ActiveMQ Review

Delivers work to backend worker services that run tasks with variable run times. We ran into various stability problems with our implementations.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are:

• Message queues
  • Camel routes
  • High availability
  • Serialization of batch jobs
  • Consumer/worker throttling
  • Message durability

How has it helped my organization?

We use ActiveMQ primarily to deliver work to backend worker services that run tasks with extremely variable run times.

I supported and used ActiveMQ from 2010-2016.

We ran into various stability problems with our implementations over the years. We also ran into a few problems related to bugs.

One of the bugs was a memory leak from the KahaDB log files. As uptime accumulated, it eventually triggered one of the artificial limitations on the disk space used by KahaDB.

There have been no issues with scalability, but we had a pretty low message throughput.

The installation was pretty straightforward. It was also easy setting up HA using an NFS share for hosting the KahaDB.

What other advice do I have?

Use the right tool for the job. Evaluate your needs carefully. Ensure that you do adequate performance, load, and failure mode testing prior to introducing the solution to production.

More ActiveMQ reviews from users