Apigee Review

A very stable platform with automated installation and useful proxy, security, and traffic control features

What is our primary use case?

I'm a developer as well as an architect. We have internal clients as well as external clients. We have other teams within the enterprise that use this platform. They do development, and sometimes, we do development for them. Then we host these solutions in the same infrastructure. We also have external clients who want to integrate their applications with us.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been having point-to-point connections with external vendors. It has actually helped us to be able to integrate our internal applications with external vendors. It is more like a single point of entry into the enterprise. Initially, we used to have the vendor directly interact with the application owners, but now, we come in between as an integration partner for external vendors. All integration has to go through us, which makes management as well as security simpler.

What is most valuable?

We have been using Apigee mostly for proxy FGIs. We also use its security features as well as traffic control features.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the functionalities of a typical API gateway, Apigee is actually doing its job, but when it involves integration with backend applications, which some gateways have, I don't believe it has this functionality. You have to do Java or do some other low-level coding before you are able to do the integration.

Apigee has a lot of components, which means that management will be a bit difficult. It probably has ten different components, and all of these components leverage open-source utilities, such as NGINX. When those open-source vendors upgrade their utility, Apigee usually lags behind because they need to do a lot of tests and any required development in their own platform. They need to do rigorous testing to make sure that nothing breaks. Because of that, it takes them a while to upgrade whatever components have been upgraded by the open-source vendor that owns the utility. We've been chasing them for a particular upgrade for well over a year and a half, and they have not done that upgrade. It is creating a security risk for us as an enterprise, but that upgrade has not been done, even though the open-source vendor, the owner of the utility, has upgraded it a long time ago.

We've been using this solution for four years.

It has been a very stable platform. We've not really had any production issues. We've not had any issues where the production environment went down, and we were not able to use it at all.

We've not really had so many issues. Whenever we had issues, sometimes, they responded quickly, and sometimes, it took them a while to get back to us, but it has not really affected the business because we usually have development issues or issues that don't cause an outage.

It is not straightforward. It has multiple components, so setting it up is not straightforward, but the good thing about this is that they have automated a lot of the setup. It comes as an appliance or in RPM packages that you can install at specific locations in the operating system. So, its installation is easy because it has been automated.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the multiple components it has, if you are trying to implement this in your environment, you need people who are experienced in most of these open-source utilities, such as NGINX, Drupal, OpenAL, etc. You would require someone knowledgeable in those utilities to be able to support the environment.

I would rate Apigee an eight out of ten.

4.19
More Apigee reviews from users
...who compared it with Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.