What potential issues often occur in data replication? What measures can be put in place to minimize the chance of these issues occurring?
From my experiences, there are quite a few points to be considered while designing a strategy :
1. Application / Data consistency - Based on whether replication method is crash-recoverable, apps-aware, etc, need to use a supported technology, sometimes coming from Application provider
2. Many storage replication technologies can also take care of the above.
3. Ability to get only latest data at DR or able to rollback to any previous point in time.
4. RPO & RPO required - Realtime, near realtime or recover from Replicated backups.
5. Link speed & reliability along with type of link like Synchronous/Asynchronous, etc can have a huge impact on what is feasible.