WhereScape RED Overview
What is WhereScape RED?
WhereScape is data warehouse software that automates the Data Warehouse lifecycle. From implementation to maintenance, WhereScape will ensure your data warehouse projects are completed up to 5x faster than manual coding.
Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021
WhereScape RED Customers
British American Tobacco, Cornell University, Allianz Benelux, Finnair, Solarwinds and many more.
Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Software Developer at HealthRIGHT 360
May 31, 2018
Generates needed reporting without requiring a large team of developers to manually code
What is our primary use case?ETL processing in SQL Server into structures which are suitable for supporting business reporting needs. Automation of the importing and processing work.
Pros and Cons
- "WhereScape's deployment package is a fantastic feature. The application allows for selecting specific objects that you would like to deploy from one environment to another rather than deploying the entire database."
- "WhereScape RED has improved our business's ability to generate needed reporting without requiring a large team of developers to manually code all of the necessary plumbing."
- "The scheduled jobs which are run by the WhereScape scheduler seem to be a strangely separate animal. Unlike all other WhereScape objects, jobs cannot be added to WhereScape projects. Also, unlike all other objects, jobs also cannot be deleted using a WhereScape deployment application."
May 31, 2018
Generates comprehensive documentation and regenerates it as quickly as things changes
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case is to extract data from multiple heterogeneous data sources, stage and transform data as the business requires, and load the results into our enterprise data warehouse.
Pros and Cons
- "Their support staff are very knowledgeable, courteous, and professional. I feel their support staff go above and beyond to assure their customers are satisfied."
- "RED has provided us the ability to integrate, stage, and transform data from diverse sources into an enterprise-grade data warehouse which meets the needs of my organization, but it also enables us to easily and quickly make ETL or DW changes."
- "RED generates comprehensive documentation and regenerates it as quickly as things changes, but it also provides impact documentation."
- "Jobs cannot be deleted via the deployment package. When deploying from dev to QA or production, a job has to be retired. The job has to be manually removed from the target environment."
Find out what your peers are saying about WhereScape, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director, Corporate Systems with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 29, 2018
Data transformations and rollups are easy to accomplish
What is our primary use case?Quickly develops a data warehouse for our organization with documentation and can track back/forward features.
Pros and Cons
- "Data transformations and rollups are easy to accomplish."
- "Quickly develops a data warehouse for our organization with documentation and can track back/forward features."
- "The ability to execute SSIS projects within WhereScape would be nice because we have a lot of packages that are too cumbersome to recreate."
- "They need a more robust support center. It has been a bit difficult to find solutions to problems that are out-of-the-box."
Sr. Technical Consultant/Architect with 11-50 employees
Jan 23, 2018
A fantastically, robust DW tool that will make you at least 10 times faster in producing a DW
What is our primary use case?Producing data warehousing solutions quickly with this DW automation tool. You can generate DWs in many types of formats. We prefer Kimball architected data warehouses.
Pros and Cons
- "This is a fantastically robust DW tool that will make you at least 10 times faster in producing a DW."
- "It has a built-in automatic scheduling environment."
- "Naturally produces a way to easily debug your DW data solutions."
- "Support is absolutely excellent, efficient, and timely."
- "It could use a tool to diagnose what is missing from the environment for WhereScape to install successfully."
- "Improve the object renaming ability (it works, but it could be more automated)."
Data Architect at World Vision
Real UserTop 5Popular
Dec 29, 2017
Significant architectural issues
What is our primary use case?Enterprise Data Warehouse and enterprise data staging. Automation and documentation of all data warehousing processes.
Pros and Cons
- "The tool supports multiple target update methods."
- "No support for change data capture or delta detection - that must be custom coded ."
What other advice do I have?The compelling selling point for this and similar tools as "datamart in a box" providers is that they are pre-built frameworks and documentation. The opportunity is that staff with little data warehousing experience can get up to speed easily and not have to worry about building logging, orchestration and error frameworks or even know much about data warehouse design. Unfortunately this tool's basic architecture has severe flaws which make it likely impractical for most real world marts or data warehouses. It has some significant cons in the following areas: - Metadata support specific (cannot…
Jul 7, 2017
Automated documentation, quick time to market, ease of use, code standardization and support for Data Vault 2.0.
What other advice do I have?No solution is perfect and I could probably find nits here and there, however, I find WhereScape RED to be exactly what I was looking for. Roughly 80% of a data analyst's job is preparing data and 20% is doing the analysis. I purchased WhereScape RED to flip that equation on its head.
Jun 13, 2017
Automation, Automation, Automation...
What other advice do I have?As other reviewers have noted, data warehouse automation requires you to change your thinking and perspective somewhat. If you are looking at this product as a simple replacement for your existing ETL and try to use it exactly the way you used ETL, then you will not fully realize the functional benefits (the cost benefits will still be there though). You need to think more in terms of agile data warehouse design. For those new to this concept, I recommend a book called “Agile Data Warehouse Design: Collaborative Dimensional Modeling, from Whiteboard to Star Schema” by Lawrence Corr and Jim…
Feb 6, 2017
The architecture is based on metadata and documentation is automated.
What other advice do I have?WhereScape RED has been a great fit for my organization.
Jan 31, 2017
The most valuable feature is its metadata-driven approach to data warehouse ETL development.
What other advice do I have?I highly recommend engaging with WhereScape service consultants during adoption of RED. Learn the best practices they promote, and live by them to get the best results.
Dec 4, 2016
It is a "white box" solution. You can see (and even modify) everything that is generated.
What other advice do I have?Don't confuse data warehouse automation with ETL automation. DWA automates the entire data warehousing life cycle. Change your approach (think agile), change your processes (think end-to-end ... source data to business impact), and change your perspective (think cyclic, not linear). Without these changes you miss out on many of the benefits of automation.
Product CategoriesData Integration Tools
Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about WhereScape, Microsoft, Informatica, and more!