Thycotic Secret Server Overview

Thycotic Secret Server is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Password Managers. It is most often compared to CyberArk PAS: Thycotic Secret Server vs CyberArk PAS

What is Thycotic Secret Server?

Secret Server is a fully-featured Privileged Access Management (PAM) solution available both on premise and in the cloud. It empowers security and IT ops teams to secure and manage all types of privileged accounts and offers the fastest time to value of any PAM solution.

Thycotic Secret Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Thycotic Secret Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

Thycotic Secret Server Customers

Secure-24, University of San Diego, International Rescue Committee, San Francisco Ballet, Perkins Coie, University of San Diego, D.S.S. Limited, Turbo's Hoet, Eclipse Computing, Cathay Bank, Stellarise, J&R Consulting

Thycotic Secret Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Thycotic Secret Server pricing:
  • "Pricing is comparable to competing products."
  • "Secret Server is expensive when compared to the cost to some alternatives."
  • "There are different plans and additional licensing costs that can be instituted for add-ons."
  • "Its price is okay. We don't compete on pricing. We seldom use price to win over our competitors. We prefer it this way because if we can sustain the price, we make more margin as well. We don't want the price to go down to the bottom where despite the win, there's no margin at all."
  • "The price of this solution is good."
  • "The pricing is standard in this business and we have no complaints about it."

Thycotic Secret Server Reviews

Tor Nordhagen
Executive Director at Semaphore
Mar 19, 2020
Excellent access management that can serve very large networks

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing access for user groups and individuals in a very large environment.

• "The GUI interface is well-designed and user-friendly."
  • "This product is excellent in every way except minor details in handling extremely large environments."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Thycotic as probably a nine. That is only because I have to rank them slightly lower after we decided to make the switch to CyberArk, and replacing a product that is a ten would not make a lot of sense. So a nine-out-of-ten it is. Thycotic is a product that is so friendly that it can be used by nearly anyone and everyone, and that is a good place to be. As for the limitations in a very large environment, Thycotic could invest in making changes in the product to handle structuring in a segmented way. It would be…
TS
reviewer1284300
Pre Sales/Technical Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Feb 19, 2020
Good user interface and session monitoring and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for PRAM management, privileged access management, and other similar tasks as well. We submit credentials and replicate and post them directly behind the scenes. There's also some session monitoring and issue recording, etc. that we handle.

• "The user interface is quite good. It's very straightforward."
  • "There could be tweaks here and there. For example, instead of going to one main function to do this and another main function to do that, the solution could remap the user interface so that a person only has to go through one function. The way that function branches off should make a bit more sense."

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of hands-on experience with the solution and I present it to customers and do all the POCs for them. I'd recommend the solution and advise others to look at cloud options, as most companies are moving to the cloud anyway right now. It's flexible, so users can deploy it both on-prem or on the cloud. There are lots of great custom features and network monitoring capabilities. You can also patch the privileged behavior and it will, on the fly, give you nice digital printouts with privileged behavior also. If your system admin or one of your admins suddenly acts strangely, even at 2…
Learn what your peers think about Thycotic Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
474,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JK
reviewer1386936
DevOps Lead at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 7, 2020
It performs its basic use case with no downtime but its API is no good

What is our primary use case?

The most common use case will be just for keeping personal passwords. There are other things that we use if for, but that is the most common use case.

• "It is able to manage storage and use of personal passwords."
  • "There has been no downtime this year."
  • "The API is no good."
  • "It is expensive compared to other solutions in this category and for what it does."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this product. I would not because the basic functionality is okay, but we need some API access to use KPI (Key Performance Indicator) properly. We also need to automate some stuff using this secure vault. Attempting to do that is almost impossible because of the low quality of the API. Me, speaking as a lead DevOps, I would not recommend it for this office. It is not the best choice for what we need. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product differently depending on what level or type of user is using the product…
FabioPericoli
Director / Engineer at Provincia
Jan 19, 2020
Monolithic software that is easy to use but the documentation is insufficient

What is our primary use case?

I'm a director/engineer and we partnered with the company. Our primary use case was for a project that we followed from an administrator point of view, not the end-user point of view. My responsibility was to manage the migration-related to the project, installing and configuring the infrastructure, creating policies and so on. Technically speaking, it was at a high level. All of my clients are enterprise companies.

• "Ease of use because of its monolithic software."
  • "Documentation could be improved if they were to include more about connectors. There is not enough documentation."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would recommend the product. It's very good and is cheaper than CyberArk. It's something that a team leader or project manager would take into consideration because even the cost of the license is something to keep in mind when planning a project. It really depends on the company's requirements.
ML
reviewer1367163
VP - Enterprise Solutions at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Oct 7, 2020
Its ease of integration and the use of power shells are really attractive features

• "I have found the password management and the secret management features to be the most valuable. Our customers find its ease of integration and the use of power shells really attractive."
  • "We always ask for partner enablement, which is more like a soft requirement rather than a product requirement. It would be great if they can provide us deeper knowledge of their products for integration."

What other advice do I have?

Before suggesting or implementing a solution, getting the customer requirements is the most important, for example, whether they have an isolated site or multiple sites and whether the bandwidth between sites is sufficient. This solution is for big and medium-to-big enterprises. Small enterprises won't require Thycotic Secret Server because you need a certain number of administrators, at least 10, and enough secrets to justify it. I don't think small enterprises can afford it. It will be great if they can scale down the cloud version, in terms of the pricing and other things, to accommodate…
CS
reviewer1236738
Assistant Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Feb 14, 2020
Good session monitoring and reporting capability, but more online training sessions should be available

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. It is used for privileged access management for networks, servers, applications, databases, and more.

• "The most valuable feature is session monitoring."
  • "Having more detailed reporting would improve this solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first understand their requirements and then define the scope before implementing it. The reason is that once deployed, there is a lot of integration into the existing environment. This is a product that I would recommend. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
YP
reviewer1384200
Threat Protection Architect at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 6, 2020
A good user interface, helpful support, and it is quite scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for password cycling.

• "What I like best about this product is the interface."
  • "I think that the main interface should integrate better with non-standard applications and clients, to connect with other systems."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to have full management support and to do good internal marketing so that the solution is accepted by everyone. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
BG
Bohumil Glac
Analytické a bezpečnostní nástroje IBM at ITS
Aug 5, 2019
Securely manages accounts and provides detailed reporting to facilitate compliance

What is our primary use case?

This solution provides us with increased security when working with privileged accounts. It has well-arranged and detailed logging of privileged accounts. It offers the possibility of secure administration of hardware devices, as well as Linux systems administration from a Windows environment.

• "It offers the possibility of secure administration of hardware devices, as well as Linux systems administration from a Windows environment."
  • "I would like to see the shadowing of ongoing terminal sessions (Remote Desktop Mirroring)."
See 1 more Thycotic Secret Server Reviews
Download our free Thycotic Secret Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.