AWS Lake Formation Review

Good security, excellent online resources and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a cloud data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The security of the solution is pretty good.

The solution has many features that are applicable to events such as audits.

The solution offers a lot of documentation online that users can use to help with troubleshooting or learning the systems. We rely on these materials when we need support.

What needs improvement?

The solution could make improvements around orchestration and doing some automation stuff on AWS front automation. It would be useful if we could use automation to build images and use hardened images which are CIS compliant.

For AWS, currently, we are facing the challenge when previewing. On AWS, we have set up a scanner instance with a Nexus scanner. For some reason, the scanner instance has been set up on AWS so that if it's in one region or maybe if it is deployed on one subnet, the other subnet is not reachable within the same region. The scanner is not reachable to the different subnets. For example, if there is a subnet A where the scanner is deployed, and if we want to scan the subnet B within the same region, the scanner is not reachable due to the fact that it's in Subnet A. That's a problem we are currently facing and trying to troubleshoot that.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

The solution is very stable. We haven't experienced issues such as bugs or glitches. AWS if very good, performance-wise. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I don't really have any insights into scaling the solution. It's not my area of expertise. I haven't attempted to scale yet, so I can't speak to its capabilities.

We have different project teams using the solution across the organization curently.

We've never dealt with technical support just yet. If there is a need, we might reach out. However, I can't speak to their level of service as we've never used them yet.

Each team in our organization has the option to work with whatever solution they like. Others might use Azure, for example. We, right now, use AWS which we find to be more agile and scalable.

Whichever solution a team chooses wold be based on their own unique requirements.

I wouldn't describe the initial setup as complex. It's pretty straightforward.

For deployment, you basically just download it and start working. It's easy.

We didn't really have a deployment strategy in place. We are at the start of all of this automation stuff. Right now, different project teams are using the cloud. It's new for them as well. We are trying to see how best we can try to get these images, hardened images, deployed in an automated fashion.

There is a dedicated team that handles maintenance on the product. Every product team is responsible for their own setup plan (subscription), and they maintain it. Maintenence might be five or ten people per 1,000 users. It depends on the team size. Eveyone is scattered all across the globe. It's pretty difficult to say which team is handling maintenance and how many are responsible for it as different teams are independantly using the solution.

I'm not privvy to licesning information. I'm not sure how much the solution costs.

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with AWS. We're just a customer.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

The thing is that we are not forcing the end-user or the project team to deploy the application. They have the liberty to choose their own platform. Either they can go with AWS or they can go with Azure. Most of the projects which are deployed on non-Windows OS tend to go for AWS.

My area of expertise is more in the auditing of the security standards and maintaining the security requirements as per the industry standard. I'm more in a security architect kind of role.

Every solution has its pros and cons, however, for our purposes, this solution works quite well for us.

I'd rate it overall at eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More AWS Lake Formation reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics
Learn what your peers think about AWS Lake Formation. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.