Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Overview

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Darktrace: Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention vs Darktrace

What is Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention?

Threats do not discriminate between application delivery vectors, requiring an approach that has full visibility into all application traffic, including SSL encrypted content, with full user context. Threat Prevention leverages the visibility of our next-generation firewall to inspect all traffic, automatically preventing known threats, regardless of port, protocol or SSL encryption.

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Customers

University of Arkansas, JBG SMITH, SkiStar AB, TRI-AD, Temple University, Telkom Indonesia

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention pricing:
  • "The pricing and the licensing are pretty competitive at this stage. As a reseller, I would like to see the price come down a little bit so I can compete better against other firewalls because we do that all the time."
  • "If you want to have all of the good features then you have to pay extra for licensing."
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower."

Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Reviews

reviewer725523
General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Feb 11, 2019
Enables us to control the amount of bandwidth an application is allowed to consume and is extremely scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers of this solution so we facilitate technical services to our clients. We maintain Palo Alto for what we are responsible for maintaining, on the latest version of the software.

• "It's a monster, it's got so many beautiful features. We do deal with other firewalls and we've got a better idea of what other firewalls' capabilities are, any comparison with the Palo Alto I liked the quality of service on the applications that you can control the amount of bandwidth an application is allowed to consume. The best feature is the quality of the application quality of service."
  • "In Africa, the technical support is probably not as good as in Europe and the USA because it's a specific premium support, partner-enabled premium support and all of that. But it's really good, I don't really have any complaints, it's fairly good. I'll give them 80%."

What other advice do I have?

It's a brilliant product, we periodically look at several other firewalls to stay on top of their capabilities and so on, and it's the best bang for your buck that you can get. Some of the other firewalls are starting to catch up. I implemented a baby, which could be regarded as a baby Palo Alto firewall. We pushed through in a single day with everything switched on, all the capabilities switched on, we pushed through 4.3 terabytes of data per day. Which is phenomenal for such a baby, little firewall, with all the capabilities switched on, it's absolutely mind-boggling that it handled that…
MaksimVedernikov
Network Administrator at SA Tallinna Lasteghaigla
Sep 30, 2019
Easy to install, use, and manage, with extended trial-license options available

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the security of our organization. It protects the LAN and WAN traffic. We have two boxes that have this solution for threat prevention. Some of our servers also have Palo Alto agents installed on them. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable features are the simplicity, transparency, and overall ease of management."
  • "The price of licenses should be lowered to make it less costly to scale our solution."

What other advice do I have?

Security in business is an important issue. There is a difference between the quote and the end price of the end product. Some vendors are impressed with the numbers they see on paper, then they start to use it and compare it and assess the ratio between the quote, security, and final price of the end product. It is important to consider the people who will maintain the solution. For example, if you don't have a large team in your organization, then one person is tasked with several duties, as opposed to having several departments with equal responsibilities. These are all things to consider…
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,249 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SHAIKAHMED
Head Of Information Security at SAUDI PARAMOUNT COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Apr 11, 2019
Total Solution for Content Filtering & Intelligent Firewalls

What is our primary use case?

For a total overall solution, Palo Alto Threat Prevention can satisfy most of your needs as a company. Right now, we are implementing Cisco ASA and renewing our Palo Alto license.

• "Most of the features of Palo Alto Threat Prevention are alright. I recommend features like content filtering, IP address, & intelligent firewalls. The reporting feature is very good."
  • "Generally, to deploy it will take some downtime, about a day."

What other advice do I have?

If you are a first time user, you should be pretty pleased with it. I would rate Palo Alto Threat Prevention a nine out of ten.
Samuel-Akindele
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 8, 2019
A scalable, stable solution that has effective suspicious IP protection

• "With the IP address flag, I was able to see that I was being hacked. The moment there was an interaction between somebody on my network and that IP, the solution was able to flag it, and we were able to protect ourselves."
  • "Sometimes when you want to group a set of ports, and communicate with Palo Alto, you cannot group TCP and UDP ports together. This needs to be adjusted."

What other advice do I have?

We use both the cloud and on-premises deployment models. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1298478
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Mar 31, 2020
Easy to configure and easy to operate with great stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as a gateway.

• "For those who want a next-gen firewall that's easy to configure and easy to operate, I think you should go for Palo Alto."
  • "The documentation needs to be improved. I need better information about how to configure it and what the best practices are."

What other advice do I have?

For those who want a next-gen firewall that's easy to configure and easy to operate, I think you should go for Palo Alto. Palo Alto is a bit pricy compared to different models. Customers try to compare the price between other solutions, like Fortinet, Cisco, and Checkpoint. In the next release, I would like for Palo Alto to work on email protection. I would rate it a ten out of ten.
Vishal Goorye
Network Security Engineer at Mauritius Telecom
Sep 8, 2019
Excellent application control and vulnerability protection but it's a very expensive solution

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for application control and encryption.

• "The application control and vulnerability protection are the most valuable features."
  • "The solution needs to improve its local technical support services. There is no premium support offered in our market."

What other advice do I have?

We work with the public and private cloud as well as the on-premises deployment models. Our role is to implement security solutions at our customer's premises. The deployment depends on the infrastructure. I would rate the solution seven out of ten. As a next-generation IPS, it's a very good firewall. I would recommend it.
Reviewer23
IT Infrastructure Manager at Jonah Energy
Sep 30, 2020
The self-updating and self-alerting systems require very little management overhead

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for general user security and protection. In our organization, there are around 250 users, using this solution.

• "Edge protection is a valuable feature."
  • "The pricing has improved with the newer generation of their Firewalls, but the price could always be lower. In comparison with other solutions, I believe they're quite competitive."

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use this solution, you should have a professional set it up for you. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. They're cutting edge. They're one of the leaders in the industry, and they're continuously improving their product.
reviewer810594
Information Security Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 11, 2019
Valuable next generation firewall features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Palo Alto Threat Prevention is related to the placement of files in a laboratory test environment. We use Palo Alto Threat Prevention for network testing.

How has it helped my organization?

I can't give an example of how Palo Alto has improved our organization because we are using this product in test networks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Palo Alto Threat Prevention for our company is the next generation firewall.

What needs improvement?

The organization mail security solutions could be improved. There is no mail security solution available.

More than five years.

Palo Alto Threat Prevention is…
See 4 more Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Reviews
Download our free Palo Alto Networks Threat Prevention Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.