Broadcom StrataDNX Review

Easy integration with hardware platforms; Proven merchant silicon for routing and switching

What is our primary use case?

We use StrataDNX mainly as the mobile backhaul solution for IP routing. We're using StrataDNX chipset in our IP router portfolio

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution is easy to integrate with any of the other hardware platforms on the market. It manages the routing and tweaking capabilities very well. the Knowledge Based Processor (KBP) is additional handy feature to help the StrataDNX to get a better scale

What needs improvement?

The scaling number of IPv4/IPv6 RIB/FIB, OSPF/IS-IS/BGP routing table and MAC table size could be increased.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The stability is good. I've never had a problem.

It was straightforward for the first iteration. When we sell our routers it's a matter of installing the software on top of it so there's nothing too complex.

What other advice do I have?

Use of the solution needs to be decided on a case-by-case basis. For the mobile backhaul I would recommend it but for the internet peering, or P core routers, it should be tested before implementing in the live network. For the mobile backhaul or up to the PE, however, StrataDNX is a proven solution.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Our Router product is using StrataDNX chipset