AWS Glue Review

It can generate the code and has a good user interface, but it lacks Java support

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for file ingestion. Its primary role is to ingest a file from a vendor to a database.

What is most valuable?

Its user interface is quite good. You just need to choose some options to create a job in AWS Glue.

The code-generation feature is also useful. If you don't want to customize it and simply want to read a file and store the data in the database, it can generate the code for you.

What needs improvement?

Currently, it supports only two languages in the background: Python and Scala. From our customization point of view, it would be helpful if it can also support Java in the background.

I have been using AWS Glue for three months. We have just started using these services.

We have not been using AWS Glue for a long time. Till now, we haven't found any issues.

Their technical support is good. We faced an issue with AWS Glue where we had to read a flat file. In a flat file, you only have spaces. You don't have commas or anything else. AWS Glue does not directly support flat files. You need to provide it with an expression to read the file, and that expression itself has some limitation of characters. We contacted the AWS support team. They had a call with us and first tried to understand our problem and then our use case. We gave them some sample files for our use case, and they come up with a solution for this limitation. There are some custom patterns in AWS Glue that can be used. Even though they took some time, they provided the solution. If you give a file today, they will take three to four days to get back.

It was straightforward. A lot of documentation is available on the AWS website, which can guide you through the simple steps to set it up. Its setup was easy for me.

It is not expensive. AWS Glue works on the serverless architecture. We get charged for the time the server is up. For our use case, we have to use it once in a day, and it is not expensive for us.

What other advice do I have?

We have just recently started to use this solution. We haven't used all features properly. It is good for the features we are using. We did not find any drawbacks or limitations so far. We are already getting whatever we want from it.

I would rate AWS Glue a seven out of ten. It needs improvements in terms of Java support and the turnaround time for our problems.