Anritsu Oscilloscopes Review

Gives you the capability to increase the voltage strength more than what you have in your signal, but it could use more dynamic features

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using the Pre-emphasis box. We use it to tweak in some De-emphasis and have some voltage strength on the Tx signal.

We are using it to measure FPGA signals, which are transceiver signals from FPGA. This is a part of the transceiver's validation. We want to see if it complies with the protocols.

How has it helped my organization?

Sometimes, the silicon voltage strength is not enough. When you have some issues and you don't have a valid result, you don't know if it is due to the voltage strength, Taps, or something on the Tx side. Therefore, the Pre-emphasis box gives you a capability to experiment and boost the signal, boost the voltage strength, and play with the Taps. This way you better know the performance.

What is most valuable?

It gives you the capability to increase the Tap levels and voltage strength more than what you have in your signal.

The user interface is quite good. It is straightforward. It's not confusing. You can figure out the notes yourself without much help.

What needs improvement?

For the next release, I would like more explanation on Taps. E.g., what's the impact on the signal when we click on a feature or click on a Tap. It would be good if we have more capabilities on Taps.

Right now, it's a minimal tool. They could make it more dynamic by adding dynamic features, which could help us with doing effective analysis.

We are utilizing the full bandwidth of the product.

I think its upgradable, but we haven't the need yet to do it.

So far, the product has been doing well. We haven't really needed technical support. In case, we do, there's help where we can always email them, then it will get resolved through email. I think the technical support is quite good

I think everyone gets a demo before purchasing.

What other advice do I have?

If your intent is to experiment with your signal to see if some boosting helps or your silicon doesn't have a lot of Tap features, then this is a good product to start with. You can always boost your signal using the Pre-emphasis box from Anritsu, since it is good to understand your signal performance.

It wasn't really tough to get acclimated to the solution. The GUI is quite interactive and the notes are limited. It took about a month to to get familiar with the features.

The application space that we are using the solution to target is high-speed serial.

We are not using this product to support connected devices because we don't have a requirement for it.

I expect to see more features going forward. It's a limited feature product.