN termination device.

• "There is a lot of flexibility in how you can commit, check, and back out of a configuration."
  • "It's a good stable firewall, but it's nowhere near what it needs to be for a next-generation type firewall."

What other advice do I have?

This solution is really nice to use. It's very similar in terms of capabilities to a Cisco, but it's just that the operating system is so much nicer to use. I would say that you need some time to get comfortable with the operating system if you've never used it before, but don't let that scare you. Buy it and put it on your desk for a week, then play with it. If you've got a live environment or if you've got some type of simulation you can set it up in, it won't take long and you can feel comfortable using it. I would rate this product an eight and a half out of ten.
reviewer1332756
Pre-Sales Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Dec 11, 2020
Stable with application control features and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the SD-WAN solution, not the firewall. We use it to protect the perimeter of the client. It's like a firewall for the perimeter.

• "The solution has been good for fulfilling our basic needs."
  • "The solution isn't very granular or detailed."

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We don't use the product ourselves. We implement solutions such as this for our clients. I'd advise those considering the solution to gather the most information possible and organize it so that you can configure the firewall according to the company's needs. The relationship between the information that we get and what the client needs at the firewall, the real needs, is important. Overall, we've been happy with the solution and I would rate it a nine out of ten.
See 16 more Juniper SRX Reviews
Download our free Juniper SRX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.