Apigee Overview

Apigee is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Apigee vs Microsoft Azure API Management

What is Apigee?

Apigee Edge, the self-service API management platform, enables companies to secure, scale, manage, and analyze their digital business, and grow API programs to meet the increase in demand. Edge enables enterprises to design and build the APIs that securely share their services and data.

Key capabilities of the Apigee Edge API management platform include:

• Security: protect APIs, messages, and backends with configurable policies such as OAuth, API key verification, XML/JSON threat protection, access control.
  • API gateway: secure and mediate the traffic between clients and backends, and between a company’s APIs and the developers, customers, partners, and employees who use the APIs.
  • Developer portal: attract and engage application developers, enabling them to discover, explore, purchase (or profit from), and test APIs and register to access and use the APIs.
  • API lifecycle management: manage the process of designing, developing, publishing, deploying, and versioning APIs.
Apigee Buyer's Guide

Download the Apigee Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Apigee Customers

Adobe, advance.net, Amadeus, AT&T, Bechtel, Belly, Burberry, Chegg, Citrix, Dell, eBay, Equifax, GameStop, First Data, Globe, HCSC, Intralinks, Kao, Meredith, Mitchell, Orange, Pearson

Apigee Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apigee pricing:
  • "The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made."

Tolulope Adeniji
Technical Lead - Integration/Middleware at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to configure the API with restricted access for different clients but their support is lacking

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to integrate both external applications as well as internal applications. We use some to integrate other applications, but most of them are just proxies that are for fronting the backend APIs.

• "It's a good return on my investment."
  • "The number one area this solution could be improved is by implementing support. Support is not a part of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

For on-premises I would not suggest this solution. Generally speaking, the product is a good one, it is matured and the features are okay. If anyone wants to use this solution they should first consider the cloud-based version. Because the support is lacking, we would have considered a different product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten. If the support was better, I would have given them a nine.
AR
Enterprise Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Easy policy creation, and a straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as API Management, as both proxy and security.

• "The ease of creating policies has been the most useful of the solution's features. It's a quick ramp-up time. It's easy for our support staff to implement the policies in the API management layer."
  • "The company needs to better support webhooks. It used to support webhooks and their policies and they have since stopped. They had some issues in the product and they abandoned the support for them. It's not come back since."

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are still in the process of testing the solution. We're using both on-premises and cloud versions. CA has developed a sort-of enterprise service spot inside of their API management platform. It does interesting things with files, and it has a lot of security features that are not normally used in a majority of API calls. It's overkill. Its portal is very clunky and very difficult to set up. Its gateways and its policies are not straight forward either. It basically requires a three-day class to understand how to get in and add policies and it's not very simple to add policies…
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HA
Director System Architecture at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Highly available, easy to configure and use, and it includes disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also it it ourselves. Our use case involves accessing functions on our backend systems through a portal used on mobile devices. The app on the mobile device uses the internet portal, and we have the API as a security layer to pass the functions through to the backend.

• "Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API."
  • "Apigee is demanding on the infrastructure so the setup cost is very high for an on-premises deployment."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is that it is has a very easy and intuitive GUI to build APIs, and I can also import Swagger files. It is built on a high availability model, so if anything goes down then another node will automatically take over. We can build an active-active across the DR site. The primary site is active, the DR site is active, and they are synchronized. It is easy to build, customize, install, and implement. The support is also extremely good. We get immediate responses and support is available every day of the week. Google commits on the resolution time for…
SM
Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexible API management and analytics that can be built out to fit varied needs

What is our primary use case?

It is a Google cloud solution for API management and analytics.

• "The opportunity for customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product."
  • "It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications."
  • "The setup and installation process could be improved with a container-based system."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product over any other products available in the market in this category. It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications. So I find that everything in it is flexible and available in this one product. Because of that I highly recommend it to anyone. On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Apigee around an eight out-of-ten.
SS
Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Overall quite good with great stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all of our security. There are a few use cases for us where we use it to protect API to third parties.

• "The stability of the solution is good. There aren't issues surrounding bugs or glitches. We don't find that it crashes or freezes. It's pretty reliable."
  • "The solution tends to hide the limitations to keep selling the product."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We are removing our IBM products and transition completely over to Apigee. We have Azure's API as well. In next one year or two year, we are going to dissolve IBM API Connect as well as Azure CIM and move everything to Apigee. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate Apigee at an eight. We'd rate it higher, however, they aren't clear on their offering. We just want everything automated and easy. The cost is not the issue. The lack of information is. I'd recommend the solution. It's a nice product and companies…
Tolulope Adeniji
A very stable platform with automated installation and useful proxy, security, and traffic control features

What is our primary use case?

I'm a developer as well as an architect. We have internal clients as well as external clients. We have other teams within the enterprise that use this platform. They do development, and sometimes, we do development for them. Then we host these solutions in the same infrastructure. We also have external clients who want to integrate their applications with us.

• "We have been using Apigee mostly for proxy FGIs. We also use its security features as well as traffic control features."
  • "In terms of the functionalities of a typical API gateway, Apigee is actually doing its job, but when it involves integration with backend applications, which some gateways have, I don't believe it has this functionality. You have to do Java or do some other low-level coding before you are able to do the integration. Apigee has a lot of components, which means that management will be a bit difficult. It probably has ten different components, and all of these components leverage open-source utilities, such as NGINX. When those open-source vendors upgrade their utility, Apigee usually lags behind because they need to do a lot of tests and any required development in their own platform. They need to do rigorous testing to make sure that nothing breaks. Because of that, it takes them a while to upgrade whatever components have been upgraded by the open-source vendor that owns the utility. We've been chasing them for a particular upgrade for well over a year and a half, and they have not done that upgrade. It is creating a security risk for us as an enterprise, but that upgrade has not been done, even though the open-source vendor, the owner of the utility, has upgraded it a long time ago."

What other advice do I have?

Because of the multiple components it has, if you are trying to implement this in your environment, you need people who are experienced in most of these open-source utilities, such as NGINX, Drupal, OpenAL, etc. You would require someone knowledgeable in those utilities to be able to support the environment. I would rate Apigee an eight out of ten.
Rajender Reddy
Software Development Manager at Reliance Jio
Has good administration and monitoring features but there are issues with integration

What is our primary use case?

We use Apigee every day. Because we have a backend system, we use Apigee to capture and track all of our transactions and for monitoring calls, which is the target for our client service. We then use this information to create a report and provide a price for each transaction. For this reason, we created a proxy that we use as an integration layer, like API management, which helps build applications. For that reason, each and every call goes through Apigee so that we can track and capture all of the information.

• "There are just a lot of security features in general."
  • "I see some lagging in regards to integration capacity"

What other advice do I have?

We would definitely recommend Apigee. You can use Apigee to create proxies (and share API proxies with consumers), monitor calls, and provide security for particular endpoints. We have a complete telephone portal under Apigee, I would recommend it. I would give Apigee a rating of seven or eight out of ten. The API moderation, administration monitoring, product architecture, infrastructure, and overall quality is good. The only area lagging is integration capability.
AS
Digital Native Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, customizable, and fairly easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for developing and publishing internally IPA (80% of the time). The other 20% of the time the product is used to create and develop an ecosystem with various partners.

• "The developer portal is very useful to customers."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved upon. We'd like it if it was less costly."

What other advice do I have?

We don't directly use the solution we are a service company so we help our customers use the product. We are consultants. I can't say which version of the solution we're using at this time. I'd advise other organizations that you have value any solution beyond a price comparison with other API management solutions. You will need to look at APS strategies needed in the organization and the importance of creating API products. Once that strategy is laid out you can put the right resources in place. Basically, everyone needs to have a plan first before investing in an API management solution. In…
See 12 more Apigee Reviews