Apigee Review

Good performance and scalability, and the tracing feature is valuable

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apigee is one of the API management products that we implement for our customers. Most of our clients want to expose their APIs to their consumers and they need to have a generic infrastructure for it. At the same time, they want it to be scalable as well as highly secure.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to fulfill all of our use cases with Apigee.

What is most valuable?

Tracing in Apigee is a very good feature.

The scalability and performance are both very good.

What needs improvement?

As it is now, the rotation of certificates is a manual task and is something that can be improved. It only has to be done once every two or three years, but I would state that there is still room for improvement.

We have been working with Apigee for five years.

The last time we had a disturbance was a year and a half ago, and it was due to an AWS infrastructure failure. Apigee was not to blame for it. For the most part, it has a very high availability.

We have some very large customers that make a billion API calls a month and we have never heard any complaints about scalability. It's not an issue.

About half of our clients are mid-sized companies, with approximately 5,000 employees, whereas the other half is made up of companies that are bigger than that.

We have engaged multiple times with Google's technical support. I can't say that they're necessarily very quick in their response. It can take a couple of days. That said, they're very knowledgeable and to the point. In the five years that we have been working with them, we have built a big network with them.

We use several similar solutions including Mulesoft, SAP, and Azure. Mulesoft is the one that we use the least and try to replace it with other systems. Out of ten customers, we have two using Azure, six using Apigee, and the final two using SAP.

The initial setup is very straightforward and we perform it as a service for our clients. Normally, it takes us about a week to get it fully operational with all of the rules in place, and fully onboarded.

When it comes to deployment, we have variety with our customers. 60% of them will use a cloud-based deployment, while the remaining 40% work on-premises. We are now just engaging the first customers using the new hybrid model from Apigee.

We perform the deployment and maintenance of Apigee for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Apigee is to use it as an API platform, and not as a full-stack integration platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Apigee reviews from users