Juniper SRX Overview

Juniper SRX is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Juniper SRX vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Juniper SRX?
High-performance security with advanced, integrated threat intelligence, delivered on the industry's most scalable and resilient platform. SRX Series gateways set new benchmarks with 100GbE interfaces and feature Express Path technology, which enables up to 1 Tbps performance for the data center.

Juniper SRX is also known as SRX.

Juniper SRX Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper SRX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Juniper SRX Customers
7-Eleven, AARNet Pty Ltd, Allegro Networks, alltours GmbH, Apollo Hotel Papendrecht, Armstrong Atlantic State University, Atlantech Online, Availity, Bajaj Capital, Baloise Insurance, BancABC, BAS Group, Black Lotus, Blue Box, Borealis, Carilion Clinic, Catholic Health System, CATV, Champlain College, Chinas Ministry of Railways, China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT), Cloud Dynamics, CloudSeeds, Cloudwatt, CODONiS, Colt Technology Services, Cork Internet Exchange, CSS Versicherung AG, CyrusOne, Danish Crown, Deloitte Belgium, Department of Energy, Divona Telecom, DQE Communications, DreamHost, European Government Agency, Expedient, Financial Market Information Services Provider, Fluidata, Fonality, Fox Sports, Global Financial Institution, Global Investment Bank, Global Investment Company, Energy Sciences Network (ESnet), Goethe University, HEAnet, High Performance Networks Inc., Hillenbrand
Juniper SRX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper SRX pricing:
  • "There was no additional licensing cost because there were no IPS services. It was just a firewall IP circuit router so they have the default licensing. We just need to renew the support yearly."
  • "This is an expensive product."
  • "The price could improve, it is a bit expensive."

Shashidhara B N
Director - Technology Solutions & Services at Connectivity IT Services Private Limited
This best in class Next-Gen firewall is elegant in its ease-of-use and architecture

What is our primary use case?

For different customers, we use the product in different ways. In some cases, it is going to be an on-premises solution. In some cases, it is going to be a cloud-integrated solution. That is one of the best things about Juniper. We can use a single box and have the same unified policy structure if it is off the cloud or it is on-premises. Our primary use case is basically to use it like you would any other firewall. I do not call this a firewall anymore because it has functionality beyond what we traditionally think of as a firewall. Those days are gone where a firewall does just one thing… more »

• "Juniper is one of the most powerful network security solutions while remaining simple to use, set up, and scale."
  • "It could have features that other products support like blade options and stand-alone endpoint security."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Juniper as a solution would be to first understand that the product needs to be chosen to fit the environment. You want to get the one right box that has the capacity you need. You have everything you need in the model by just updating your license. You do not have to look for a new box when your traffic remains under the upper limits of the capacity. If you are under the limitations of the capacity, the traffic goes straight out, unimpeded. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Juniper SRX as a nine or even a…
Girish Vyas
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to integrate a firewall and router in a single product but IPS needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We leverage this as a firewall and for IT tech services. It's more of a firewall used in a router sorting device. I see major benefits from leveraging it like this.

• "It helped us with its routing capabilities which eased the cost, because otherwise I would have had to take a router and firewall, and then integrate it. With this, however, it was an integration of firewall and routing services all together in a single product. That was one thing that I loved about it."
  • "IPS is one that I would definitely want to be improved. I would also like SSL VPN to be integrated."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a product that can give you routing as well as security services, and you're not looking for too much taxing on the security part, I guess this is a good product. If, however, you're looking for security services on a greater edge, maybe something like next-gen firewall features, referencing services, or IPS to a greater level, I would recommend going with other security products. If you want integration of both, you can use this, and maybe if you evaluate, or move forward with better services over a period of time and better models of that, maybe this is something that…
Learn what your peers think about Juniper SRX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AT
Project manager at computer care company
Robust operating in an HA environment, but it is expensive and the training videos should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we work closely with our clients to identify their requirements, and then we suggest a solution. Once they accept it, we implement it. The Juniper SRX is one of the models that our clients have chosen. It is primarily used as a firewall.

• "The most valuable feature is robustness."
  • "The training videos that are available need to be improved, and made more educative."

What other advice do I have?

Most of the companies that we deal with have a committee that takes care of purchases. We sit with the committee and they iterate through the various benefits of the solutions, after which the purchase is finalized. We are not biassed toward any particular product. We explain everything to our clients, show them the prices, and they come back to say what product they have chosen. In summary, this is a good product, although it is a little bit expensive and the training could be improved. Training is something that is very important, and we were not able to get much information. For example, we…
RL
Senior Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Good technical support, but the reliability and integration with other devices need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper SRX is our edge firewall. We have three in total. Two of them are set up in an HA pair, and the other is standalone in another city.

• "I have used technical support quite a bit, and they are really good."
  • "We purchased three devices and all three have been replaced under RMA."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this product is to make sure that they fully understand Junos OS. Over the past four years, I have become moderately proficient with Juniper SRX. There still a lot to learn but I also have contractors that I can get assistance from if needed. For example, currently, I'm trying to set up RADIUS and I'm having some problems with it. In summary, I think that their design philosophy is really good, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
SS
Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable, good for putting policies in place and quite stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for protection and security. We primarily use the solution for an internal firewall.

• "The solution has proven to be quite stable."
  • "I've noticed that the management interface could use some updates and upgrades."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. In general, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this product at a nine. We've been quite satisfied with its capabilities so far. I'd recommend the solution, however, it really depends on what an organization needs. There are various factors, like pricing, for example, that should be taken into account when looking at solutions.
PD
Pre-Sales Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable with application control features and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the SD-WAN solution, not the firewall. We use it to protect the perimeter of the client. It's like a firewall for the perimeter.

• "The solution has been good for fulfilling our basic needs."
  • "The solution isn't very granular or detailed."

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We don't use the product ourselves. We implement solutions such as this for our clients. I'd advise those considering the solution to gather the most information possible and organize it so that you can configure the firewall according to the company's needs. The relationship between the information that we get and what the client needs at the firewall, the real needs, is important. Overall, we've been happy with the solution and I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Gertis Des Vignes
ICT Product Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Interface uncomplicated, integrates efficiently, and desirable features

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a device to meet NTLS connections, a firewall, and we are thinking about using it for SD-WAN.

• "The firewall features and the routing capability are the most valuable."
  • "Their models for service providers could improve."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, generally, it is a good product with helpful support. The one thing we would like to see changes in is the pricing could be better. I rate Juniper SRX an eight out of ten.
AG
Network Engineer & Cyber Security Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
User friendly with pretty good GUI and easy troubleshooting capabilities

• "Troubleshooting with the solution is quite easy. If you compare the process to, for example, Fortigate, Juniper is much easier."
  • "While the GUI is pretty good on the Juniper side, there can still be tweaks made to it that will make it even better."

What other advice do I have?

Our client is a medium, small branch company. When they purchased this firewall, they understood that they could use it for a couple of years. I have a client that works with Juniper 4200 and 4300 and they find the solution to be very user-friendly. Overall, I would recommend the solution as it is easy to use and has a pretty good GUI. Customers really seem to like it. In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.
See 18 more Juniper SRX Reviews
Download our free Juniper SRX Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.