BusinessGenetics xBML Review

Has built-in, existing processes that can be easily modified

What is our primary use case?

We use BusinessGenetics xBML for different things. For example, we used it on a customer merge when two organizations merged. We had to go back, redefine and match their processes. That was one of the use cases.

What is most valuable?

One of the things that I have found most valuable is that it is very easy to use. For example, they have built-in, existing processes that you can easily modify.

Additionally, it is very quickly deployed. There were a couple of payroll processes that we looked at that they had on the system. We didn't have to start from the beginning. And because it was a merger, we also needed to find a better way, like standardization, for how the organizations worked and not to take one or the other company's methods.

It helped us to try not to just model the processes per organization, but to come up with a standard, to see how other organizations are doing their payroll process.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would not say that the solution itself needs improvement, meaning the product side, but more that the overall approach of the organization does. At the moment there are very few people who can lead training for the product. I think that area needs to improve. They should train more organizations because now they're the only ones that do training. As the product gets more and more customers, it takes longer to schedule a training. They need to get more training providers.

The vendor is the only one doing the training. You schedule it in March and you find you can only do training quite far down the line and maybe you also want to do deployment.

They're still entering the South African market, but I think now they have enough customers to get other providers so you won't have wait too long for the training before you can start running with the product.

I have been using BusinessGenetics xBML for about a year and a half.

It is a very stable solution. It's funny because sometimes our technical guys complain that we sign maintenance agreements with customers where they have certain dates when they go and spend time on site at the customer. They go there and there is nothing to do. So sometimes instead of going they just look at the server and make sure that it is working well. Sometimes they end up just going to the customers with their laptops and trying to get some work by seeing if there are any issues. But because of how stable the product is, they end up doing over and above what they were supposed to do.

It is a very scalable solution. It is absolutely scalable.

Our clients are different sizes. They are medium to large organizations. One customer is the Metro. It's the Johannesburg Metro which is the biggest Metro in South Africa. It is quite large. And another client is just a medium type installation. We've not actually done the smaller ones, though.

First of all, we provide the first line of support. They contact us and we provide the minimal maintenance. If we find a bug within the system, only then do we call in BusinessGenetics.

Sometimes the customer will say, "I installed it. I don't know what happened," or "I bought a new laptop. Can you just help to reinstall?" There is nothing really to be done and we end up doing those types of things.

In terms of BusinessGenetics xBML's technical support, it is very good.

We once had an issue when we deployed for a customer and we found out, even though they were telling us they're running Microsoft Server 2016, that the machine that they were hoping to use wouldn't work. They gave us one of the oldest machines, I can't even remember which version of Microsoft it was, but it was quite old. We phoned the guys at BusinessGenetics and explained the situation. The technical guy was able to help and we were running within a day as well. They were able to help the customer go through the procurement. Once the customer had a new server, we we're able to migrate them to the new server very easily.

The initial setup is quite easy. As I mentioned, sometimes we can even reuse templates that were built in to their products.

It is also easy from the business user side. They are able to just figure out for themselves how to get the product rolling.

The product is quite user friendly.

The installation was quick, it takes less than a day.

We just install and configure it for the customer, even customizing certain screens with their logo, and all that takes less than a day.

There is a cost for configuration and that's it, I think. Unless the customer asks us to bring in the business analysts. In our case, there are different options. Sometimes we've installed it and the customer does the actual modules themselves. We also have other customers where we provide the modeling. We take the processes and model it on behalf of the customer. Some customers don't need that and prefer to do it themselves. So those are the costs.

There is the cost of the business analyst and maybe a project manager, but it's never full time. It's just somebody to check what the analysts are doing, confirm it, and then just provide the reports. They don't necessarily have to be on site.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate BusinessGenetics xBML an eight. That is due to their training capacity.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone thinking about this solution is that they must work around the whole training thing to make sure that they are comfortable with it and that it can be done earlier than the given timelines. They need to build up their training capacity.