Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Performance Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is also known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional pricing:
  • "It is competing with other products that may cost significantly less or may be available as open-source. Because of that it is relatively expensive."
  • "The licensing fees are based on the number of users."
  • "This is not a cheap product."
  • "There is a licensing cost that is expensive."

Prashant Sarswat
Head - Testing Centre of Excellence at NIIT Technologies Limited
Very good controller and a market leader, but not cost effective for small business

What is our primary use case?

In our organization, the solution is required for the testing of the performance of applications, response time, and the utilization of resources.

• "The most useful aspect of the solution is that it provides agents in different geographic locations."
  • "The solution is very costly. The cost is very high, especially considering a lot of other resources are available now and they are less expensive. For a small organization, it is very difficult to sustain the costs involved in having the solution or the related fees"

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Micro Focus. I'd advise other organizations, if cost is not a problem, to consider LoadRunner, as it is the best product on the market. However, it's not cost-effective for a small company. It's much more suited for enterprises. Smaller companies should look at other options. It's a good solution within the market, but it is costly in this region. It is very high. For some it might not make sense when the cost is so high and the support is somewhat lacking. From an ease of use, installation, deployment, and multi-use tool perspective, I'd rank the solution definitely at an…
AR
Performance Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Has a good pedigree but there are strong contenders out there

What is our primary use case?

All of our installations are on-premises at the moment.

• "It has good protocol coverage."
  • "The product is not stable and reliable in the version we are currently using."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give people considering LoadRunner is that I would recommend exploring other tools first or at least in comparison. There are lots of really good open-source or even just cheaper alternatives. Depending on your use case, the other options might be much better. LoadRunner has broad protocol coverage. Sometimes you have got no choice but to go with a solution because of what it can do. But I think the days of LoadRunner being the only solution out there for this kind of testing have gone. There are some very good competitors now and where the competitor can do the job, you…
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GauravArora
Lead Test Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Supports live monitoring and has powerful analytics features

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using LoadRunner to perform tests on HTTP and HTTPS.

• "I think that analytics is very good and that the analytics features are very powerful."
  • "I would like to have better support for adding more users per load generator."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very mature tool that is always improving and has very good support as well. More or less, they're always trying to revolve their limitations. In order to use LoadRunner, you need specific skills. In order to use tools of this type then you need performance engineering skills. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is first to be clear about your use case and what you are trying to do. Develop and follow up on your own performance-testing strategy before implementing LoadRunner. That said, I highly recommend this product. I would rate this solution an eight out of…
RM
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It is very stable and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to do testing for banks and financial institutions.

• "The solution is quite stable."
  • "I guess scalability becomes a problem when you use things like TruClients."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to look into the application differently. In the next version, I would like to see an easier way to create and use TruClient for development and to move it to another version. They already have this function, but it is not very user-friendly. You cannot do a correlation of things now, because it is on a higher level now. So you have to do a lot of work. My rating for this solution is nine out of ten. I've used it a lot, so I guess it's possible to make things better, but it's been around for a while, so I think it's very good.
DA
Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Support many different protocols, but integration with the CICD pipeline should be easier

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to test our web application that is used for internet banking.

• "The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others."
  • "The product is pretty heavy and should be more lightweight."

What other advice do I have?

These days, testing is not a separate activity. It's more about how fast you can quickly deliver and time to market. This is a product that I can recommend, although it depends on the use case. The first question has to be one of budget because LoadRunner is not cheap. Things differ from company to company. At the same time, not all of the free tools can perform all of the functions. It is based on requirements. If they're a small company, such as a startup e-commerce company, then they might be better off implementing an open-source product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
PR
Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The interface is user-friendly and it offers great loading and repair properties.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance testing and load testing.

• "The initial setup and installation of the software were very easy and straightforward."
  • "Sometimes we are not be able to click on some of the buttons due to the screen mismatching and compatibility issues."

What other advice do I have?

LoadRunner has a variety of options and different protocols that will support all types of applications categories like web application, monitor and any internal applications or desktop applications. The customization protocol also is user-friendly and if I have to rate the solution, I will give it a nine out of ten. In the next version I would like to see specific protocols when I want to do performance settings for any desktop clients.
VG
Regional Head Customer Experience at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Supports multiple protocols, easy to install and use, and handles large workloads

What is our primary use case?

We are it using the solution mainly for the REST-based API.

• "The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable."
  • "We are going to continue to use the product in the future, I recommend this product. However, those who are looking for only REST-based on the API, I would recommend some other tool because of the cost. There are others available on the market."

What other advice do I have?

We are going to continue to use the product in the future, I recommend this product. However, those who are looking for only REST-based on the API, I would recommend some other tool because of the cost. There are others available on the market. I rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional an eight out of ten.
Arif Ahmed
Sr. QA Automation Specialist at Department of Transportation NYC
Correlation and parameterization are the key valuable features for us

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for client service applications, mostly web-based applications. There are a lot of service conversions needed in terms of Apple to Apple talking or using with a protocol. If you need what they're offering then I think LoadRunner is a good tool. And it's from HP. Primary use cases are creating code-based operations for the latest updates, and API calls if we are in corporate. I'm a QA leader and we are customers of Micro Focus LoadRunner.

• "Paramterization and correlation are important features."
  • "Licensing costs could be reduced."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you have a site that needs to be used by a lot of people or if it's for enterprise applications where consumption is high, then it's a good tool. Otherwise, if there are fewer users or not a lot of load, then I would say that other tools might be handy. If you require performance-oriented applications, then it's a good tool. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
See 4 more Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews