ActiveMQ Review

Stable with a straightforward setup, but better documentation is needed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for messaging.

What is most valuable?

For any messaging system, I think that messaging, in general, is fundamental to software development.

What needs improvement?

This solution could improve by providing better documentation. IBM MQ has 30 years of experience to build upon and has had 30 years to grow and improve, while ActiveMQ does not have the same kind of heritage that IBM MQ has. In comparison, I find that IBM documentation is better, but it has had a lot more investment behind it.

In the next release, I think that a roadmap would be interesting. If we look at ActiveMQ and the ActiveMQ Artemis which are parallel streams that might merge, but it's not clear on whether it will or when will it happen. That would be useful.

Also, it is not that clear who offers what implementations. ActiveMQ is available as a managed service in AWS, but it is not clear whenever Red Hat AMQ is camping base around Artemis. It helps in terms of selecting why someone would want to use ActiveMQ.

I have had experience with ActiveMQ, on and off, for approximately five years.

I have not used it heavily in a production environment, but at the moment, I don't have any issues to report.

I am currently working with some clients to investigate some stability issues they are experiencing, but it could be the result of the way it was implemented.

In terms of performance, I have not any extensive performance tests as a comparison.

I have looked at other messaging providers, and I don't think that it's any worse than any other solution available. I think that it's reasonable.

There is a little bit of community support, but when you have 30 years of experience, it is not difficult to work out. With messaging, you pick up on new messaging products and you can fill in the gaps very quickly.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I have also had experience with IBM MQ for the last 30 years. I am comparing between different products and messaging scenario expertise.

I work in consultancies with many clients who have many different versions.

All messaging whether it's ActiveMQ, Amazon MQ which is Active MQ, or it's IBM MQ, they are all very similar, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

We have clients from small to large enterprises.

I would recommend this solution but it depends on the requirements. For example, what kind of support does the vendor want? What kind of managed services do they want? It is important because you can run ActiveMQ on AWS to get a managed service. It always depends on what their clients are looking for.

I'm impressed, I think that ActiveMQ is great.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More ActiveMQ reviews from users