Brocade Ethernet Switches Review

Secure access to storage data; lacks a graphical interface

What is our primary use case?

I work as a system infrastructure engineer and our company is a customer of Brocade.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features of this solution is that it works with the concept of zoning. There's a zone for each server and there are services in the storage. When the link of a full port is failing, it automatically switches to another port so you don't lose the connection. That's pretty important for the high level of availability of the applications and the access to the storage data.

What needs improvement?

There are other solutions that are free and that enable you to check the access of the ports and the IU stats also. In this solution there isn't one for the switch that allows for checking the stats, the health of the ports and all the data that exist in the switch. It's just like CLI commands. This solution doesn't have a graphical interface and that's an issue.

As mentioned, a graphical interface should be included in any new release - it would increase options.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

This is a very stable solution.

It's a scalable solution. You can use two switches as one, single switch in the fabric. You can add two and possibly three switches, so they can use it as if it was one switch.

I've had some contact with technical support relating to hardware failures, nothing serious and it didn't affect the production. I was satisfied with the support they provided. They were good.

What other advice do I have?

For storage it's a good solution, especially if you're working with e-paying solutions.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More Brocade Ethernet Switches reviews from users