Micro Focus ALM Octane Overview

Micro Focus ALM Octane is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. It is most often compared to Jira: Micro Focus ALM Octane vs Jira

What is Micro Focus ALM Octane?

In support of the bimodal nature of many customers today, Micro Focus has expanded the ALM experience by introducing ALM Octane, as a separate platform that is tuned and designed for high-velocity, Lean and Agile teams. ALM Octane is an included part of the ALM product, and integrates with both Micro Focus Agile Manager and the traditional Micro Focus ALM.NET platform to allow teams to easily share assets and report across projects.

Micro Focus ALM Octane is also known as Micro Focus Octane.

Micro Focus ALM Octane Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus ALM Octane Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Micro Focus ALM Octane Customers

Orange Labs, Airbus, Haufe Group

Micro Focus ALM Octane Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus ALM Octane pricing:
  • "The comparison is always with Jira, so the pricing of Octane is a bit on the higher side. But if you look at what you have to add to Jira, on the plug-in side, to have the same abilities you have with Octane, you're more or less even, or even ahead with Octane."
  • "Microsoft is a big challenge for Micro Focus when it comes to pricing because they are much cheaper. But it definitely depends on the complexity of the environment. If it has multiple technologies, at that point, looking at other options and Microsoft would be a feasible approach."
  • "Going forward, I think we will want to explore adding more licenses."
  • "The solution has reduced our testing costs."

Micro Focus ALM Octane Reviews

reviewer953499
Process Owner E/E Test Management at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 27, 2021
Reporting engine, widgets, and dashboards are a huge plus, and powerful REST interface means we can interact with other tools

What is our primary use case?

We are using ALM Octane for electronic component testing and validation. We have a few departments where they are developing their software and using JIRA projects and exchanging results with Octane. About 80 percent of the users are not in software development itself, but are in software testing. The software is developed by external companies and we are just doing the integration testing. We are putting the components together from five different suppliers, and then doing the integration testing. Is the software working in real life, together, from the different control units of different… more »

• "The key feature is the usability. It is fast to learn and easy to use. It's very intuitive to work with. Most of the important functions are available via a few clicks, compared to other tools where I have to open a sub-menu and then a sub-menu and another sub-menu, and then press a button."
  • "The elements in filtering need to be improved, meaning the number of filters I can use in widgets or in the grid views in parallel. There's a limitation which bothers a lot of our users. Filtering in text, or having a complex filter is limited. In a given field, for example, I can use a filter only once. I cannot say, 'Include the values 1, 2, and 3, and exclude value 17.' This is not possible but we have requested it often."

What other advice do I have?

Do a quick scan of tools in the market and dig into your needs. Especially for a project with a lot of users with different styles of working together, Octane is the best tool because of the shared space/Workspace concept. Management is able to get a total overview of all the projects or workspaces and the teams are able to operate in their particular styles. That would be my advice. For small teams, there might be different solutions that are cheaper, JIRA for example, and tools that are more flexible. But if you need to run bigger businesses, Octane is the best because it's replacing a whole…
Agne Gecevice
Release Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 13, 2021
By supporting agile, it reduces complexity and the need to manage multiple tools

What is our primary use case?

ALM Octane is used to manage our software delivery. Currently, we are running the hybrid mode. We use traditional waterfall delivery as well as agile. * For waterfall delivery, it is managed completely. Then, we have our requirements and our test cases to cover those requirements as well as the defects. * For agile, we currently have only one team. So, all team activity happens in ALM Octane. Their backlog is broken down into user stories tasks, then covered by the test coverage. We have installed it on a Windows Server on our systems.

• "There are a lot of predefined reports. We can attach additional reports for users, like who worked on what defect and when, as well as what is the status of the release compared to the previous release. It is really endless. All the data is really linked together. Then, if all the data is linked together, there is an option to prepare reports out of it. We are very impressed with its reporting capabilities."
  • "They don't support all IDEs yet. We have Visual Studio code, which is not supported, and loved by our developers. This integration is missing. We also had to do our own in-house integration with the Confluence. That is also something that they could add."

What other advice do I have?

Define the process which fits your organization best. Explore the features in the test management and test execution area, then define the process that is best for you because there are a lot of options. Also, when you do create your data, make sure that you connect it to the right items. Because once you put the correct data into the tool, then you can build strong reports. However, the reports are only as strong as the data behind them. MF Connect, which is a separate tool from Micro Focus, provides additional data synchronization. With MF Connect, you can synchronize ALM Octane with Excel…
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus ALM Octane. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stefan Berchtold
Release Management and Testing Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 14, 2021
Enables us to produce standardized reports, on a project basis, with one click

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are test management, defect management, and release management. We also do quality management and we have started to put our Agile journey on it. That is something we started at the end of last year. We're putting more and more on it. We're doing Agile delivery and Waterfall delivery with it.

• "On the user side, what I like a lot is the reporting capabilities. There's no tool, to my knowledge, that gets anywhere close to Octane at the moment when it comes to the reporting capabilities. I can do everything with the reporting. There's nothing missing. I have all the options. I can create graphs, including graphs of several types and looks."
  • "Updating items, sorting, bulk updates—these things could have a bit more flexibility, but it's still possible to do them."

What other advice do I have?

You definitely need to prepare well, if you're going to implement it. Do a proper analysis of where you're coming from and what is still needed and what is not needed, and really kick out stuff that isn't needed anymore. It will make the whole migration to Octane easier when you have less historical data in it. I see that our users like to add things and try new things because it's built in an open manner. When you add Python scripts and use the API connection, you have a lot of flexibility for doing certain things. I see some developers who like it and who like to experiment with how to work…
reviewer1095564
AGM, Delivery Excellence at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 24, 2020
Provides end-to-end traceability and good milestone visibility

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for agile projects. Our company projects run using Agile models, so we use all the important modules of Octane, like Backlog, Epics, Feature, and user story in Tasks. We are also using the Product Backlog and Team Backlog modules as well as the Quality modules under quality, test and defects. This is primarily for agile and are all the modules and dashboards that we use. Another use is for waterfall projects. To some extent, we are using the requirement documents and Quality modules for our waterfall projects. We just started analyzing and using a module called Pipelines… more »

• "Its end-to-end traceability is one of the big advantages. Most of our agile projects work in a closed team structure. We are seeing what is the flow, where we are, and what is the project milestone. So, it provides end-to-end traceability and good visibility of project milestones."
  • "The cluster architecture that we implemented was server to server communication: Octane application to Elasticsearch and Elasticsearch to another Elasticsearch service. Recently, we found this is a security gap. The Octane application is interacting with Elasticsearch server, but that was missing from the requirements and prerequisites in the setup. The Micro Focus team has not given advice on how to implement authentication-based communication between Octane to Elasticsearch, and we found it as a gap later, then our security team asked us to fix that gap. So, there was a lot of time spent on rework."

What other advice do I have?

Our testers and manager do conduct risk-based testing implicitly, but we don't call it that. We apply it unconsciously and do it on the fly. We upload 100 or 200 test cases, depending on the timeline, and prioritize them. At the end of the day, we execute 70 or 80 of them and roll out the project. Eventually, all the functionalities are covered and no defects slip to production. Currently, Octane's support for single sign-on is implemented separately, so we are not using it. Maybe in future we will use it. We are ready to explore a couple of the solution's capabilities. I would have given a…
reviewer1039404
Founder, Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 24, 2020
Defect management, being able to relate defects and testing to the initial user requirements, is key for our clients

What is our primary use case?

One use case was for development life cycle management for a pool of developers using it in an Oracle and .NET development environment.

• "The defect management gives us full-fledged capabilities for handling defects, including capturing the details of the defects and even screenshotting the defect cases. The defect management is comprehensive."
  • "Security and security management, meaning the integration of the security, could be enhanced. We know about Fortify, but it would be better to have security features in the original Octane platform without the need for another solution or another application."

What other advice do I have?

Dedicate someone for the administration. Often companies assign a developer to take care of it but this is not the proper approach. Someone needs to have responsibility for the administration. Also the process when using the solution should be a consultative approach. First look at your process and your development life cycle and then reflect it in the tool. Also, be clear about the integration points before starting the implementation so that the technical requirement and scope, etc., are clear. Regarding reducing manual testing time, this didn't happen in the extreme because we were already…
Wilheminah Ngqola
QA Specialist at Vodacom
Dec 6, 2020
Combines everything into a single platform so someone doesn't have to look at many systems

What is our primary use case?

We are only using the Quality testing module of Octane to test newly developed mobile solutions or changes. For example, if someone wants to deploy a new promotion of a cheap bundle for 1 GB of 50 ram. Once that goes through the project management and comes to us, we use mostly these three Octane modules: Backlog, Quality, and Pipelines.

• "The solution natively supports Agile-Waterfall hybrid software development at an enterprise scale. This is very important to us. Because even though the company wishes to go Agile, we still have projects which follow a Waterfall methodology. In order for us to accommodate both, we needed some sort of hybrid system. Because if we are using a fully Agile system, then the reporting might not be correctly extracted."
  • "The reporting needs to be improved and allow for customization. I want to build my own widgets, but I don't want to use the ones already in the system. I want to build mine from scratch."

What other advice do I have?

We don't use the security features of this solution yet, but it is something that my boss wants us to tap into. Systems and technologies are evolving as well as methodologies. I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.
GeorgNauerz
Managing Partner at Georg Nauerz Consulting
Dec 24, 2020
Makes team collaboration between IT and non-IT users easier with more transparency

• "The user experience is a lot better than any tool that I have used before. Overall, it is great. It has a smooth interface, which is very user-friendly. It makes it easier to work together and have more transparency and customization, which is very good."
  • "It could use just some small improvements. I would like additional features, like planning features, user story mapping, or connection to collaboration tools."

What other advice do I have?

Micro Focus ALM Octane natively supports waterfall, hybrid, and agile software development at an enterprise scale. There is no difference based on whatever path that you are trying to follow. You have work, and if you do it in cycles and iterations, that's fine. If you don't, that is fine too. The solution provides out-of-the-box integrations to proprietary, third-party, and open source tools. However, we are not using DevOps integration right now. I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10.
Vishwa-Reddy
Test Automation Eng Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 23, 2020
User-friendly, good testing features, and helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use ALM Octane for lifecycle management and for testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the test lab. For example, we use it for both mobile testing and browser testing. The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the mobile testing improved so that we can simply select a mobile device, then specify what parameters we want, and the testing will be run based on that. This feature would be a very good addition.

I have been using ALM Octane for about eight and a half years.

We have not had any challenges in terms of stability.

This is a…
See 1 more Micro Focus ALM Octane Reviews
Download our free Micro Focus ALM Octane Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.