NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Overview

What is NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS)?

NetApp AFF8000 All Flash FAS systems combine all-flash performance with unified data management from flash to disk to cloud.  Leverage the Data Fabric to move data securely across your choice of clouds—enabled by Cloud ONTAP™ and NetApp Private Storage for Cloud. Plus, you get the industry’s most efficient and comprehensive integrated data protection suite, on premises or in the cloud.

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) is also known as NetApp All Flash FAS, NetApp AFF, NetApp Flash FAS.

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Customers
Acibadem Healthcare Group, AmTrust Financial Services, Citrix Systems, DWD, Mantra Group
NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) pricing:
  • "The pricing is not a lot considering what you get and it bundles hardware and licensing."

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Reviews

SteveGrangert
Storage Engineer at Missile Defense Agency
Nov 20, 2019
Good price to performance ratio, no latency, and simple to use

What is our primary use case?

We use NetApp AFF mostly as a NAS solution, but we do some SAN with it. Basically, we're just doing file services for the most part. We're running an AFF A300 as well as a FAS8040 that is clustered together with the AFF A300. We're not allowed to use cloud models.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its simplicity. It is easy to use."
  • "I want an interface through ONTAP that look more like what it does for the E-Series with Santricity."

What other advice do I have?

One of my favorite parts of this solution is that most of the day I sit there and do nothing, watching the lights go green on unify manager, knowing that they should stay green because it indicates that it is working. That's what I look for. It works, and most of the time I don't have to do a lot with it unless somebody wants some space carved out. I've been in the storage business since 1992. I've been doing work with storage systems before there was such a thing as a storage area network (SAN) or network-attached storage (NAS). Those are buzzwords that came along about fifteen or sixteen…
Christopher Privitere
Unix Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Nov 24, 2019
We wouldn't be able to do what we do without thin provisioning

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for AFF is to host our internal file shares for all of our company's "F" drives, which is what we call them. All of our CIFS and NFS are hosted on our AFF system right now.

• "Things that have been really useful, of course, are the clustering features and being able to stay online during failovers and code upgrades; and just being able to seamlessly do all sorts of movement of data without having to disrupt end-users' ability to get to those files. And we can take advantage of new shelves, new hardware, upgrade in place. It's kind of magic when it comes to doing those sorts of things."
  • "One of the areas that the product can improve is definitely in the user interface. We don't use it for SAN, but we've looked at using it for SAN and the SAN workflows are really problematic for my admins, and they just don't like doing SAN provisioning on that app. That really needs to change if we're going to adopt it and actually consider it to be a strong competitor versus some of the other options out there."

What other advice do I have?

Don't be scared. They're a great partner. They've got a lot of options for you. They've got a lot of tools for you. Just don't be scared to look for them. You might need to do a little bit of digging; you might need to learn how the CLI works. But once you do, it's an extremely powerful thing and you can do a lot of stuff with it. It is amazing how much easier it is to manage things like file shares with a NetApp versus a traditional Windows system. It is life-changing if you are an admin who has to do it the old-fashioned way and then you come over here and see the new way. It frees you up…
Learn what your peers think about NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Michael Archuleta
Chief Information Officer at Mt. San Rafael Hospital
Video Review
Oct 21, 2019
Supported our overall business initiatives, they've done a great job with cybersecurity

What is our primary use case?

We have a pretty amazing story about using AFS. When I went into this organization, we had a 59% uptime ratio, and at the time we were looking at how to improve on efficiency, and how to bring good technology initiatives together to make this digital transformation happen. When the Affordable Care Act came out, it started mandating a lot of these health care organizations to implement an electronic medical record system. Of course, since health care has been behind the curve when it comes to technology, it was a major problem when I came into this organization that had a 59% uptime ratio. They… more »

• "Tech support has been absolutely amazing. I think on the technical aspects as well, my staff is able to get great support from the NetApp technical support resources that we have. What I love about NetApp is they have a health care division. At times, it's such an amazing thing because if we have a healthcare-related issue, there's no one better than having prior CIOs from health care organizations that NetApp has hired, and that are part of the health care team, to help out with any of those initiatives and support problems. Support has been absolutely phenomenal."
  • "The total cost of ownership has increased a little."

What other advice do I have?

I am part of the NetApp A-Team. I've been a huge advocate towards NetApp. I would say that nothing is perfect, but NetApp is leading the way when it comes to digital transformation and digital efficiencies as well. Their focus towards health care has been out of this world. I would give that specific product a nine, moving forward to almost perfect ten.
reviewer950775
Storage Architect at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 22, 2019
Good simplicity around data protection and data management and has good speed, performance, and reliability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is for production storage. We have got everything: VMware, SQL servers and file servers. It handles all of them.

• "The most valuable features of the solution are speed, performance, and reliability."
  • "Tech support is a place where there is room to improve the product experience. The response time when they are busy is not very good."

What other advice do I have?

The solution's simplicity around data protection and data management is very good. The SnapMirror and SnapVault data protection is a wonderful thing. Also using snapshots in lieu of tape or disk backups is handy. The solution simplifies our IT operations by unifying data management in an approach to staying in NAS (Network-attached Storage) environments. For example, our SAN (Storage Area Network) provides the performance. We have Brocade switches with a fiber channel connection to AFF, which matches the performance of the AFF. We also have the file services. Lots of files are serviced from…
reviewer1223547
Data Protection Engineering at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 17, 2019
Good snapshot capability and reduced data center costs through storage consolidation

What is our primary use case?

This solution provides storage for our entire company. We have a unified architecture with NAS and SAN from both NetApp ONTAP AFF clusters.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are snapshotting and cloning."
  • "The cost of this solution should be reduced."

What other advice do I have?

This is a really good solution that definitely meets our needs. It integrates well with all of the software that we're using and they have a lot of good partnerships that enable that. There are a lot of things that can bolt right in and talk to it natively, like Veeam and other applications. That can really make the product shine. I just wish that NetApp would buy Veeam. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1223544
Consulting Storage Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 14, 2019
A lot of data flexibility and mobility for moving workloads around

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for CIFS and NFS shares, e.g., Windows shares and network shares for Linux-based systems.

• "The solution’s thin provisioning has allowed us to add new applications without having to purchase additional storage. We use thin provisioning for everything. We use the deduplication compression functionality for all of our NetApps. If we weren't using thin provisioning, we'd probably have two to times more storage on our floor right now than we do today."
  • "Something I've talked to NetApp about in the past is going more to a node-based architecture, like the hyper-converged solutions that we are doing nowadays. Because the days of having to buy massive quantities of storage all at one time, have changed to being able to grow in smaller increments from a budgetary standpoint. This change would be great for our business. This is what my leadership would like to see in a lot of things that they purchase now. I would like to see that architecture continue to evolve in that clustered environment."

What other advice do I have?

When you are evaluating solutions: * What are your goals? * What are your priorities? You will be looking at things, like cloud, automation, and simplicity, regardless of how big you are. The NetApp platform gives you all of these things in a single operating system, regardless of where you deploy. The solution has freed us from worrying about storage as a limiting factor. I'm very confident that the NetApp platform will do what they say it's going to do. It's very reliable. I know that if there is an issue, I can quickly move that data wherever I need to move it with almost no downtime. It…
FelmonKahissay
System Administrator at Bell Canada
Nov 20, 2019
Offers dedupe, compression, compaction, and the flexibility to offload your cold data to StorageGRID

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are leveraging AFF for our VMware environment solution. So, we use it as a storage for our customers and are leveraging it to provide a faster storage solution for VMware customers. We are using it for block level based only storage, as of today.

• "AFF has opened our eyes in a different light of how storage value works. In the past, we looked at it more as just a container where we could just dump our customer dBms and let the customers use it in terms of efficiency. Today, to be able to replicate that data to a different location, use that data to recover your environment or be able to have the flexibility with the solution and data. These are things which piqued our interest. It's something that we're willing to provide as a solution to our customers."
  • "Customer service is one area of the product line where I would love to see improvement. I have had several vendor experiences with NetApp where I faced challenges in the initial call trying to navigate the requirements of the service level expectation. Their response could be better improved. However, the final result is great. It is just the initial support level where improvement would help to effectively solve problems."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product as a 10 (out of 10), but the whole package including the support would be a nine (out of 10). Cold data tiering to cloud is something that we're looking at today. Right now, we're more focused on StorageGRID and being able to do everything on-prem. However, we are looking at Cloud Volumes to leverage for the immediate term use case and how we could leverage a quick turnaround to the market for our customers' needs.
reviewer1223526
Senior Network Technical Developer and Support Expert at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 22, 2019
Improved performance of backup and restore, with good data protection features

What is our primary use case?

NetApp AFF is used to store all of our data. We're a full Epic shop, and we 're running Epic on all of our AFFs. We also run Caché, Clarity Business Objects, and we love the SnapMirror technologies.

• "We are using the AQoS operating system, which allows us to get a lot more out of our AFF systems."
  • "The quality of technical support has dwindled over time and needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We are looking at implementing SnapCenter, which gives us one pane of glass to utilize snapshots in different ways, especially to protect our databases. I used to work on EMC, and particularly, the VNX product. They had storage tiering then, and when I came onboard to my new company, they ran 7-Mode and didn't have a lot of storage tiering. It was kind of interesting to see NetApp's transition to storage tiering, with cDOT, and I really liked that transition. So, my experience overall with NetApp has been great and the product is really great. I think some of the advertisements for some of the…
See 35 more NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Reviews