Rohde & Schwarz Oscilloscopes Overview

What is Rohde & Schwarz Oscilloscopes?

Oscilloscope innovation that delivers measurement confidence. Excellent signal fidelity, high acquisition rate, an innovative trigger system and a clever user interface - that’s what you get with Rohde & Schwarz, a leading manufacturer of oscilloscopes. Match your needs with the right oscilloscope platform, probing options and software applications. From general purpose test to solutions for specific industry standards, we have you covered.

Rohde & Schwarz Oscilloscopes is also known as RT Series.

Rohde & Schwarz Oscilloscopes Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Staff Transceiver Engineer at Xilinx, Inc.

What is our primary use case?

We are using their VNA for our RFSoC PCB design guideline and EVBs. The application targets on 5G and high speed transceiver applications. We care much about the noise floor and crosstalk. With this machine, it's easier for us to debug or clarify where the noise source could be because of its accuracy.

• "The most valuable features are its wide bandwidth and 8 ports."
  • "The depth the the user GUI could be improved. It is a bit deep for new users. During the first two weeks we spent a lot of time finding the tabs."
AM
Power Integrity Lead at Elton Designs

What is our primary use case?

I'm very much in the power integrity field. I spend a lot of time working for a major semi-conductor manufacturer doing silicon validation. Our end product has to pass all the various FCC compliance tests, which is sort of the field of expertise that I have. For a customer to build a product with a switching mode power supply in it and be able to provide some degree of certification or comfort, they have to pass the compliance test which permits them to sell into the marketplace. That has always been an emphasis of mine, when I'm doing application engineering for a semiconductor company… more »

• "The ability to have both the time domain and frequency domain, where the frequency domain is a very broad spectral plot, is extremely valuable."
  • "The Rohde & Schwarz user interface is very oriented towards drop and drag functions on the screen. Some of those are just not obvious how to use. You have to have somebody get you over the hump."

What other advice do I have?

It is a remarkable scope. It is hard to get used to compared to other oscilloscopes because of the cryptic user interface. However, once you get over that, it's got a lot of power. We are not using this product to support connected devices, e.g., IoT development, nor are we planning to going forward. Trial the models. Use them and see what the limits are that you can get away with using the highest-end gear, and also if you will need to step back to a lower-end product, like RIGOL. In the case of the Rohde & Schwarz, with the number of equivalent screen updates that it does per second,you can…
RM
Hardware Engineer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to measure high-speed and low-speed signals

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the VNA for basic measurements, debugging, and troubleshooting in the automotive industry. The application space that we are using the solution to target is all types applications: high-speed digital, high-speed serial, channel evaluation, cables, measuring cables, and measuring connectors. I am measuring high-speed and low-speed signals.

• "The product is quite reliable and straightforward to use. Typically, there are no households that we have to set up."
  • "I'm against the Windows-based tools. Now everybody is running scopes, VNAs, and all their tools based on Windows. I don't want to see that in the future."

What other advice do I have?

Shop around. Get a loaner from all of the options. Purchase the one which fits best for you. It doesn't take that long to get acclimated to the solution, unless you have something difficult. Everything is mostly available online. I don't think I even contacted support. We have use it mostly with supported calibration tools (for support devices).
EW
Signal Integrity Engineer at Starkey Hearing Technologies
It has a very low noise floor. It will take time to learn because of the user interface.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is audio measurements, as well as current measurements. We use the UPV Audio Analyzer mostly, not the scope. We use Bluetooth in our product. We are measuring currents for enabling Bluetooth.

• "It has a very low noise floor."
  • "Sometimes, it's difficult to find menus on the user interface."

What other advice do I have?

It provides all the functionality we need. It will take time to learn due to the user interface.
MZ
CEO at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
It is easy to connect with, accurate, reliable, and hardly fails

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is telecom. I use a couple of their models. The application space that we are using the solution to target is 5G and another proprietary connectivity solution for digital health and autonomous driving. Essentially, we measure the signal to noise issue, various EVM, and other wireless performance.

• "It is easy to connect with, accurate, reliable, and hardly fails."
  • "They could use an RDA interface."

What other advice do I have?

It has good performance, reliability, and support, but it is too expensive. Compare to other business models. As time passes, the learning curve gets shorter. They're becoming better. The technology requirements are increasing because of evolving standards. While they're coming along, I expect them to be there, as they have always been there. We are not using this product to connect with support connected devices, but it will be going forward for devices, like IoT development.
MA
HW Eng. at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Accurate, very easy to operate, and user-friendly, it enabled my EMC/EMI testing

What is our primary use case?

I used it for board design, EMC/EMI measurements, EMC/EMI testing, and for RF measurements. I used it to test some parameters in phased array antennas, to do testing of far fields. I was measuring signals up to 15 gigahertz, and for EMI testing according to the FCC. I used it to support connected devices for IoT development. I used the full bandwidth of the product.

• "The characterization of RF channels was helpful... The user interface was very simple to operate and there were a lot of tutorials."

What other advice do I have?

If your company has enough money and you are not a small startup or a medium startup, purchase Rohde & Schwarz. But, of course, a small company or small startups that are just at the start, this is not a good solution for you. There wasn't really a learning curve, because the principles are basic things that other engineers could explain to us very quickly. But if we had to do out-of-the-ordinary things, we always had references on the internet or contact with Rohde & Schwarz people in Israel. I would rate the product at nine out of ten, because it's very accurate, very easy to operate, very…
    LW
    Firmware Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The user interface is more than what we expected. It's easy and fast to use.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is debugging, prototyping, and validating the check site and design, e.g., the circuitry and hosts. We have several testing stages to go through before production. We have a lot of different models that we are using in the lab. We work with the highest view scopes and protocol analyzers, like PCIe, SAS, and SATA. We use them a lot. The PCIe analyzers, like PAM, have full size testing equipment in our labs. We are the server producers. We touch every corner: high-tech. electronic, electrical, down to the mechanical, materials, and performance. We provide the backbone to… more »

• "The user interface is pretty good. Right now, it is more than what we expected. It's easy and fast to use."
    • "We would like to have autotracking and auto error tracking for regression testing. We would like to know what error happened, when it happened, and during what scenario (such as setup), because right now we have to manually look at when it happened."

What other advice do I have?

They are a top tier product. We use it to guarantee our top tier product. That is why we purchased it. The user interface is pretty good. Right now, it is more what we had expected. It's easy and fast to use. There is no learning curve. We have an evolution that is following the process, such as following companies producing in test equipment. We followed their seminar rapidly. We know their roadmap and they know our roadmap, so we have very synchronized very well, which is good.
    Sr Electrical Engineer at TVH Americas
    Leaderboard
    Repeatable results help me know what to fix, how much to fix, and when to stop

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the EMC Receiver for compliance testing, EMC. For us, the product is targeting embedded systems, predominantly, and I have multiple antennas on the same board: Cell mode, GPS, Bluetooth. Keeping all those separate and identifying them is a major part of it. We are also using this product to support connected devices for IoT development. We utilize the full bandwidth.

• "The most valuable features are the accuracy and repeatability."
    • "In the next release, I would like to see report generation. It would make it a lot easier to refer back to and, when doing final testing, seeing what went on during the pre-test would help."

What other advice do I have?

Save up your money and get one. It's worth it. There was most definitely a learning curve. On any instrument there's a learning curve. It took me a good two weeks. Our solution is field-upgradable but I'm not sure yet how we'll take advantage of that. I'd give it an eight out of ten. Again, the display, the presentation of the data, as well as repeatability and accuracy, are what count.
    DT
    User at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Serial data analyzers and jitter measurements are free, but unit should be smaller, portable

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring and measuring signals in telecom systems. We are measuring anything from low-speed to high-speed and we are usually using the whole bandwidth of the product.

• "Most of the features offered are free, like serial data analyzers or jitter measurements."
    • "The size of the unit is too big, too heavy. It has to be made more portable and smaller."

What other advice do I have?

When you're used to a product, go with the same product or vendor, unless the price of another is really cheap. There's a definite learning curve. I'm used to Tek or Agilent. I would rate this product at seven out of ten because there's a learning curve that's involved in using the product.
    AS
    Hardware Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    It has a low noise floor, but the user interface could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use it for phase noise analysis.

• "The noise floor for reference clocks is pretty low, so this instrument is able to measure it where others cannot."
    • "The noise sensitivity: It has a low noise floor."
    • "The user interface could be improved, e.g., the documentation on the menus. I have to open a separate document to figure out the functionality sometimes."

What other advice do I have?

Understand the features that it has. It is very unclear if you first use the product, like what exactly every button is doing. It was not that big of a learning curve. It took maybe a week. It was pretty easy. The application space that this solution targets is high-speed serials.
    Hardware Engineer at Cisco Systems, Inc.

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for spectrum analysis, most frequency domain stuff, and phase noise measurements.

• "It is a more efficient, easier way to do measurements."
    • "The instrument has a wide bandwidth. You can sweep across a wide range of frequencies."
    • "It would be good if they would try to automate most things because it has more pressing buttons and repetitive work. If there were automation scripts that they could provide, that would improve things."

What other advice do I have?

The product is good and efficient in terms of the measurements, but it is pretty repetitive to use. The application base that the solution is targeting is a high-speed serial technology. We measure phase noise. The spectrum analyzer that we're using is an important criteria to characterize the things that we want. There is definitely a learning curve. To get used to the system, it will probably be two or three days. It's not much time. It's pretty easy, but most of the time, you have to repeat everything. The user interface is pretty good. The menu functions are available right on the screen…
    DK
    Design Engineer at Xilinx, Inc.
    MSP
    This product makes my life easier, results better, and speeds up my work

What is our primary use case?

We use it to measure power supply noise. We are using a couple of types of oscilloscopes from the RTO®2000 product line. We use the spectrum analyzer and signal source analyzer.

• "I have been able to do quality measurements that I have been unable to achieve with the equipment from some other vendors."
    • "There was a learning curve. Their use interface and the way that their products work are not intuitive to somebody who switches from other vendors."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone to seriously consider using Rhode & Schwarz's equipment, especially if they have similar needs to mine. Most of the time, I'm not measuring signals, I'm measuring noise. I'm measuring noise on the power supply. This is important because they are multiple components squeezing through a single chip, so the power supply is always stressed. They can interact and talk to each other, so you want to make sure that doesn't happen. I use the full bandwidth of this solution.