Azure Firewall Review

Provides a good link to Azure and SQL servers but should have groupings for servers

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an internal firewall device.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides a good link to Azure and SQL servers.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to be able to create groupings for servers and offer groups of IP addresses.

I would, also, like to see the manager built into the solution more, such as concerns Azure Firewall Manager.

I would also like to see some of the items that come with the preview version for the next version with IDS be addressed, as well as the ability to categorize websites, which is done with external traffic.

We have been using Azure Firewall for around a year.

The solution has the same stability as Azure.

The solution should be capable of self-scaling, which is one of the features we like about it. We have not encountered any issues with this.

We have never been in contact with technical support concerning the firewall bits, although we have spoken to them about the solution in a more general context.

I would rate the technical support as a seven-point-five out of ten.

The initial setup was simple.

The deployment of the firewall took about five minutes and full deployment through the Azure mechanism lasted around an hour.

The solution does not require any maintenance.

We handled the initial setup internally.

Azure Firewall is quite an expensive product. It can be challenging to work out the price as the fee varies depending on the amount of data that is run with the solution.

Only the built-in usage level incurs licensing fees. There are no additional ones.

Cisco ASA is a better product. The ASA offers VPN functionality that is not found in Azure Firewall, although an ESA can be used as a simple alternative. It's much easier to deploy the Azure Firewall in high availability mode and to make it more scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I would estimate the number of people in our organization who are utilizing the solution to be 100 +.

My advice to others is to set up a free account and try it. It's relatively easy to do. Only this way can a person see if the solution suits his needs.

I rate Azure Firewall as a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure

We tend to use the latest update and we're looking at the previous ones as well.
More Azure Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Azure Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.