MIMIX Overview

MIMIX is the #15 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to Oracle GoldenGate: MIMIX vs Oracle GoldenGate

What is MIMIX?
Complete, Scalable HA/DR Protection for IBM i What's New in MIMIX Availability 8.0?Today’s business environment demands continuous availability no matter what. Thousands of companies worldwide – from small businesses to global enterprises – count on MIMIX Availability to keep their data safe and their operations running smoothly. MIMIX Availability is the trusted industry leader in IBM i high availability and disaster recovery, protecting businesses from catastrophic events, server or storage failure, human error and even downtime normally associated with routine maintenance, queries, reports or backups.

MIMIX is also known as Vision Solutions MIMIX.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

MIMIX Customers
ACG Automotive, Autoliv, Takataês Manufacturing, AMPORTS, Faurecia, Unipres, Wheeler Machinery Company, PennEngineering, Parsons Corporation, Hindustan Dorr-Oliver Ltd. India, Amway India
MIMIX Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Application Manager with 10,001+ employees
Enables custom machine real-time replication process with verification of destination

What other advice do I have?

Calculate appropriate resources for running and managing the solution after the implementation.
Technical Director at a tech services company
Provides replication stability and its audit feature is valuable

What other advice do I have?

If you want to deploy this product, do not use only simple replication. Take advantage of all the features that this product offers. Test the Role Swap (Virtual and Real) regularly, to ensure that the alternate system can take place from the production system at any time.
Find out what your peers are saying about Vision Solutions, Oracle, SAP and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: May 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS/400 Technical Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
​Data replication allows us to achieve the most strict HA requirements

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend it to all shops using iSeries for which data availability is important, and looking for an HA solution. This is a really good product. Easy to use, easy to manage, and easy to configure. You can sleep without fear every night if MIMIX takes care of your data replication.
IT Architecture & Infrastructure Program Manager Consultant
It is fairly easy to add data groups and/or files to the intended replication group

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have at least two people learn it inside and out, so replication and object errors, when they occur, can be managed.
Systems iSeries & HA administrator at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its failover capabilities and ability to have no system downtime are valuable to us, but replication errors need to be resolved.

What is most valuable?

Failover capabilities is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

No system downtime High Availability (HA)

What needs improvement?

Replication errors need to be resolved.

I've been using it since 2005.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's fine. Technical Support: It's professional.

No previous solution used.

It was quite easy.

What about

AS400 (iSeries) Senior System Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Most data discrepancies are solved automatically, but they need to fine tune the monitoring criteria to reduce false alarms.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best product on the market for enterprise level data replication. If you want to sleep at night, this is the right product for you.
iSeries System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
We were able to replicate from the live box to the backup machine in minutes without the need to use tapes, however the dashboard information is difficult to dissect to untrained users.

What other advice do I have?

Plan. Plan. Plan, especially with the network folks. There is a lot of data that goes back and forth for the synch to work. We had to work with our internet provider on several instances. I would also advise you to look closely at what really needs to be archived in semi real-time, and plan accordingly. We still used tapes for a good number of files/libraries, and only used Mimix for files that were updated constantly.
Technical Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
We use it for its high availability and data distribution, but while installation is easy, setup and configuration can be complicated.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is the best, most robust and flexible product available. Make sure you plan it out before hand – work with the developers to assess their needs as well as the business needs. This version, 7.1.x, has reached its EOL. Vision is no longer providing service packs. Version 8.0.x has some very nice enhancements. We plan to upgrade to a stable version, 8.0.10 sometime Q1 2016. We will implement it first on our sandbox, then QA then Test and finally Production, which encompasses Data Distribution and HA.
Independent IT Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The version we're using is not portal ready, but it has helped us save on manpower and cut down on process time.

What is most valuable?

It can automate back-end data processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us cut down process time and manpower.

What needs improvement?

The version we're using is not portal ready.

I've used it for about two years.

It was already set up when I joined.

It has many service packs to fix issues.

It seems to be scalable in the newer versions.

Customer Service: It's above average. Technical Support: It's above average.

Sr. System Mngt Engineer - System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
OS version compatibility needs work, but with its ability to switch system availability, we were able to perform major system maintenance on our production system.
Server Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The product allows you to replicate critical data and system objects to a target server to be used for backups and failover, but the monitoring tools could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend you use a certified consultant for the deployment.
Sr. Technical Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Remote journaling allows us to put the load on the target system as opposed to the source, but it lacks prosing support for multiple journals per data group.

What is most valuable?

The remote journaling and audit functions.

How has it helped my organization?

By implementing remote journals, we have put the load on the target system as opposed to the source.

What needs improvement?

Prosing support for multiple journals per data group would be nice.

I've used it on and off for 18 years.

No issue encountered.

Customer Service: Customer support is good but they do try to squeeze out those service dollars. Technical Support:…
IT & Comm Infrastructure Operations at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
In addition to high availability and disaster recovery, we can pre-stage sources for data warehousing. But, it needs faster remote journal entry reads in "fire mode".

What other advice do I have?

I think for monitoring IBM products, it is the best product on the market. First though, you need to understand their applications and the right point in time for business recovery points. The product has some CPD (continuous data protection), but the product is more or less for real-time data replication and HA. The second time, is the cost and implementation services, I would not advise to try it by themselves without understanding where to start from.
Business Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We can perform nightly backups of our production system without taking our production system offline, but be sure to compare prices with other solutions before choosing.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the price and what it will do for you compared to other products. There might be other products that do a similar thing, but what type of technology are they relying on? Is it efficient and here to stay? Get testimonials from others.
Systems Analyst AS/400 with 1,001-5,000 employees
It works with different data groups.

What is most valuable?

Provides two servers Easy Fast Robust

How has it helped my organization?

It's used in our new architecture, for production, HA/DR and it works with different data groups.

I used it for one year, before I was using ITHERA.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

Before we were using ITHERA. We switched because we had problems with the stability and had…
iSeries Power 7 Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm comfortable using it in High Availability (HA) setups, but system overheads need improvement.

What is most valuable?

The ease of switching is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides high degree of comfort regarding High Availability (HA).

What needs improvement?

The systems overheads need improvement.

I've used it for 12 years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

I didn't use anything prior to MIMIX.

IT Administrator at a museum or institution with 501-1,000 employees
Data replication to a High Availability system is valuable but replication of files on the IFS system can be improved

What other advice do I have?

No reservation: an enthusiastic "go for it!"
IT Administrator at a museum or institution with 501-1,000 employees
Good and expensive. Requires daily checks to ensure the replication does not have issues.
I have used MIMIX for some years now. The product is good and expensive. It requires daily checks to ensure the replication does not have issues. The software is upgraded fairly regularly, and patches for discovered bugs issued quickly. The problem is the switchover to the target system. All current operations must be quiesced and there must be no left transaction to replicate before the switch can start. In our environment, this takes approximately 20 to 25 minutes. The switch to the target system takes about 10 minutes, and the subsystems restart on the target another 15 minutes. We test this scenario 3 times a year (we wrote our own CL programs for the switchover and switchback based on Lakeview's templates). I suggest looking at this thread for more info.
Principal at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
There is no true HA solution that allows you to take a machine out of your network and continue processing
All of the vendors provide replication from a primary machine to a backup machine. The last real hands on experience and testing I did took 45 minutes to synch up a MIMIX based machine after cutting over to the backup machine. Sadly, unlike Linux or Unix you do not have real-time replication or load balanced system sharing that actually run parallel systems instead of primary & backup. This has been a huge shortcoming of OS/400 and IBM i forever. There may have been some improvement, but I've not seen them. There are some good data replication products for IBM, I like Mimix which I used. The key to my comments are the fact that this has been an area of weakness since the AS/400 was first shipped. While Mimix and other products can provide data replication between…
Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Are you using iCluster and considering moving back to MIMIX?
IBM aquired Datamirror some years ago, then in 2012 IBM sold the ex-Datamiror product portfolio (iCluster) to RocketSoftware. As far as logical replication HA solutions are concerned my impression is that the leader is Vision Solutions (who aquired Lakeview Solutions some years ago) with MIMIX both in terms of market share and in terms of solution and support quality, and in terms of being a visionary for logical replication HA solutions. Our HA consultants have had experience both with iCluster and MIMIX products and their input thus far suggests that while iCluster is a fairly good HA choice, MIMIX Availability product line is superior when it comes to ease of use, functionality, reliability, customer support and consultant network. We have quite a few customers using…
Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Vision Solutions, Oracle, SAP, and more!
Quick Links