AV
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good audio and video quality, ease of use, accountability and intuitiveness

• "I rate Zoom as an eight out of ten, owing to the quality of its video and audio, its accountability, ease of use and intuitiveness."
  • "The technical support is very bad."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom for conference calls of a comparatively large scale.

What is most valuable?

I rate Zoom as an eight out of ten, owing to the quality of its video and audio, its accountability, ease of use and intuitiveness. The UIs are very easy. Everything on Zoom is good.

What needs improvement?

The technical support is very bad. If one is using Zoom SDK for building up his internal tool, then the support he can expect on a Mac OS is very bad. There will not be support for the latest version of the Xcode and development involvement. There are many challenges and integration is difficult. These are some of the issues which have been relayed to me by certain developers.

There is an issue with the integrations with custom applications. If, say, I am using Zoom SDK for customizing a product, I would encounter difficulty in integrating it with one of my native products. The technical expertise and documentation provided is very poor and that won't help the developers integrate everything smoothly.

I have encountered certain difficulties with Zoom screen-sharing and multi-use of sharing. There should exist the ability to share for multiple users.

Zoom's technical support is very bad. The technical documentation and expertise they provide is very poor and does not facilitate an entirely smooth integration by the developers.

We integrated in-house. However, the responses we received to the many questions we posted on the Zoom developer portal were not good, lacking prioritization.

In addition to the solution, we evaluated Zudy VINYL, but noticed that the packages they offer are a bit on the costly side.

What other advice do I have?

A friend of mine customized Zoom for one of his solutions.

We are working with customers on multiple solutions, as we are part of a service provider company. We have the technology tools that our customers require.

Our Zoom use spans the entire organization. Mainly managers make use of it and sharing will be done with the team. We generally use Microsoft Teams for internal communication.

I rate Zoom as an eight out of ten.

AS
Regional Sales Director - India & Middle East at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Stable, secure, and easy to use

• "The most valuable feature is how stable Zoom is. Compared to other collaboration tools, I haven't seen Zoom crash often. Zoom is also better in terms of security. From a usability perspective, a user's perspective, the overall experience of using Zoom is very good. It's a simple, fast, very seamless solution, and pretty lightweight."
  • "Zoom could be improved by adding more third-party integrations. They should also work on their virtual backgrounds. I think these could be more professional and creative."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for virtual meetings.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Zoom for over two years.

Zoom is very stable. The performance is much better compared to similar collaboration tools.

I have never directly contacted Zoom's technical support. My organization has a centralized IT team.

Before switching to Zoom, I used Skype for Business. Skype for Business was very heavy, unstable, and difficult to use. It consumed a lot of memory and the overall experience wasn't very nice.

As an organization, we sometimes use Microsoft Teams as well, but I always prefer using Zoom. The interface is very simple and elegant.

The installation was a breeze.

I implemented through an in-house team.

There is a license to pay for, but my company takes care of that. I don't actually spend anything.

What other advice do I have?

There are over 200 people in my organization using Zoom. As for maintenance, there are periodic updates from time to time, but there aren't a lot of operational challenges. It's purely cloud-based, which adds great value, and there are no challenges in maintaining it.

I would rate Zoom an eight out of ten. I recommend it to anyone who wants to start using it.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ravinder Ahluwalia
Independent Peoplesoft Consultant at Asoft Management Consulting Inc
Overall good features, allows large group conferences, and priced well

• "Overall, Zoom is a good product because we are using it globally, and it is a good way of connecting with everyone globally."
  • "I find while using Zoom sometimes there is a lot of disturbance while on the call. There is a lot of network issues, and sometimes the screen freezes, and you have no way of figuring out what went wrong. You have to restart the computer all over again, or you lose some of the words that someone was saying during the meeting, such as what the person is trying to say in the midst of that conversation. Additionally, there have been times it has disconnected and was not able to start."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom for communication.

What is most valuable?

You are able to have 40-50 people or hundreds of people communicating, depending on your contacts.

What needs improvement?

I find while using Zoom sometimes there is a lot of disturbance while on the call. There is a lot of network issues, and sometimes the screen freezes, and you have no way of figuring out what went wrong. You have to restart the computer all over again, or you lose some of the words that someone was saying during the meeting, such as what the person is trying to say in the midst of that conversation. Additionally, there have been times it has disconnected and was not able to start.

The solution should be more user-friendly. I should not have to reboot and go through these steps to have a solution. I have not seen any internet connection issues. It seems to be automatically right inside the system that is the issue and this is what I have heard. These are all minor issues but they should be taken care of.

I would like to see better architecture from an end-user perspective. it should be easy to use and user-friendly because there are some places that are difficult to find or to navigate. It is difficult to figure out where to go for certain features within the application. If it had better navigation users would get things done faster.

I have been using Zoom for approximately one year.

I have used other solutions, such as Skype.

The annual price of approximately $200 for the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Zoom is widely used and it has been better than other solutions, such as Skype.

I rate Zoom an eight out of ten.

LH
Founding Member at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Ability to record interviews has assisted with my studies; screen share and annotation are good features

• "Ability to record interviews."
  • "Variable sound quality."

What is our primary use case?

My main use for Zoom has been for collaborating with other students, but I also use it for tutoring and for recreational purposes with friends and family. I'm not using Zoom in the workplace but at the university where I study, all the students use it and we meet regularly on Zoom. I've downloaded it to my computer and mobile phone and for now, I'm using it on a daily basis. I would love to work remotely so I would definitely consider using it more. I'm an elementary educator and customer of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

Screen share is a great feature. I've used it for recording interviews and then I'm able to refer back to it or download and publish it. Annotating is a very helpful feature and of course the chat is nice if there's a lot going on and you want to talk individually to an individual who's on there. I think it's quite an intuitive solution regarding use and I've had pretty good luck with the quality, so it's just an easy place to have a group gathering.

What needs improvement?

It seems that lately it takes a while to connect and a long time to load. It would be helpful if that was a little more instantaneous. And then I guess sometimes the sound quality can be a bit of an issue.

I'm not super technical, but it really would be great if the quality could be improved. I'd also like to see the ability to receive alerts when the product is offline, and notifications about upcoming meetings.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

So far it's working. It's very stable for me.

The setup was very straightforward, it took just a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

AF
Portfolio Manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good user interface and has the ability to share screens but it may interfere with device settings

• "I don't have any issue with the pricing."
  • "I don't know whose product is at fault, however, if you've ever had to go from Zoom to Teams to WebEx, it really messes around with your device settings."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for client meetings. In most cases, our customers are government customers. They're using the government version of Zoom.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is fine.

I don't have any issue with the pricing.

The technical support is okay.

It does offer collaboration. You can share your screen.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure how good the solution is for file sharing. However, that might not be the type of functionality you need for this type of project.

I don't know whose product is at fault, however, if you've ever had to go from Zoom to Teams to WebEx, it really messes around with your device settings. In the case of my microphone, I may have a USB microphone, and all of a sudden I'm using the microphone in my camera. Or my speakers, if they're plugged into my laptop, now all of a sudden those don't work. That's something that's kind of annoying. However, that might not be the fault of Zoom.

I haven't had any issues with technical support.

The company mainly uses Microsoft Teams. I only use Zoom for when a customer wants to have a meeting and they need to use Zoom.

We used to use WebEx, however, we don't really use it anymore.

The pricing of the solution is fine.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user.

I'd probably rate the solution at a seven and that is only due to the fact that we're a Microsoft shop, and we have a lot of Office 365. Our use of Teams is very integrated into the files that we create and store and access. Therefore, Zoom is not the most used product in our company.

Nathan Brookwood
Research Fellow at Insight 64
Great for remote meetings, helpful during social distancing and offers a free version

• "There is a free version of the solution."
  • "They could improve security more."

What is most valuable?

The ability to hold remote meetings is helpful.

There is a free version of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution shouldn't charge so much for their services.

I'm always in favor of a lower price. That said, I find there's a big gap between the free version and the professional version. When I looked at what it would cost to be able to get the full version, I said, "Gee, that's too much." If there was something in between the free version and the least expensive paid version, I probably would have paid for it. I would've gone for that.

They could improve security more.

They should make it a little bit easier to use, in terms of screen-sharing. One of the problems I have is when I go into a screen-sharing mode, I don't see what the other people see. If I could have my screen synced with what was being shared and me, that would be better.

I've been using it for a couple of years, but my usage, like everybody else's really picked up with the COVID pandemic.

The solution can be pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I do use Zoom, but again, just as an ordinary consumer. I don't have any experience with the high end or professional version.

Normally when I would use it, it would be because some associate or organization I was dealing with was using Zoom in order to reach out to people like me. I didn't even realize until a few months ago, that Zoom charged in order to get a version that was capable of handling more than a few users. I always wondered how they made money.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Collin Cheong
Head of Credit Risk Management at IFS Capital
Good for internal communications, allows you to share screens, and is easy to setup

• "The most valuable features are that you are able to share the screen, and draw on it."
  • "The time limitations for the free version should be increased from 40 minutes."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for normal web meetings. We use it for internal communication.

We have regular weekly meetings and for those who don't have to share any screens, we just call.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that you are able to share the screen, and draw on it.

What needs improvement?

The time limitations for the free version should be increased from 40 minutes. We do have an account but not enough to go around.

During the screen sharing, there is an option to zoom in. If they could add a feature where you could just drag if you wanted to zoom in or when you want to zoom out, that would be great.

I have been using the latest version of Zoom for three months.

The stability is acceptable. There are no serious issues.

It's relatively easy to scale zoom. You just get another ID.

We have 100 users.

We have not contacted technical support.

Previously, we did not use a different solution. We stared with Zoom.

The initial setup is relatively okay, but it's not as easy as Google Meet.

I did the installation myself, it took a couple of minutes.

We have an account but we are also using the free version.

What other advice do I have?

If you are interested in a free version, you should go with Google Meet because there is no time limit.

Sally Schilling
President at SystemLink
Popular, with a web-based interface, but does not support file sharing

• "It's popular. Many people use it not only personally, but also in businesses."
  • "It would be useful to be able to share files with my colleagues."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zoom to communicate with colleagues and hold meetings with colleagues and clients.

What is most valuable?

It's popular. Many people use it not only personally, but also in businesses.

What needs improvement?

When you have a large group of people on Zoom, the focus becomes hazy. When there are larger groups, people can become easily distracted.

When you have 10 people and three or four of them are primarily engaged in the conversation, the rest of the group has ventured or wandered off. I am not sure if it's a complaint. It's simply a fact.

I would like to see better video quality, especially when it's being used by a large group of people using it.

I'm not aware of any file transfer capabilities with Zoom. It would be useful to be able to share files with my colleagues.

There are some things that we require that Zoom does not have.

I have been using Zoom for approximately one year.

Our company is small.

When we use Zoom, we may have one client and possibly another group of participants who are not affiliated with the organization.

Because we are in the software development and implementation business, we use other tools in addition to Zoom.

While we are on a call, we use Go to Assist, and Fast Support to track our time and transfer files.

We access it through the Zoom web application. We don't install it or publish it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Zoom a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.