Apigee Review

Easy policy creation, and a straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as API Management, as both proxy and security.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our company's time to market. When we deploy a policy for a particular API, the creation of the policy and the gateway is significantly faster than what we were doing with our Layer 7 gateways. It's easier to develop the policy and to walk through the policy using the Apigee interface.

What is most valuable?

The ease of creating policies has been the most useful of the solution's features. It's a quick ramp-up time. It's easy for our support staff to implement the policies in the API management layer.

What needs improvement?

The company needs to better support webhooks. It used to support webhooks and their policies and they have since stopped. They had some issues in the product and they abandoned the support for them. It's not come back since. Webhooks are still used by some of our production partners. It would be nice to see the support for them come back. Right now, we have to pull the API instead of using a webhook to do the notification.

I've been using the solution for three months.

With Apigee, there are frequent updates, so they seem to have a very strong user base.

There's a lot of users in Layer 7 too, but we've had some bad experience with support from the company. Stability-wise, it's hard to say. I don't think we've had any bugs associated with the gateway itself where the gateway has failed, but we've had support issues from Layer 7.

In comparison, Google and Apigee have done a fantastic job supporting their product.

Scalability wise, I've heard from some customers that Apigee has some limitations on scalability, but we haven't experienced those as of yet.

As far as Layer 7 is concerned, it seems that the policies are very deterministic as to how the actual gateways function. Some of them have had a significant impact and we've had to scale up their clusters just to support a minimal load. Some are disappointed with the number of services that we have to engage for Layer 7, and the number of clusters we've had to create. We've had to create a pretty large cluster for supporting some applications.

The Layer 7 gateway's front end is for a high-end brand product. We have the largest loyalty program in Canada. Our PC Optimum program, for instance, uses our Layer 7 gateways. There are 14 million users that use the PC Optimum card that goes through those gateways.

The initial setup of Apigee is straightforward. Google/Apigee gives us all the information to support their private owned clouds. The interface is very straightforward to use as well. It's a lot easier than the Layer 7 product.

CA was overly complex in its configuration. CA also does significantly more as far as security and policies are concerned. It has developed a huge number of policies into their product. It's way more than what I would expect an API management product to be. It took us two months to set up the solution.

We basically took the policies from Layer 7 that we had previously created and we transformed them to policies for Apigee. That was fairly easy.

In terms of deployment, we haven't transformed totally from Layer 7 yet to Apigee. Our support is very low on Apigee right now. There's only one person that's working on Apigee currently. It's minimal. Accenture is handling the support, as they did for CA. We had about five people supporting the gateways on Layer 7.

For Apigee, we had the assistance of an integrator. The company was Accenture, and we have a good working relationship with them. They're currently supporting the platforms in many facets. The deployment was straightforward, so they didn't need to do too much.

There was no specialization or skill required for them for Apigee, but there was with Layer 7.

We looked at a couple of other vendors. We looked at offerings by Red Hat and some others. We basically looked at the market leaders.

From an enterprise point of view, our digital division had already migrated to GCP. GCP uses Apigee by default. They had selected Apigee initially. That was one factor in choosing Apigee over CA. Another factor is that it would support on-premises and it would support our Azure environment as well. The ease of use, creation of the policy, and the developer portal experience were all factors. The fact that developers could easily create the policies themselves without having to get our administration staff or engineers to actually create the policies was a big factor as well.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are still in the process of testing the solution. We're using both on-premises and cloud versions.

CA has developed a sort-of enterprise service spot inside of their API management platform. It does interesting things with files, and it has a lot of security features that are not normally used in a majority of API calls. It's overkill. Its portal is very clunky and very difficult to set up. Its gateways and its policies are not straight forward either. It basically requires a three-day class to understand how to get in and add policies and it's not very simple to add policies into the CA Layer 7 gateway. Apigee does a way better job.

CA is also owned by Broadcom now and when that transition happened, Broadcom did a lousy job of handing off support of that product. They basically fired everybody from CA. They left us without production support for a good part of a year. We've had CA for about 2 years and mostly we used the on-premises version, but we had a small amount on the cloud as well.

Because of these reasons, we're moving away from Layer 7 to Apigee.

In terms of advice to those considering using Apigee versus CA, I'd say they need to understand their use cases for APIs.

I would rate Apigee eight out of ten.

In comparison, I would rate CA five out of ten.