CA Continuous Delivery Director Review

Enables multiple stakeholders to coordinate software delivery across multiple environments

What is our primary use case?

Delivery of business applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Agile and DevOps teams can now self-organize to deliver applications autonomously.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the thorough coordination of software delivery across multiple environments. Multiple actors (typically business stakeholders, devs & ops engineers, release engineers, testers, and change managers) can easily cooperate to ensure a proper and repeatable delivery, by combining constant follow-up on manual and automated activities.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and dashboarding could be improved. Release pipelines should be creatable via templates as well as easily integrable/chained together. Visual navigation could also be improved when the pipelines become too large.

No issues with stability.

Scalability is fine, up to hundreds of pipelines. Above that, the user interface might become a limiting factor.

Tech support is good. The tech support team is easily accessible.

Initial setup can be done in days. The most complex part is the organizational change around the tool.

Consider extra licenses for additional release pipelines (maintenance or hotfix releases, for instance).

Micro Focus Release Control (formerly Serena Release Control), Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and IBM UrbanCode Release.

What other advice do I have?

Implementation should focus on Agile and DevOps teams. Plan it to gradually create a scalable organization.