AWS Auto Scaling Review

A well-documented, user-friendly interface with a simple setup for the automatic launching and configuring of servers

What is our primary use case?

I, currently, have a large customer with more than 30 servers, which we provide APIs to their customers for online gaming. Their customers are divided into three regions, namely, Asia, Europe, and the rest of the world.

If the three default servers required for each region reaches 50% capacity, new servers are automatically launched and the traffic is divided among them.

We follow continuous integration or continuous deployment (CI/CD) practices. When all servers are working correctly, we create new servers, configure them, delete the old servers, and the new servers are immediately deployed.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, our clients were facing a lot of issues with their servers using another cloud platform. The main issue was that their server slowed down when they had more traffic.

Once we moved them to AWS and created the appropriate architecture, it solved the problem.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to select a minimum amount of active servers so that a new server automatically launches if one fails.

What needs improvement?

The only area of improvement is the speed at which servers are launched. When cleaning up to six servers at a time, it can take up to 15 to 20 minutes to launch new servers.

I have been using the solution for more than 2 years.

The solution is stable and does not require much maintenance.

The solution is scalable and still working perfectly.

The customer service/technical support is quite responsive.

I previously used XO Communications, which was very complicated. Whereas AWS Auto Scaling is user-friendly and easy to understand.

Additionally, AWS is a very well-documented solution, which makes it even easier to use.

The initial setup of the solution was straightforward.

For large customers, the deployment of the solution takes around one month to complete on-site. For small customers, the deployment is faster and we have the option to do it telephonically.

The pricing is good. I have not had any customers that have complained about the price.

What other advice do I have?

Previously, when I did not know about Auto Scaling, I would manually configure servers and provide it to a customer, but the price was very high. Now, everything is configured automatically. Therefore, I would recommend AWS Auto Scaling.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, VMware, Splunk and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.