Zoom OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zoom is #2 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. IT Central Station users give Zoom an average rating of 8 out of 10. Zoom is most commonly compared to TeamViewer:Zoom vs TeamViewer. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Zoom?

Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Our easy, reliable cloud platform for video, phone, content sharing, and chat runs across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. Message me to learn more about how Zoom can help your business or organization Visit zoom.com and follow @zoom_us.

Zoom Buyer's Guide

Download the Zoom Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Zoom Customers

Fortinet, Veeva, Proofpoint, Box, Ticketmaster, Trend Micro, Caesars Entertainment, Santa Clara University, Pandora, Stanford Continuing Studies

Zoom Video

Zoom Reviews

MarcoCarvajal
Co-fundador CEO/CTO at XANDOR Automotive
More intuitive and accessible to new users

• "I like Zoom because of the quality of the image and the resolution. Of course, I know that depends on the hardware you're using. But, still, the image and sound quality are excellent."
  • "One thing that Zoom can improve is the chat. You can send messages to a specific person without messaging everyone. But everyone sees the whole chat if the administrator lets them see the chat. Maybe they could add an option to let you open a private conversation on the side with a person."

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom when speaking about some topics in my community. I am currently trying to set up my own business, but when I was working for a company, I used Zoom for meetings with my coworkers when I needed to talk to multiple people at the same time. I've used Zoom for calls with 2,000 to 3,000 people and also audiences of 30 people or one-on-one conversations.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom because of the quality of the image and the resolution. Of course, I know that depends on the hardware you're using. But, still, the image and sound quality are excellent. If you use the free version of Skype, sometimes the screen gets blurry, so you can't see everything well, then you have to check if the connection is okay, or maybe you need to restart the application. But with Zoom, I didn't have that kind of problem. Zoom is also more intuitive and accessible to new users.

What needs improvement?

One thing that Zoom can improve is the chat. You can send messages to a specific person without messaging everyone. But everyone sees the whole chat if the administrator lets them see the chat. Maybe they could add an option to let you open a private conversation on the side with a person. And for example, let's say you are chatting with another person and you want to select two or three more people to have a private chat. Zoom could add a feature that lets you create a breakout room in the chat where you can collaborate. I think that would work fine because it's like being in an office where you can also start some other conversations. Even though there isn't a speaker in front of you talking, you can also have some further discussions with the coworkers at the same time. But none of the tools has that feature that I know of, or if they do, I haven't used it.

Zoom could also maybe add some integrated storage that could be allocated according to your requirements, or it could be a subscription that you pay for. And the interface could possibly use some fancier colors or a more modern look. Sometimes everything on the screen is in black, but you can change the background, and that's good. But for example, the aspect of the screen is old-fashioned on Zoom. The design, screens, and layouts of the forms could all use an overhaul. If you have software that looks much better than the competitor, maybe it could be positioned better than the leader, probably, perhaps because you have your experience, I'll say. An end-user may be suitable. So, as I said, for example, you could also be in a conversation.

And Zoom could add some integrated note-taking features. So when you are listening to a speaker, you can jot something down really quickly, or if you're the speaker, you can have some notes to help you with your presentation so you don't forget to say something. It would also be helpful if you could record the session yourself. Only the administrator can record the meeting not all the parties in the meeting. But I think it may not be possible because of the bandwidth, I guess.

I have more than 30 years of working as a software director, product manager, and director of software development. So in terms of product development, you always want to envision the real goal you want to achieve in a given amount of time and how you want to differentiate from other products that are out there in the market. And you think about what kind of innovations you want to introduce in the product, so you start managing a roadmap and engage in version planning to release those new versions at a specific time.

I've never had to contact Zoom support.

Each company has its own preferred toolset of its preference. For example, some users or companies use Webex or GoToMeeting. Others use Skype, Meet, or Teams. But Zoom is the one that comes to mind when I am talking about these tools. In the past, for example, Skype was one of the first tools in the market that let people have virtual meetings for free.

Zoom's strategy is to let everyone use the tool for at least 40 minutes without any restrictions, and when you reach the time limit, you restart the tool and continue the conversation. So that led so many users to adopt the tool.

Installing Zoom is pretty straightforward. I haven't had any problems. It practically installs itself and takes about a minute, I believe. It updates and installs in that time, but there is also a web-based version so that you can work with it, and you don't need to install anything at all. The only problem I've had recently was a video issue. Everybody could hear me, but I couldn't share my video. I don't know why. I got out of the application and started it again, and I still couldn't show my screen. Maybe it's because I haven't installed the latest version or because I am working with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10 perhaps.

I've never paid for Zoom. When I worked for other companies, they had already bought a subscription or perpetual license. Aside from that, I've only ever used the free version.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom nine out of 10. I say nine because all products have room for improvement. For instance, it would be a great idea if Zoom could provide APIs and a way to embed their products in third-party applications. Let's say I'm working in BPM or RPA tool and need to ask a question, so can I call someone, see their face, and have a little conversation without leaving the app. That would enhance the experience of using the BPM or RPA tool because you wouldn't have to leave your environment to collaborate with some others immediately. Zoom could be more like WhatsApp, where you can chat about something and get the answer from someone else. You can see all the conversations and search them. But you never see the same integration with a tool like Zoom, Skype, or any other tools in the market. And that would be terrific because it increases and enhances collaboration between people.

And right now, because of the pandemic, we don't know when we'll be working together again at the same office. In some jobs, that could be indefinite. There's going to be a mix of people who like working from home or at the office, and they're going to need to interact, so you need a way for people to talk face to face. You need to see each other and feel a sense that you are close to that person. Even though you're not right there in front of the person, at least you have the chance to see them, not just some words written down in an instant messaging system.

Odell Hall
Owner, Editor-In-Chief at planetill.com
Easy to use for people with no tech background

• "I like Zoom's ease of use and how easy it is for non-tech people to interface with it. Other video conferencing solutions can be somewhat challenging for non-tech people, so you often end up waiting for people to connect."
  • "Security is something Zoom lacks. If you're trying to get proprietary buy-in and enterprise buy-in, security is the top priority. And even though the user interface is simple, every solution could use a tune-up in that department."

What is our primary use case?

Everyone in the company uses it, so it's about a few dozen. I use it for interviews and group discussions but very rarely for meetings because there are security issues on that level. So I don't share proprietary information on Zoom, but I use it frequently for normal discussion. Obviously, now that people are getting back to work, we're not using it as much, but it's still useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Zoom is more accessible for people without a lot of tech knowledge. So let's say you're setting up a Zoom call with your parents, and they don't have the hardware or other things you need on their computer. It's easy to Zoom with them over the phone rather than inviting them to a meeting and getting them to a place with a microphone and a screen. It's highly mobile and easy for them to join the conversation.

What is most valuable?

I like Zoom's ease of use and how easy it is for non-tech people to interface with it. Other video conferencing solutions can be somewhat challenging for non-tech people, so you often end up waiting for people to connect. Although Microsoft Teams is probably a better enterprise product overall, it's not as good for people who don't have that kind of tech history. Also, I've had some microphone issues and connection issues with Teams.

What needs improvement?

Security is something Zoom lacks. If you're trying to get proprietary buy-in and enterprise buy-in, security is the top priority. And even though the user interface is simple, every solution could use a tune-up in that department. I found it easy, but those things are not difficult for me. Of course, I can't speak for older adults who might not have experience interfacing with these things. Maybe Zoom could be made easier for them.

But again, when it comes to ease of use, Zoom is on the lower and higher-end, depending on how you look at it. We don't use Zoom for presentations, so I'm unsure if it already has this feature. But if Zoom could enable you to present directly, that's something that would add a lot of value.

We've been using Zoom for over a year.

I haven't had any issues. However, once you get beyond a certain number, it becomes very dependent on the admin to figure out who should be talking. The more people you have, the more difficult it will be to keep track. But I suppose that's a function of any meeting.

Zoom's scalability depends on whether people are following Robert's Rules of Order or how amenable your staff is to have those kinds of meetings. If they're not used to that kind of thing, then you have people speaking out of turn, so it depends on how good your moderator is. Generally speaking, though, the more people on a call, the more difficult it is to manage who's speaking or keep track of who is who.

Hopefully, we won't be expanding our usage any time soon because that would mean things have gone south in terms of the pandemic. For now, our usage will remain steady, and I don't see it expanding to that extent. Even if you have customers across different markets, it won't be expanded on one end because the user base on the proprietary end won't increase.

You really didn't need tech support for Zoom. Something terrible would have to happen before you called Zoom tech support. Even then, you have your internal IT team for stuff like this, but it's not a cumbersome app. People have security issues. They get hacked. I know of a few people who had their Zoom meetings interrupted with frat-boy antics, racist trolling, and all kinds of crazy things. We've never had those kinds of issues, but if your password gets out or something like that, you may have to call tech support and see if they can block some IP address. But we've never had to deal with that kind of issue.

People at this company use Skype and Webex fairly frequently, but Webex is more of an onsite on-prem thing. For example, Webex is used when you don't want to go upstairs to talk to your coworker or you can't fit that many people in a conference room. Webex is more appropriate for direct presentations. We don't use Zoom for that kind of thing. But Zoom is easier to use overall than Webex, Teams, and Skype.

Setting up Zoom is incredibly easy. Let's say you're told that you need to go to a Zoom conference that starts in five minutes. You can set yourself up in that time and not be late. With some of these other solutions, you're doing mic checks, interface checks, internet checks, etc. It's easy to set Zoom up right away.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zoom seven out of 10. Again, I would say seven because of ease of use, how widely available it is, and how easy it is to adapt. But I don't know how well it can work at the large enterprise level. For our normal usage, I think it's solid.

At the same time, I wouldn't present via Zoom unless I had an experienced presenter. You have to keep the audience's attention or use Webex so the presentation is onscreen. When using Teams or Webex, you're sharing screens, so it's a direct kind of thing. In Zoom, you have a camera, and you're presenting. In my experience, it's not a direct-to-screen presentation. It's more of the audience watching you present from a screen. So that requires a little bit more attention. If you're having a town hall or something along those lines, I would say Zoom is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're trying to do something that involves specifications and very minute details, use Teams or Webex.

Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rebekah Shields
Strategy & Operations at Allstacks
Very user friendly, easy to share screens, and lots of useful features

• "There are lots of great features available to every user."
  • "How they have the gallery aligned when someone is sharing a screen isn't ideal right now. If there were more options on how to arrange it, would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for remote meetings.

My typical use case is doing product tours, as well as tool connections, and explainer videos for how to use dashboards for our product. I teach people through virtual training.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically, the solution hasn't changed the way I work so much. I've been remote since before COVID-19 and all my work is being handled in the same way as it was before. However, I'm very aware that for everyone else in the world it's probably changed the way meetings are traditionally handled.

We have a technical product that is quite complicated to understand without being able to visually see and walk people through it and show them how to use it. Zoom makes it possible to do visual training. Instead of being in there face to face, however, we're able to actually just walk them through each training session and new users can ask questions, and dive deep into the product to understand it better.

What is most valuable?

I like being able to record the sessions if I need to. I also like the option to annotate.

The options to add polls and share screens are great.

There are lots of great features available to every user.

It's pretty user friendly and easy for people to use. All the clients I have say they don't typically have any problems getting into it or using it. It's great in that respect.

What needs improvement?

I would say the polls need improvement.

When you're using the video, there's a little dialogue box that pops up. It's annoying to everybody who uses Zoom. It would be nice if it had some more features for driving interaction and engagement during meetings. However, they need to make sure the dialog box is up there in a more convenient way.

The ability to make it easier for poll creation and usage would be helpful. If I make a poll, I want it to be accessible to all my different meetings, not just that one meeting. Right now, it's a lot of extra work due to the fact that I have to continuously re-create it every time I need it.

I have been using the solution for at least a year, or, maybe at this point, two.

I haven't had any problems with stability. It's actually been much more stable than the other five different conferencing tools I have used. I'm happy with that. It's quite reliable.

We only have 16 users on the solution at this time. That's everyone in our organization.

We use the solution often, however, since everyone is already on it in our organization, we don't have plans to scale more or increase usage. We're already at 100% usage.

From day one, we've been using video conferencing as our main method of communication.

I've never had to reach out to technical support. I have a background in IT, so my instinct, if I run into issues, is to figure everything out myself. I can't speak to the quality of their service since I've never dealt with them.

I've tried about five other solutions, and Zoom, by far, has been the most stable and reliable.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward in some ways. However, it's not intuitive per se. It's straightforward once you're aware of it, and yet, there are a lot of features I didn't even know were there until I did some research. It wasn't obvious from how they have their website set up. You have to really dig for features. I found it only after six months or a year into using it.

We currently use the business account on Zoom. I'm not sure of what the exact costs are to use the solution. The pricing, as I understand it, is very straightforward. There might be just one add-on cost, which would be for users who would like to join in or talk via toll-free dialing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a professional relationship with Zoom.

In terms of advice for implementing the solution, I would probably just say make sure that new users go into the settings within their account and see what they have turned on and off. For instance, I just told my CEO and a couple of the other executives about the option to annotate because I assumed that they knew that was possible. They didn't.

There's also the capability of using a whiteboard. There are a bunch of other really great features that are available as well that are not obvious at first. Users need to just go in through their account settings and click on everything and set the account up in ways that are convenient for them depending on what they're trying to accomplish.

It's strange that the majority of the cool features are by default disabled, so users have to go in and become familiar with them on the back end. Everyone needs to take the time to make sure you really play around with it, or go to the help center and watch some videos, and read some of the articles to see what's available.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

HH
Visiting lecturer at a university with 51-200 employees
Great file and screen sharing capabilities but needs to offer longer meetings on the personal version

• "The whiteboard capabilities are great."
  • "They should remove any restriction of time."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for meetings and calls.

What is most valuable?

In Zoom, I don't have a preference for any of the features. If you know the application well, then you can use all the features. I'm using most of the features, including file sharing and sharing screens.

The possibility for chat is very handy sometimes. The chat is very useful due to the fact that sometimes you have to run formulas and those kinds of things and to pronounce it is not enough. You have to write it down so that the person or people can see exactly what the formula is.

The whiteboard capabilities are great.

What needs improvement?

I use Zoom not so much for business, due to the fact that the problem with Zoom is the restriction that you have where there are only 45 minutes allowed for a conference, and then you had to log out and start a new meeting.

They should remove any restriction of time. Sometimes the time that you planned for the meeting is not enough. Sometimes it goes more than an hour, an hour and 10 minutes.

That said, they may have already fixed this issue.

When you start the Zoom meeting, at first, it didn't start directly, the meeting. It'd go to the web browser, then it asks you to open the zoom application. After it opens, then you can start. That it's a little bit too much of a problem for beginners. It would be easier and more user-friendly if you can go directly to the meeting without the hassle of starting up and waiting. It could just be a bit more user-friendly.

The problem originally was that when Zoom started, they had most of the market. The problem that they had, is that with the COVID pandemic, a lot of people started using conferencing solutions and you had a paid version and a free version. The paid version had more features than the free version. That was confusing for people. They said, “okay, why do I have to pay for certain features?” A lot of people I know looked for free versions and there were other free versions. For example, I use Whereby also, and Whereby does all the things that Zoom can do.

The solution is stable.

I know a lot of IT, and therefore, most of the things that come up I can fix and if I can't fix it directly, I go and I look on the internet for solutions. If I run into a problem, I'm not the first person that has run into the problem. I look for a solution myself. Most of the time I get the solution. I don't deal with technical support.

I use Zoom, MS Teams, and Google Meet.

I also use Whereby, which is free to use.

I used MS Teams first, then Zoom. I use MS Teams due to the fact that I have a Microsoft account and a Microsoft company account. I started using Zoom when a lot of people started using Zoom. Using MS Teams is more difficult than using Zoom.

I am tech-savvy. I'm not afraid to use applications and I can understand the logic behind the application. That said, I know that non-tech-savvy people had problems with starting up the Zoom meeting. The typical user doesn't understand the logic that's behind it. When you start it on the web, it's supposed to work directly on the web and not go to the application that is on your desktop and launch that. That is something that I can understand, however, it is not logical for people who are not accustomed to using IT so much.

All that is to say that, for me, the initial setup is not complex, however, I'm not an average user. I work daily with 10 or 12 applications. I switch from one to another. For me, it's not difficult. For non-technical people, it might be.

The deployment is fast and only takes a few minutes. It's maybe ten minutes or less.

I'm using a personal account, which is free. To use a company account, I have to go to the administration and fix that they pay the year account. I don't want to go through all of these procedures and all the hassle. That's the reason I use a personal account.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using Zoom on occasion. It depends on what the person I will have a conference with wants to use. I am flexible. I use various solutions. I pick the one that is better for the other side.

I tend to use the most up-to-date version of the solution.

I'd advise users to use the solution as it's a good product. In the beginning, it scared me off because as there were a lot of rumors about privacy. For a few months, I didn't use it until I knew that they had fixed that problem. Now security is fine.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

TC
Operating Executive, as an independent consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Scalable and secure enough but has sync issues

• "It's easy to use and at this point, it's certainly ubiquitous. It's everywhere."
  • "There were several instances where we couldn't connect into a meeting just on video and then couldn't even dial-in."

What is our primary use case?

I'm always in calls through Zoom and other platforms. We use ours and then we use other people's as well. It depends on who sets up the meeting. It's really for client meetings and management meetings or board meetings. Anything that is not in-person we typically will use Zoom for.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

It's easy to use and at this point, it's certainly ubiquitous. It's everywhere. Everyone seems to have experience with it.

The solution is scalable.

It's secure enough.

What needs improvement?

In terms of connectivity, we've had issues, specifically this week. There were several instances where we couldn't connect into a meeting just on video and then couldn't even dial-in. Something was not working. It was like that for a good two days the last time it happened. We had to work around the issue.

From a professional use point of view, it really just needs to work more solidly. It's not more features that they need. Rather, they could increase the stability and solve some of the sync problems they have with video and audio.

I've used Zoom for probably about five years at this point.

There are a few stability problems. For example, occasionally, there's a sync problem between the video and the audio.

The scalability is good. It's pretty solid. I understand how complex these things are on the back end. I haven't seen it fail due to too many people being on it.

Everyone uses it. It's quite extensively used. We have about 100 people in our organization that leverage it regularly.

I've never contacted technical support. When we have had connectivity issues, I report them. Every time it didn't connect, I would send a message to let them understand the frequency of the issue.

I also use Teams to a certain degree.

Even with Teams coming on as strongly as it is, Zoom is still the standard. What I'll often hear people say is, "on Zoom, I can do this. How do I do it here?" Zoom sets the standard for a lot of platforms.

I work for a private equity firm and they're very concerned about security. For a while, we used WebEx due to the fact that it was secure. However, they were just were so far behind and there were problems with that. In the end, more often than not, you'd almost expect problems with the WebEx side. Zoom was better in that regard. Zoom is able to actually encrypt the meetings from end-to-end, point-to-point.

I don't handle anything related to costs or licensing. I don't know what the actual pricing is on the product.

What other advice do I have?

I work as a consultant for a private equity firm. I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'm up to date with the latest version at the moment.

For the most part, the solution just works. However, when it doesn't work, it really doesn't work.

A lot of people are finding success with Microsoft Teams. If a company already has Teams, if they're at a certain subscription level within Microsoft, they get Teams for free. If they're a company that has enough scale, then Teams will just come along with their subscription. Teams works well enough and has other factors and features from a collaboration standpoint. That makes it pretty compelling.

That being said, what I'd recommend is if people are a Microsoft house and they have a certain level of their subscription before they invest in Zoom, see if they can't address their needs with Teams, otherwise, they might be spending money where they don't need to.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Cristian-Silva
Virtual network solution Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, stable, and great for webinars

• "The stability has been good overall."
  • "I'd like integration with Outlook to set my meetings. As it is, right now, I have to go to the Zoom app to do that, and after that, export it to Outlook."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for video calls. I use it for everything including meetings, interviews, webinars, et cetera. I use it a lot.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it in my company and since the pandemic, I use it every day. I entered into the company while the pandemic was just starting. I don't do any face-to-face with my coworkers. Everything is in Zoom, outside of the office setting.

What is most valuable?

Overall, I like it very much.

I like the way that you can do webinars on it. That is the most valuable for me.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

There are some features that are lacking. For example, sometimes, I want to share some pictures in the chat, and, in Zoom, you can't do that. That's the one item I'm missing. You can do that in Microsoft Teams with no problem. It's something I'd like to do in Zoom.

I'd like integration with Outlook to set my meetings. As it is, right now, I have to go to the Zoom app to do that, and after that, export it to Outlook. It should be simpler. Maybe there is a secret I am missing.

I'm not sure if it is possible in Zoom, however, in Cisco Webex, you can do the online translation of what the people are saying. That could be a good solution for people that actually don't speak English. For example, I speak Spanish. English is my second language. It would be helpful to have an in-app translation.

The stability has been good overall. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product scales well. I've been on webinars with 500 people and have never had a problem with it. You can do rather sizable meetings.

Everyone in my organization is using Zoom at this time. We have about 22,00 people that work within the organization.

I'm from the IT world and can do my own troubleshooting. I've never been in touch with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful they would be, or how responsive they are.

In my organization, we can use Zoom or Microsoft Teams. A lot of people are changing to Teams due to the lack of integration in Zoom with Outlook. That said, almost everyone uses Zoom still. It was the first solution that this company had, therefore, likely the newest people are using Teams and the older ones are using and still using Zoom.

I used to use Cisco WebEx as well.

When I started using the solution I thought that it was a little bit hard to do as I was used to using Cisco Webex. The change was a little bit hard, however, it only took me a week to do all the things that I can actually do in Webex. Therefore, it's not too hard.

I'm not sure if the solution requires any maintenance, however, we have a local IT team that would be able to handle any responsibilities if that's the case.

We have a company account. I'm not sure what the overall costs are to the company.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'm using the latest version of the product.

I use it on mobile and on my laptop.

I'd advise potential new users to compare the features of all the solutions that are actually in the market to see which would be the best fit for the company's purposes. It's a good idea, if it's possible, to run a POC to try and test all the features first.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's a great solution, however, I'd really like to be able to share images via chat in Zoom.

VS
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reliable and easy to navigate with easy access to lots of great functionalities

• "The solution is easy to navigate."
  • "The solution needs to have a feature that allows you to take over another person's screen. right now, that's not possible. This is important for our purposes due to the act that we are often using the solution to troubleshoot issues for our clients. If we could just take over their screen and go in and fix issues, it would make troubleshooting infinitely easier."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for business meetings and occasionally for some personal events as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very reliable. I've never had issues with the video or audio.

The solution is easy to navigate.

It's very easy to find the functionalities I need when I am using it.

The product makes it easy to invite people to the meetings.

It offers great collaboration functionality.

What needs improvement?

The solution should also make it easier to be able to share material with each other during the meetings.

If the flexibility could improve, so there aren't disruptions during meetings, that would be great. Occasionally we get a frozen page. However, that may be network or connectivity issues on our end.

While I did occasionally use Zoom before COVID-19, due to participation in events organized by our software partner, I've only really begun to use it regularly this year, after we had to socially distance.

The stability is great. It's reliable. The audio and video always work. There's no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash either.

The scalability is fine. If users need to scale the solution, they can do so easily. You can have many people on one call.

We also use Skype. Both Skype and Zoom have been very useful to us during COVID social distancing requirements.

The product is very reminiscent of Skype. I prefer both Zoom and Skype to Microsoft Teams, which I dislike. Teams is more difficult to use and to invite people to meetings. Skype and Zoom, for example, are easy to navigate to the functionalities I need.

I also do not like WebEx, which I have also used in the past. Webex takes control of my camera sometimes without explicitly stating so, and this is an unpleasant experience for me. Zoom never does this.

I don't have much to say about the initial implementation. I always just use the web application, and, in that sense, there really isn't a setup of deployment of the product. It's just a website you go to utilize the services.

In my past experience using WebEx and Skype, however, I recall their setups to be quite easy and relatively quick. I imagine Zoom is very much the same.

What other advice do I have?

We're just Zoom customers. We don't have any special business partnership with the company.

I'm using the group application and I believe it's the latest version of the solution that I always access. I don't have it downloaded onto my PC.

Due to COVID, I've had to organize sessions on my own. Before COVID, I was only invited to sessions. It's only been recently that I've had to get to know all the functionality of to solution and processes behind inviting other people to meetings, etc.

I would advise other users to simply use the web application of the solution and to avoid downloading anything onto your desktop.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I really like the solution. It has great useability.

YS
Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up and simple to use with a great end-user experience

• "The product is quite secure and you can use it remotely. I've never heard of there being any security issues."
  • "The product could use some more automation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is simple to use. Anyone can use it. The product offers a free version as well as an enterprise version.

During the lockdown pandemic situation, every other person was using Zoom. Even most of the schools and education customers, have been using Zoom only, and they are using the free version. Some are using the enterprise version as well. Even students find it user-friendly. There are not many things to configure.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is very good.

My end-user experience has been very positive.

The installation is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I haven't looked into the potential to integrate anything into this product. I'm not sure if that's possible.

The product could use some more automation. We'd like it if there was a particular API that could be connected with other applications so that I can create a ticket and have a Zoom meeting sent and automatically start.

We've been using the solution for about a year or so.

We have found the product to be stable. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The scalability potential is excellent. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

We currently have 20 users on the solution, however, we have a client that has well over 100 users. Just the technical team uses it. There are engineers and managers that use it.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they might be.

We've also used Cisco Webex and Skype for Business. We use Zoom and Skype for meetings. WebEx we haven't used in a while.

If you go for Webex or something like that, it has its own infrastructure at times and other things are there. Plus, the licensing is heavy. For Zoom, it is not like that. It is pretty simple and handy. In Cisco, there are many options available, however, you have to configure some of the settings and you need to know the licensing structure at the time of installation. It's more complex.

We found the implementation process to be very simple. It's not overly complex. The first-time installation took me one or two days to complete with the fine-tuning and everything that was involved.

We're able to handle implementation ourselves. We didn't need any assistance with any outside help like consultants or integrators.

The solution requires a subscription-based license. You can also use the free version of the solution, which doesn't cost anything. However, it doesn't have all of the features.

The pricing is reasonable, especially if you compare it to other solutions on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user of Zoom.

As it's a cloud-based solution, we are using always the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend it to other users.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Zoom Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.