Blue Coat ProxySG [EOL] Review

The solution lacks integration with SDN architecture. However, it does feature intuitive proxy policy deployment using a VPN

What is our primary use case?

The main use case of the solution was to deploy it as a proxy to access internet. In some cases it was an explicit proxy and in other cases it was implicit. We also explored the features of ADN to use caching and compression.

How has it helped my organization?

There were benefits but the evolution is slow, hence wanting to move on with the product. You can deploy the product in cloud but you can't automate it as the IP address can be assigned only after acquiring the serial number, hence you would not have a mechanism (by logging in/API) to apply the serial number beforehand so that the deployment can be automated.

What is most valuable?

Proxy Solution and ADN. Specifically its integration capability with Blue Coat director to apply seamless policy across all of Blue Coat. Also, it has intuitive proxy policy deployment using VPN. You can even forward-chain your proxy. Overall a good solution but growth requires automation support.

What needs improvement?

Automation for deployment of the device and pricing, which might be secondary considerations. The main consideration is deployment over multiple platforms and integration with SDN architecture.

Support for Blue Coat is good on the basic level problems. As the complexity increases, figure it out yourself as it appears that most engineers are not aware of their own products.

No. I used Blue Coat first but since it did not have the capabilities I was looking for I switched.

It was complex, especially in the VM environment. In the case of hardware, it was simple but you still you need to be aware of proxy deployment along with MACH5 deployment.

In-house. You can do it easily by yourself as the documentation is fairly good.

Some customers are adamant as they prefer Blue Coat as a vendor over others. They also provide free training, allowing you to learn a new technology.

Licensing is the major challenge whether manual or automated. Specifically, if you are using a VM edition, you need to be sure that you are using the specified amount of RAM and CPU cores or else you will not be allowed to configure it.

Yes. I did a test on Websense and also on Fortigate. I also did test on McAfee Web Security Gateway and Baracuda.

What other advice do I have?

None as of now.