Amazon AWS CloudSearch Review

Has worldwide stability and many layers of security, like hardware security and software security

What is our primary use case?

We have nine servers that use Amazon for hosting.

We migrated from on-premise to the Hawaii Amazon cloud. We migrated from enhanced package saving to enhanced package pay. We also changed our database provider from the IBM Db2 Tools database. Now we use the HANA database, which provides more memory. Previously, memory was around four to six gigabytes of RAM. Now, they have 300 gigabytes of RAM. HANA's database technology can provide hosting on memory alone. There is no need to install a hard disk. The actual performance creates a memory, not the processor.

AWS is famous for the stability of its cloud hosting, but we faced some challenges. When we wanted to import the image or server on Amazon, we could not import the server. Amazon's old server like VMware is a VM machine or a central machine. We could not download the central machine on-premise.

We fixed this challenge. We can now tell when we lose an image from AWS VMware or an AWS image from our server on AWS. I think this is back in AWS. We couldn't download VM or our server on-premise before.

What is most valuable?

It's the best solution for any company. It has a hosting ERP system for any task. AWS is stable. AWS is more flexible and its elastic concept is a new concept. It is also very secure. It has many layers of security, like hardware security and software security. This is a big issue.

What needs improvement?

Maybe they are common in Egypt, but you should make a request on Amazon to create a function to monitor CPU performance, memory, and files. It is very difficult in AWS. I would tell them it should be simple, just drag and drop. I think they could develop this option so we can drag and drop to monitor the performance of the processor and memory.

The integration is very good. AWS and HANA support the ERP system. In terms of performance, it is very good. The performance is according to what you pay. However, maybe the monitoring features need more enhancements, including flexibility and reliability. It is not easy. If we want to remove or add something on the dashboard, we need to request it from AWS. If you want to monitor a new dashboard, you should request it from a partner and the partner should request it from AWS worldwide. Compatibility is very good, though. The stability is very good. The network is stable. We connected to AWS through a VPN. I detected that the technology is very stable. The AWS team support is also very helpful in terms of communication and their VPN is very helpful and supportive. The core of AWS for hosting to succeed is the VPN connection. If the VPN connection is good or stable, the project in its entirety will be successful.

Database hosting from the network side is very stable and the VPN connection is also stable. Maybe the training in Egypt needs improvement. The training centers in Egypt are very small. They should open more training centers in Egypt. AWS there is the best solution for hosting in Egypt.

Our servers are all in England. If AWS in Egypt or the communication between AWS and Egypt is down, they will lose the image or the VMware of our server in AWS. We paid the foreman for security and more areas. However, we could not download a VPN until now. I don't know why we can't download.

We've been using this solution for about half a year.

We have about 100 users. Around two are technical engineers and the rest are just users. They connect to our ERP system by an ID in the cloud. Only our technical team monitor the system.

It's very simple. It is not complex to set up.

Every machine, VMware, or server takes one week. For complete connection and role line it would take two weeks. That is two weeks according to NTRA in Egypt. NTRA is a regulatory government agency for communication in Egypt. You should be clearing the guest and host IPs. In Egypt, we need to query where this IP is from and where it is going to, for security reasons. Creating a machine alone takes one week, because some custom information like a backup schedule needs to be recreated as a backup batch file by batch file. After we implement the server, we forget any inquiry.

Otherwise, it is only one hour to create a machine. However, we have some customs with every machine. ERP systems is a difficult project.

We don't exactly have team maintenance. AWS maintenance is managed by our partner. Our partner creates any maintenance and all requests. We just monitor the dealings and performance in the dashboard. That's it. Maybe in the first real project, they create any information about the connection with our firewall. We have a Sophos firewall. It might take some time for me to create the VPN connection. It would just take one or two hours to create the VPN connection. The AWS technical team sends us a file. The file has a configuration. We just create the information in our firewall and that's it. It is not difficult.

The partners help us completely. We paid for a subscription from a partner and they are the layer between AWS and our company. This is good for us because of the language and their 24/7 support in Egypt.

Before we chose AWS, we used Microsoft Azure. We had a host in Royal, Google, and SAP as well. SAP has hosting on the cloud. We can host SAP on SAP Cloud. However because of cost and stability, we chose AWS. There are many things we compared between this, Azure, Google, and SAP. SAP is very expensive compared to AWS. Google is also very expensive. Azure doesn't have the experience that AWS has. IBM also has a cloud, but it lacks the experience and is not multi-layer or multi-storage worldwide. AWS has many storage centers worldwide. Our system is based in Ireland, for example. There is a data center in India, Ireland, and many other stable countries. These days, it is hard to find a stable country. This was our criteria to choose the best vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Yesterday, a friend asked me about our migration. He asked what worked and where we host our system.

I would tell you the benefits of AWS and the latest in communication between Egypt and AWS. NTRA is the government communication in Egypt. It is very good and very bad. You might have to wait two weeks and just accept the communication. That's it. I recommended AWS for my friend yesterday.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten. This is the best web hosting solution. It might not be excellent because of the issues I mentioned. If these issues were addressed, maybe it would be ten out of ten.