CA DATACOM Review

Much easier to install than it once was and no issues with stability or scalability

What is most valuable?

Over the years, with the different releases, and for sure the upgrades, the installation process has gotten a lot easier because they use Cora Software Manager now to to install it. And the upgrade process, they use the new active upgrade process. Those features make everything a lot easier, a whole lot simpler than it used to be in the past.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of features that come out with each upgrade, but our application that runs on it has been around for a long time; they sort of decommissioned this application. So they don't really take advantage of a lot of the new features that come out with the Datacom upgrades and new releases.

Over 20 years, for CA products.

This product is very stable, compared to a lot of other DBMSs that run in our shop. When I was at Verizon and at IBM, we seldom had any problems with the stability of the product. It's very stable.

No, no issues at all.

I call them all the time and they're very good. They're very responsive to any problems that we may have with a new release.

I've always supported Datacom. I have been put on other projects that use other DBMSs; I did IDMS for a while, I did a little bit of ADABAS for a while, and I even did a little bit of DB2, but they were only on a cross-training basis. Datacom is really the only one that I have been the main support person for. The other ones I've kind of dabbled in them.

It was very complex back in the day, but today because of the improvements that they've made by putting the software on Cora Software Manager, to be distributed to us, and because of the way that they do the upgrades now with the active upgrade, it's gotten a lot simpler and less time consuming to install.

I'm not in the position to choose. This product was at Verizon before I even started, so it was just something that I was asked to support. I didn't have a choice of saying, "Well, okay, do we want to put this application on DB2? Do we want to put it on ADABAS? Do we want to use Datacom?" It was already in place when I started.

What other advice do I have?

I would say to use it because of the stability. From what I've seen - because I've worked around other technicians that actually support the other products, the way that I support this - most of the time when we go to outage calls, because we review any outages that happen, most of the outages that happen are with the other products and not mine.

I gave it a nine out of 10 because I really believe in it. Again, it's back to the stability and the support that we receive from the vendor on it, and the fact that we don't have too many issues with it at all. It's very stable.

1 visitor found this review helpful