Blue Coat ProxySG [EOL] Review

Granular control over website access has lead to decreased bandwidth and increased performance

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for this solution is to protect the private IP for our customers who do not want to disclose it. It is also used for granular control of web access for employees, including how they are using the internet and what sites they are visiting. It provides control over how much data they are using, as well as what kind of data they are uploading and downloading from internet websites.

How has it helped my organization?

One of our customers is a leading bank in India, with more than ten thousand employees across the globe. They did not have any restrictions or control over what kinds of sites the employees should or should not access. Since the implementation of this solution, the bandwidth has decreased and the performance in terms of internet access has increased.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Policy Manager. After that, the Proxy Reporter is the next best function. You can integrate it with a cloud proxy as well as DLP.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the product had inbuilt queuing for Quality of Service. They do have a solution, but for that, you need to buy another appliance.

Two and a half years.

This is definitely a stable product.

The scalability of this solution is fantastic.

The number of boxes depends on how many users are creating concurrent sessions and the bandwidth of their organization. The bank where this solution was implemented has more than ten thousand users.

They have fantastic technical support.

If you have to replace the appliance then you just have to send back what you have.

I have not previously worked on another solution, but I am familiar with the competitors.

If you have previously worked on the product then it is quite simple. However, if you are new to it then the implementation is a little bit tricky.

On the Cloud Proxy, the deployment takes less than one day. If you are using the ProxySG or the on-premises solution, it will take one to two weeks depending on the policy configuration, the size of the organization, and what kinds of policies are needed.

The number of staff you need to maintain the solution depends on the size of the organization, and how many changes occur on a daily basis. If you have one thousand employees then you need at least one employee to look after it.

We handle the implementation of this solution for our customers.

There is a perpetual license, except for URL filtering that you have to renew annually.

Additional features, such as Flash Proxies, have their own licensing fees that depend on what the requirements are.

I have reviewed the Gartner Magic Quadrant Report. From that, I know the competitors, where the vendors stand, and what the drawbacks are.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to determine the proper requirements and do the proper planning. If you have any doubt then you can ask for support from the Blue Coat staff. The conditions should be agreed upon before you start implementing.

The functionality of this solution is one of the best, and it is leading the market.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.