WatchGuard Application Control Overview

What is WatchGuard Application Control?

Organizations of all sizes rely on various applications for daily business operations, but how do you ensure only sanctioned applications are being used on your network? With WatchGuard Application Control, you have the power to limit application usage, and keep unproductive, inappropriate, and dangerous applications off your network.

WatchGuard Application Control Buyer's Guide

Download the WatchGuard Application Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

WatchGuard Application Control Customers
Chester School District, Kensington Close Hotel
WatchGuard Application Control Video

WatchGuard Application Control Reviews

RainerAlbrecht
General Manager at Gemakom
Oct 28, 2019
Easy control for both site access and traffic management

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is traffic management. When the system recognizes that we are using something like VoIP, Skype, or Cisco Video Conference, then one can adjust the bandwidth. For example, we have it set so that VoIP has a limit of 120Kbps (Kilobits per second).

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is traffic management."
  • "There is no message displayed for the user on the desktop informing them that access to a web page has been blocked by Application Control."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that for mid-size companies of say one hundred users, you should choose different configurations. For example, Application Control group one, group two, group three. It could be a management group with more bandwidth and has fewer restrictions. Then ordinary users have more restrictions so you can give them a different configuration. You can specify the levels of restrictions, and in what categories. I feel this is something that is very important. The only dynamic is increasing categories. If a department calls and says that they cannot access a particular webiste then theā€¦
reviewer1346640
CIO at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
May 22, 2020
Feature rich, easy to manage, and the category blocking is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We were primarily using WatchGuard to control applications that were trying to access offsite network locations. I am no longer using this solution because it was in my previous job.

• "The most valuable feature is the category control."
  • "There should be more reports available on different subjects."

What other advice do I have?

For what we needed, WatchGuard was fine and generally covered our needs. It is easy to maintain and it is a product that I recommend. That said, there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Untangle and others in Application Control. Updated: January 2021.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1024569
Systems integrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 23, 2019
A very good solution with great overall features, excellent stability, and a good pricing model

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protection.

• "The solution is very stable. We've never had any problems with stability. Once a year we do a reboot just as a precaution. The solution never stops running otherwise."
  • "The solution needs to improve the interface. I'm not able to easily find things using it."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. It's a great product. I have the capability to have control over multiple devices and play with it before putting it into live mode. For others, I would suggest they just make sure they have at least played with the solution for a few days so they know all the ins and outs of the product before putting it live themselves. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
Scott Eastman
Project Consultant at SysGroup PLC
MSP
May 17, 2020
It does the job of what it says it does, we set it to what we want it to block and then it blocks it

What is our primary use case?

We use it internally and we are an MSP for lots of other companies that use it as well. Our primary use case is to block applications.

• "It does the job of what it says it does. We set it to what we want it to block and then it blocks it."
  • "They could expand the amount of applications that are on the list, but it's pretty intensive anyway, so it's pretty good."

What other advice do I have?

WatchGuard does what it says it does. Definitely use it. If you want to block applications, then definitely use it. I would rate it an eight out of ten. There's going to be newer apps that are probably not going to be blocked straight away, but then they are in time, so it's not really an issue.
Product Categories
Application Control
Download our free Application Control Report and find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, Untangle, and more!