CA Harvest Software Change Manager Review

It helps us identify where our source code is in the lifecycle. Managing polar requests for code reviews is difficult.

What is most valuable?

CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA Harvest SCM) provides a great way for us to store our source control. It provides the lifecycle features to identify where our source code is in the lifecycle of our software. The lifecycle stuff is probably the biggest feature that I like.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is really around the lifecycle features of the tool. It benefits our organization because it allows us to customize that lifecycle to match what we do, which makes it extremely easy for us to see where we are.

What needs improvement?

One of my personal favorite source control systems is Git. I've always been a huge fan of it. It is very, very easy to use. Things like GitHub and Bitbucket do a great job of managing Git and making it really, really easy for us to do things like polar requests for code reviews, and the separation of code into different swim lanes. That kind of management is really hard to do in Harvest, and I'd like to see that brought into the CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA Harvest SCM) product.

It does support us with our lifecycle, but the challenges with using it from a developer's point of view bring my score down a little bit. The features don’t always working as advertised.

The stability definitely could use some improvement. The software suite doesn't necessarily crash all the time, but some of the advertised features don't always work the way they've been promoted to work.

Scalability is very good. We use it on an enterprise level. We have a lot of outpatients who store their source code in there and we've never had any issues.

We were previously using a different solution. We ended up switching because we were out of support of the previous solution and we needed to upgrade to something. The old product was no longer being supported or created.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a strong desire for lifecycle with your source control management system, then by all means, CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA SCM) is the tool that should be researched and looked at. One word of advice is that CA is coming up with a new product called Unified Source Control. It provides an architecture that allows your developers to work with whatever tools they want, but in the backend, it uses CA Mainframe Software Manager (CA SCM).

When looking for a vendor, the thing that I really look for is enterprise support. We've worked with a couple small companies, and support has been a real big challenge. Enterprise support is one of the huge things for me.

More CA Harvest Software Change Manager reviews from users
...who compared it with Compuware ISPW
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Micro Focus and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: March 2021.
476,163 professionals have used our research since 2012.