Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Darktrace: Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention vs Darktrace

What is Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention?

Threats do not discriminate between application delivery vectors, requiring an approach that has full visibility into all application traffic, including SSL encrypted content, with full user context. Threat Prevention leverages the visibility of our next-generation firewall to inspect all traffic, automatically preventing known threats, regardless of port, protocol or SSL encryption.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Customers

University of Arkansas, JBG SMITH, SkiStar AB, TRI-AD, Temple University, Telkom Indonesia

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention pricing:
  • "If you want to have all of the good features then you have to pay extra for licensing."
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower."
  • "It is an expensive solution and I would like to see a drop in price."
  • "The pricing could be lower."

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Reviews

MV
Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Easy to install, use, and manage, with extended trial-license options available

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the security of our organization. It protects the LAN and WAN traffic. We have two boxes that have this solution for threat prevention. Some of our servers also have Palo Alto agents installed on them. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable features are the simplicity, transparency, and overall ease of management."
  • "The price of licenses should be lowered to make it less costly to scale our solution."

What other advice do I have?

Security in business is an important issue. There is a difference between the quote and the end price of the end product. Some vendors are impressed with the numbers they see on paper, then they start to use it and compare it and assess the ratio between the quote, security, and final price of the end product. It is important to consider the people who will maintain the solution. For example, if you don't have a large team in your organization, then one person is tasked with several duties, as opposed to having several departments with equal responsibilities. These are all things to consider…
SA
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A scalable, stable solution that has effective suspicious IP protection

• "With the IP address flag, I was able to see that I was being hacked. The moment there was an interaction between somebody on my network and that IP, the solution was able to flag it, and we were able to protect ourselves."
  • "Sometimes when you want to group a set of ports, and communicate with Palo Alto, you cannot group TCP and UDP ports together. This needs to be adjusted."

What other advice do I have?

We use both the cloud and on-premises deployment models. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Darktrace, Trend Micro and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RS
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Easy to configure and easy to operate with great stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as a gateway.

• "For those who want a next-gen firewall that's easy to configure and easy to operate, I think you should go for Palo Alto."
  • "The documentation needs to be improved. I need better information about how to configure it and what the best practices are."

What other advice do I have?

For those who want a next-gen firewall that's easy to configure and easy to operate, I think you should go for Palo Alto. Palo Alto is a bit pricy compared to different models. Customers try to compare the price between other solutions, like Fortinet, Cisco, and Checkpoint. In the next release, I would like for Palo Alto to work on email protection. I would rate it a ten out of ten.
Reviewer23
IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
The self-updating and self-alerting systems require very little management overhead

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for general user security and protection. In our organization, there are around 250 users, using this solution.

• "Edge protection is a valuable feature."
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower. In comparison with other solutions, I believe they're quite competitive."

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use this solution, you should have a professional set it up for you. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. They're cutting edge. They're one of the leaders in the industry, and they're continuously improving their product.
GG
Network Security administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
User-friendly, offers interesting features, has good URL filtering, and good threat prevention

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for this solution is content fileting and threat prevention.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's: User-friendly  Has interesting features  URL filtering  Threat prevention.

What needs improvement?

We use four Palo Alto solutions in stand-alone mode and but it's hard to use when I use it in Panorama. Palo Alto's maintenance needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

Palo Alto is quite stable. It's better than Cisco. We've had many issues with Cisco and experienced many bugs.

We've contacted customer support. I…
TS
Managing Director at Teceze
MSP
The malware protection feature saves us a lot of time

• "I find the malware protection very handy."
  • "I think they can use some improvement on FID."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I rate this solution a nine. In the next version, I would like to see a drop in price and more stability.
GG
Has an easy deployment and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We are in financial environment so we put it on premises and in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Everything has been okay with the solution. We are using all of the features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, the only thing I don't like is the support.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention for eight years.

Palo Alto is very stable.

It is scalable. We haven't confronted any issues.

The deployment is easy.

Licensing is yearly-based. The pricing is…
M.
Team Lead at pgascom
A scalable and stable solution with a good interface and easily manageable features

What needs improvement?

The resource consumption should be addressed. The technology firewall anomaly network could stand improvement.  The pricing could be better.

We are currently using Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention.

Our network and the stability are good. Authentication of the location is stable. Nothing is changed.

The solution is scalable.

The pricing could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I like the solution's interface. The features are very easy to manage. The firewall is responsible for a host of tasks, as we use it for the monitoring…
Download our free Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Darktrace, Trend Micro, and more!