Azure Firewall Overview

Azure Firewall is the #22 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks VM-Series: Azure Firewall vs Palo Alto Networks VM-Series

What is Azure Firewall?

Azure Firewall is a managed, cloud-based network security service that protects your Azure Virtual Network resources. It is a fully stateful firewall as a service with built-in high availability and unrestricted cloud scalability.

Azure Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Azure Firewall Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Firewall pricing:
  • "Azure Firewall is more expensive. If Microsoft can make Azure Firewall cheaper, I can see that all clients will think of using it. One client used FortiGate because it is much cheaper. Some clients ask me for Cisco, but in the cloud estimate, I found its cost is the same as Azure Firewall."

Azure Firewall Reviews

Vladimir Jirasek
Founder & CEO at Foresight Cyber Ltd
May 11, 2020
Easy to set up, good integration, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Azure Firewall makes up part of our security solution. We use it internally but we are a consulting company and also advise our customers on the use of it.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration into the overall cloud platform."
  • "Currently, it only supports IP addresses, so you have to be specific about the IPs that are in your environment."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to be clear about your requirements. It is critical to know what the capabilities of the firewall are, as well as what is nice to have when it comes to filtering and protecting the environment. There are different threat profiles when it comes to protecting user traffic. For example, in a VDI environment, where the users are in the cloud, generating traffic and browsing the internet on virtual machines, Azure might not be the best fit. On the other hand, to protect the workloads on servers like application servers or database servers…
reviewer1297926
Owner at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 22, 2020
Recently added features such as SD-WAN have greatly simplified operations

What is our primary use case?

We are currently working with Microsoft, trying to develop a new solution which is based on VeloCloud. It's an SD-WAN solution. This product has not been launched in China yet and we still have some work to do. I'm the company owner and five of my team use Azure Firewall. It's a startup team and I work with Microsoft directly.

• "Great security and connectivity."
  • "The interface could be improved, it's not very user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

The network firewall is a complex project, you have to review all the requirements. It's possible that sometimes the Azure Firewall won't be able to support some things because they customize their applications and they may not meet with the Azure Firewall's features. Each user has unique requirements on shaping or manipulating network traffic. I wouldn't recommend any product without doing the research. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Azure Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Christian Cutajar
Head of IT at NetRefer
Mar 16, 2020
Good pricing, useful features, and satisfactory technical support

What is our primary use case?

Basically, our organization is using the solution to inspect the traffic. I'm using the solution as the main defense system prior to de-traffication on the NGX layer (layer seven). Then, of course, we're forwarding to the Kubernetes cluster.

• "The solution has many useful features. For example, the solution allows users to create virtual IP addresses."
  • "The solution doesn't offer the same capabilities of Fortinet. It should offer intrusion prevention and advance filtering. These are two very useful features offered on Fortinet that Azure lacks."

What other advice do I have?

We're Azure partners and have an enterprise agreement with the company, however, we may be switching. We also have a dedicated Account Manager with the company. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's missing a few capabilities our organization would really like to see.
reviewer1404387
Cloud Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 20, 2020
Stable and can autoscale but requires more use cases

What is our primary use case?

We mostly utilize the solution for effectively controlling the networks.

• "The solution can autoscale."
  • "Azure should be able to work better as a balancer also, instead of just being a firewall. It should have a wider mandate."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer at this time. We don't have any kind of special business relationship with Azure. I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm currently using is. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten overall. It works well for us in terms of controlling traffic and if is stable and can scale, however, there should be more use cases available.
KrishnaInfosec
Manager - Network & Security at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 20, 2020
Easy to deploy and scales well, but next-generation firewall features should be added

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and we are in the data center space. We provide different solutions, including firewalls such as Azure Firewall, to our clients depending on their needs. We have a large customer base that is global in scope and we provide hosting services as well as managed services. We have solutions deployed in both public cloud and private cloud environments. We typically use this solution in the perimeter layer, although we do have some use cases where we handle East-west traffic.

• "The Layer four features are okay and meet my business needs."
  • "This solution is not mature when it comes to handling perimeter traffic like internet browsing."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for internet-facing network traffic. When it comes to rating this solution, there are two components here. For layer four traffic, I would rate it an eight out of ten. For layer seven traffic, however, I would rate it less. Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Mina Aziz
Senior System Engineer at Effvision
Aug 25, 2020
Good control over network permissions and the best for using with all Microsoft solutions

• "The feature that I have found the most valuable is the control over the network permissions and the network."
  • "They can improve the pricing of Azure Firewall."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Azure Firewall, but it is all about the client's priority and budget. If a client wants to use Azure Firewall, we do that. If the clients wants FortiGate or Sophos, or the cost is higher for the clients to use Azure Firewall, they can move to FortiGate or Sophos. For low budget or low cost, I recommend FortiGate. I would rate Azure Firewall an eight out of ten.
SajidKhan
Senior Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Oct 16, 2020
Good technical support but lacks machine learning and has a lot of limitations

• "Microsoft's technical support is very good. They're quite knowledgable and responsive."
  • "The solution lacks artificial intelligence and machine learning. It might be in the roadmap. However, currently, it's not available."

What other advice do I have?

Features Azure Web App Firewall Fortiweb WAF F5-ASM Remarks OWASP Top 10 Attack Yes Yes Yes Azure WAF supports only SQL and XSS protection AI-based Machine Learning Threat Detection No Yes NO Deep Integration into the Fortinet Security Fabric and Third-Party Scanners No Yes Yes Solving the Challenge of False Threat Detections No Yes No FortiWeb’s AI-based machine learning addresses false positive and negative threat detections without the need to tediously manage whitelists and fine-tune threat detection policies. Advanced Graphical Analysis and Reporting No Yes Yes Layer 7 server load…
Velizar-Todorov
IT Senior Architect, Infrastructure and Cloud Solutions at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 23, 2020
Stable and scalable with outstanding technical support

What is our primary use case?

On-premise to cloud Cloud to on-premise

• "The solution is very stable. When comparing it to other environments, it's actually quite impressive."
  • "We find it's different implementing it region-to-region. It might help if it was universal across all regions."

What other advice do I have?

We've used both the on-premises as well as the cloud deployment models. We also occasionally use a hybrid model. During migrations, we use hybrids. Once the migration is done, we move onto the full cloud and pass if over to private cloud or have public access as necessary. The Azure firewall is prioritized as it is managed solution and does not require any infrastructure base (backbone) hardware support.
See 2 more Azure Firewall Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Azure Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.