Layer7 API Management Overview

Layer7 API Management is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Apigee: Layer7 API Management vs Apigee

What is Layer7 API Management?

To compete successfully and thrive today, enterprises across every industry need to transform. This process is not just about incremental improvement, but about evolving core businesses to meet the demands of today’s connected world.

CA API Management accelerates this digital transformation by providing the capabilities you need to bring systems together, secure these integrations, deliver better customer experiences faster and capitalize on new opportunities.

Read more at http://www.ca.com/api

Layer7 API Management is also known as CA API Management, CA Live API Creator, Espresso Logic, CA API Gateway.

Layer7 API Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Layer7 API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Layer7 API Management Customers

Alaska Airlines, The Advisory Board Company, Amerigroup, IceMobile, R+V Versicherung, U.S. Army - plus hundreds of other customers in the banking, energy, finance, healthcare, government, manufacturing, transportation and retail sectors.

Layer7 API Management Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Layer7 API Management pricing:
  • "Keep in mind the non-product licensing, e.g., if you opt not to use the embedded SQL."
  • "If you do a TCO of more than five years, then you will see a big jump in costs for some vendors."
  • "At the time we bought the product it was a perpetual users license and there has been no need for additional licensing fees."
  • "There are some costs for maintenance that we are charged, but that seems fair because we get the support."
  • "This solution is a bit more expensive than competitors."
  • "It was very high at that time. We are a Broadcom CA partner, and we got it only for testing purposes. We didn't pay anything for it."

Ewan Sadie
API Technical Lead at Sanlam
Serves to standardise routing messaging services into a single API view with multiple channels

What is our primary use case?

We started off exposing REST APIs to other business units and our external partners by doing legacy integration. The Gateway is a security control point and a way to drive standardisation. Live API Creator is used very successfully by one of our businesses to run all their APIs. Other BUs use the Live API Creator to create the easy, "quick win" APIs, which do not make sense to host on the ESB or where resources are not available to do it quickly. We handle some SOAP services where we are only interested in adding additional security and metrics on top of the SOAP services. We even transform… more »

• "A big win for CA was the expertise of the local country support plus having support staff on site in a matter of hours, if required."
  • "The Portal lacks maturity. Since the move from Portal 3.x to 4.x, a lot of features were removed. It is slowly coming back. I can see a lot of changes are done in the "background" to decouple components and make it more flexible. Those changes are just not getting to the UI side quick enough."

What other advice do I have?

We are very happy with the solution. The product set currently falls within our development area and that is a good fit. Some companies would tend to bundle this with security or networking as the product set also functions as a security device. By placing it in security, you are limiting yourself a lot and will never reach the full potential of all the product's capabilities. You need technical in-house people with development background to run the product set. Constantly look at all the features. I found that when revisiting components, which were not important a few months prior, you…
BC
IT / Enterprise Architect, IT Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Controlled access using IP filtering, and IP whitelisting for security management and governance

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for controlling all web services, traffic, or API traffic. All connections are going through the Layer7 API gateway. That is done for the purpose of security, management, and governance.

• "It impresses me as a product because it never goes down. It always does what it is supposed to do."
  • "Some users say that the API lacks some features and is lagging behind the competition although that has not been my personal experience."
  • "The interface is Java which is difficult to make look very nice."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as a nine-out-of-ten. In order to rate it 10, it would need to be perfect. What I find other people saying is that the product portal for API development lacks some features. People who need that functionality are not impressed. They say it is lagging behind the competition. That is not my experience so I do not know anything about it. I have to guess they are right from their first-hand experience. What I do not know — but it could be a potential problem — is when you have to deploy the products…
Learn what your peers think about Layer7 API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprise API Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
We created Enterprise API Management Layer for our legacy systems using this solution.

What is our primary use case?

I am an Enterprise API architect and we are one of the biggest conglomerate organizations in Dubai. We have a lot of retail businesses, automotive businesses, and other interests. What we are doing is using the API Management to build out a proper, consistent API layer for our legacy systems and microservices as well. That will enable us to expand our reach in digital channels. We are already using Dell Boomi in our organization for ESB purposes and are more focused on that development right now and hope to do more with Layer7 in the future.

• "The solution fills our two most important concerns in seeking an API solution by providing a reliable gateway and security options."
  • "The setup was not as straightforward as it should have been. Support should be improved."
  • "The architecture of the solution does not allow for flexibility in using different components for the gateway architecture."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Layer7 as a nine. Right now it is a bit premature to rate the product overall but in terms of the disappointment in the community support opportunities, I would rate it as a seven as of now. I think with the situation that we are in and with the current economic atmosphere, there is definitely a reason for those looking for an API solution to also consider open-source products. Instead of going with the proprietary products, sometimes considerations depend on the size of the organization and the budget. Every…
Tanmoy Bandyopadhyay
Technology Analyst at Infosys Technologies Ltd
Gives us insight to the original view and tells us how much data there is

What is our primary use case?

We've been using it to program intermittently. There's a problem with one version, which saves pretty slowly. Now it's good. Then we found that this is cheaper. The advantages include the coding, as well as getting emails and alerts from them.

• "This improved our organization, because it gives the management data to discuss for the next course of action and it suggests what to work on, as the next thing."
  • "From the last version, they have added more dashboard support, but there is still a lot they need to improve. In terms of monitoring, it's almost all covered. The interface can be improved, though."

What other advice do I have?

I would say implement it. If you are new to APIs and things, you won't understand it, but if you have some experience it will be okay. I would rate this as eight of ten.
Alfredo Silva
Experience Design Lead and Strategist at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Many API protections against attacks, reliable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use the solution for a secured layer to protect their API. Most of them have two kinds of API, the frontend, and backend.

• "When I have used technical support they helped me a lot. Sometimes they took a long time to respond because we had very complex issues that we asked them for help with, but I think it is a very good service."
  • "The Policy Manager tool that is used to manage the solution is very heavy to use because it is based in Java. Sometimes it takes a long time to load. There could be some improvements to it. If they could make Policy Manager on a web page that would be a good alternative."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I really like the solution. I rate Layer7 API Management a nine out of ten.
JV
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The best part about it is that it doesn't stop if something is missing during the installation, it looks for it on its own

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Layer7 API Management to monitor stuff. I'm the one who installs it. They sent me a TAR file, I unloaded it to TAR, brought it up, and made everything work. I gave it the three different network configurations to talk to the three different domains, and then I turn it over to the guys, and they do what they got to do with it.

What is most valuable?

The best part about it is that it doesn't stop if something is missing during the installation. It looks for it on its own. I don't have to be there to do it physically.

I've been using Layer7 API Management for about three months.

Layer7 API Management appears to be stable. No one has called…
SM
CEO and Co-Founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A good solution for microservices and APIs, but its price is high

What is our primary use case?

We had a test version, which was more of an on-prem version, and we also had some on the Docker for a live API creator. We are a security service company, and we provide a lot of solutions in that space. We were just trying to have a frictionless authentication product, so we were working on that. We were looking for a Gateway that can serve in an API, and we've already got an open-source solution.

• "We loved the portal part the most, which had monetization and showed how people were using the stuff. It is a good product as a whole and has a lot of microservices and granular features."
  • "The delivery is bulky in terms of implementation. Its price could also be better. It is a very good product as compared to CA API, Google API, and WSO2 API, but its price is high. From the cloud-native perspective, some new features need to be added. It could also be made simpler to implement."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. This is one of the good solutions for microservices and APIs and for people who need to go the digital way. There are a lot of other solutions that are coming into the market, and the infrastructure landscape is changing. I would rate Layer7 API Management a six out of ten.
ANDRE MONTEIRO
Account Director – SEC4YOU Cybersecurity (previously Presales Engineer) at Sec4you
A visual user interface to instantly create APIs

What is our primary use case?

We use Layer7 API Management for digital banking: for signing, validation, transactions, etc. We are a partner, so there are roughly 40 people inside my company working with Layer7.

• "The mobile access gateway (MAG) is tremendous."
  • "They need a multifactor authentication solution for the API layer and the other layers, as well."

What other advice do I have?

If you wish to implement Layer7 API Management, it is paramount that you understand, first, what you need. Most of the time, the customer doesn't understand the power of APIs and how they should be managed inside an organization. If your customer doesn't have a plan, it doesn't matter what solution they use — nothing will work. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.
See 1 more Layer7 API Management Reviews