Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Overview

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Performance Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is also known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional pricing:
  • "I don't know the licensing cost, but I think that you would get a discount for normal usage. I think there are different yearly options for different types of usage. It is not only how many users, but also whether it is shareable or not and other criteria involved in each feature. There are additional fees for the users and hardware linked to the processing."
  • "It is competing with other products that may cost significantly less or may be available as open-source. Because of that it is relatively expensive."
  • "The licensing fees are based on the number of users."
  • "This is not a cheap product."

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews

QAmgr9845
QA Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 15, 2019
Good synchronization capabilities but pilot processing needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for load testing and stress testing of applications. It tests whether services are running at an optimal point or not. It can also be used for benchmarking with other industry standards.

• "Very useful for finding out how the system responds to load, stress, and normal situations, as well as benchmarking with other industry competitors. It also improved our response time, memory delegation, and CPU delegation. In addition, we used LoadRunner to optimize our database and website."
  • "There is room for improvement of the pilot processing, the dump analysis, and forwarding results based on the dump analysis. We have a generator, root controller, different agents, and an analyzer, so all of these are very important when it comes to LoadRunner."

What other advice do I have?

When you compare other products to LoadRunner, LoadRunner has been in the market for a long time. You could use it to integrate with everything. Also, it can generate an input that we can use in any version, it can improve our performance, and we can put input in and we get a command from LoadRunner for that.
Prashant Sarswat
Head - Testing Centre of Excellence at NIIT Technologies Limited
Jun 19, 2020
Very good controller and a market leader, but not cost effective for small business

What is our primary use case?

In our organization, the solution is required for the testing of the performance of applications, response time, and the utilization of resources.

• "The most useful aspect of the solution is that it provides agents in different geographic locations."
  • "The solution is very costly. The cost is very high, especially considering a lot of other resources are available now and they are less expensive. For a small organization, it is very difficult to sustain the costs involved in having the solution or the related fees"

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Micro Focus. I'd advise other organizations, if cost is not a problem, to consider LoadRunner, as it is the best product on the market. However, it's not cost-effective for a small company. It's much more suited for enterprises. Smaller companies should look at other options. It's a good solution within the market, but it is costly in this region. It is very high. For some it might not make sense when the cost is so high and the support is somewhat lacking. From an ease of use, installation, deployment, and multi-use tool perspective, I'd rank the solution definitely at an…
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Desil Ponnatt
Technical Leader at Valtech
Apr 6, 2019
A Very Systematic Tool Anyone Can Use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for LoadRunner is a lot of business transactions, physical scenarios, and incoming applications. We use LoadRunner for building and it is very easy to use because of its support for all of the protocols. LoadRunner is a very systematic tool for anyone to use. Even someone who is actually a first time user of LoadRunner can actually get a lot of benefit out of the tool.

• "LoadRunner is a very systematic tool for anyone to use. Even someone who is actually a first time user of LoadRunner can actually get a lot of benefit out of the tool."
  • "If they can make LoadRunner more comprehensive, it would really help."

What other advice do I have?

I would give LoadRunner around 8 out of 10 in the review, considering the fact, that I know how good the tool is. There are a few areas for improvement, the results, and the monitoring tools. Other than that, I think I'm pretty satisfied with LoadRunner.
reviewer1394802
Performance Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Aug 2, 2020
Has a good pedigree but there are strong contenders out there

What is our primary use case?

All of our installations are on-premises at the moment.

• "It has good protocol coverage."
  • "The product is not stable and reliable in the version we are currently using."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give people considering LoadRunner is that I would recommend exploring other tools first or at least in comparison. There are lots of really good open-source or even just cheaper alternatives. Depending on your use case, the other options might be much better. LoadRunner has broad protocol coverage. Sometimes you have got no choice but to go with a solution because of what it can do. But I think the days of LoadRunner being the only solution out there for this kind of testing have gone. There are some very good competitors now and where the competitor can do the job, you…
GauravArora
Lead Test Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 13, 2020
Supports live monitoring and has powerful analytics features

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using LoadRunner to perform tests on HTTP and HTTPS.

• "I think that analytics is very good and that the analytics features are very powerful."
  • "I would like to have better support for adding more users per load generator."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very mature tool that is always improving and has very good support as well. More or less, they're always trying to revolve their limitations. In order to use LoadRunner, you need specific skills. In order to use tools of this type then you need performance engineering skills. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is first to be clear about your use case and what you are trying to do. Develop and follow up on your own performance-testing strategy before implementing LoadRunner. That said, I highly recommend this product. I would rate this solution an eight out of…
Rune Midtvedt
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 29, 2019
It is very stable and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to do testing for banks and financial institutions.

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "I guess scalability becomes a problem when you use things like TruClients."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to look into the application differently. In the next version, I would like to see an easier way to create and use TruClient for development and to move it to another version. They already have this function, but it is not very user-friendly. You cannot do a correlation of things now, because it is on a higher level now. So you have to do a lot of work. My rating for this solution is nine out of ten. I've used it a lot, so I guess it's possible to make things better, but it's been around for a while, so I think it's very good.
reviewer1445541
Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Nov 8, 2020
Support many different protocols, but integration with the CICD pipeline should be easier

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to test our web application that is used for internet banking.

• "The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others."
  • "The product is pretty heavy and should be more lightweight."

What other advice do I have?

These days, testing is not a separate activity. It's more about how fast you can quickly deliver and time to market. This is a product that I can recommend, although it depends on the use case. The first question has to be one of budget because LoadRunner is not cheap. Things differ from company to company. At the same time, not all of the free tools can perform all of the functions. It is based on requirements. If they're a small company, such as a startup e-commerce company, then they might be better off implementing an open-source product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer825579
Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 27, 2019
The interface is user-friendly and it offers great loading and repair properties.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance testing and load testing.

• "The initial setup and installation of the software were very easy and straightforward."
  • "Sometimes we are not be able to click on some of the buttons due to the screen mismatching and compatibility issues."

What other advice do I have?

LoadRunner has a variety of options and different protocols that will support all types of applications categories like web application, monitor and any internal applications or desktop applications. The customization protocol also is user-friendly and if I have to rate the solution, I will give it a nine out of ten. In the next version I would like to see specific protocols when I want to do performance settings for any desktop clients.
See 8 more Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews
Download our free Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.